so who can decipher a VIN?

david coppler
This post is 5406 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I know it is a TX500 but what year? 371-113736

Look at this chart:

http://www.dropbears.com/m/models/yamaha/modelcodes.htm

TX 500 A 73 371

Year 1973.

thank you!

Glad to help you.Bye.

:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Now here's a question related to that chart. My bike's vin number is 1J3-003744. Now, the 1J3 on that chart says it's a XS250 from 1980. But the bike's frame ID tag has the same vin and says made in 1976... ?

Now here's a question related to that chart. My bike's vin number is 1J3-003744. Now, the 1J3 on that chart says it's a XS250 from 1980. But the bike's frame ID tag has the same vin and says made in 1976... ?

1J3 is 1976 xs500 according to the VJMW

1J3 is 1976 xs500 according to the VJMW

Hi,

from the link 1L9 is shown as an XS360 '76' but in the UK 1L9 was the code for the XS250 (either cast or spoke wheel) 2H7 = XS1100 from onset of the modal introduction in to the UK so I would guess the list should be taken with errors & emmissions taken into account and does not cover the full set of I.D codes .... what happend to the Bl125,MA50M,CA50M,T50,T80 to name a few ... so I guess the list only covers the modals found & no xref to Known modals & codes.

Regards Jim

My 75 xs500b has a vin that starts with 371....

Hi,

That was the same vin in the UK too but the next modal we had was vined/coded 1H2 .... but I guess it would be more correct to call these numbers Engine and/or Frame numbers as at this point the VIN system had not been thought up. If you drop a few years before the first 2 or 3 digits where the known modal code E.G AS1-xxxxxxx was an AS1 (125 twin) the next model (AS3) started ,you guessed it AS3. With the introduction of the RD series , (in the UK) XS series & DT series the numbering changed to the systme we now all know .. I guess we could blame Kalamazoo (numbering system designer) for this along with Yamaha's increasing product range to produce a confusing system that has not been documented to well and has some real odd anomilies.

Sorry to post this to your reply but as it was in the thread & at the top it was simplier to do rather than find one that may be more topical.

Regards Jim

• 1 month later...

Hi,

That was the same vin in the UK too but the next modal we had was vined/coded 1H2 .... but I guess it would be more correct to call these numbers Engine and/or Frame numbers as at this point the VIN system had not been thought up. If you drop a few years before the first 2 or 3 digits where the known modal code E.G AS1-xxxxxxx was an AS1 (125 twin) the next model (AS3) started ,you guessed it AS3. With the introduction of the RD series , (in the UK) XS series & DT series the numbering changed to the systme we now all know .. I guess we could blame Kalamazoo (numbering system designer) for this along with Yamaha's increasing product range to produce a confusing system that has not been documented to well and has some real odd anomilies.

Sorry to post this to your reply but as it was in the thread & at the top it was simplier to do rather than find one that may be more topical.

Regards Jim

Hi, I have a 1972 Yamaha JT1 Mini Enduro 60 Vin JT1065145 would like to see what information I can find for it thanks.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online