Nodding bikers?

wild foamy
This post is 5499 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I nod now that I am on a 'proper' bike (got a Fazer 600 at the start of March after passing test mid Feb). Before that I was on a YBR125 and didn't really nod (I live in london so thought other bikers would just assume I was just a city commuter).

It is nice getting nods back. Usually it is the nicer riders who do it.

One thing I have noticed is you are always garunteed to get a nod back from a blues and twos rider :blink: They never fail to.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh, bikers are a nice bunch arent they?

i think its because im still on L-plates but havent resorted to a scooter that i tend to get the nods, almost as a "good on ya", of course in reality they are probably just laughing at me...

i always give a nod to other bikers apart from the snotty little gimps on the peds (they really do my head in)

i will even nod harley riders tho most of the time they just look at the divvyrat and turn theyre nose up

who remembers when you flashed a car the same model as yours?

dad used to have a "herbie" and that got the best reactions (as they still do now with the "W" wave)

it's harder now as the cars all look the same but in the 70's it was common. I drive an RX4 and we alway wave to each other as there are so few of them around!!

It happens still with Motorhomes. We took my dads out a couple of time last year, and all these old people kept waving. and it's not a subtle wave, it's full on stand up into the window, full semicircle type wave.....

To make matters worse, we have two Westies, and they insisted on sitting 'up front'. I felt my life was draining away before my eyes. I've bought a trailer, and we'll take the tent from now on.

Hi everyone.

ive noticed that when passing other bikers they will nod or tilt their head to the side, kind of like the frenchies' "waving of the leg" greeting. just a casual observation... thought i would point it out, is this a nationally recognised greeting or just unique to a select few bikers?

same i nod too, scooters i dont but at the lights i do reply if they talk to me

my miss dont understand y but she likes it

I remember that - back in the 70's my dad used to have a Zephyr V6 deluxe with a white vinyl roof - whenever we saw another one (which was rare) everyone waved!

As to nods - I tend to nod to everyone including scooters (though the oiks don't really understand), but i draw the line a Pizza delivery - I have some standards!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i ride a 50cc Yamaha aerox moped i always nod to bikers. im not 1 of these 'idiots' so to speak who break the law every 5 minutes, im quite happy to sit in a cue. i have no points on my licence and dont intend to have either. i no that quite a few L plate scooter riders are stupid, but its not all of us. i nod to every biker that i go past and rarely get a nod back, i no that its because moped riders have a bad name because of stupid people. il be so glad when im 17 and can take my bik test and ride my yzf r125.

always give a nod or a wave, warn of police/speed cameras and stop for any other biker broken down.......for me it's sort of like an unwritten law when it comes to biking, all of my mates do the same aswel.

Just a wee correction from the original post concernining 'those frenchies'.

In GB you have to nod as taking your hand off the throttle (nearest side to on-coming traffic) means the bike dies on you! French riders pass on the clutch lever side nearest to on-coming traffic so lower their hand off the handlebar grip giving a low wave or 'v'. (Not a high wave, btw, just at tank level) I do nod when passing others when moving slow at junctions when both hands are needed to control the bike.

The French will often move over (cars) to let bikers pass, even on single carriageway roads, and the rider lowers a leg to thank the driver/rider just passed. Usually I get a cramp in my leg though!

B-in-F

I havent been biking long and was reading this thread yesterday, i always give the nod and think its polite.

Today i was out on my bike near brigdenorth and rode past a bloke parked up on the side of the road, immediately this thread popped in my head and i thought "im going to help that person like all bikers should". I u-turned went back past the bloke and nodded for the 2nd time (i would of stopped this time but i bottled it), u-turned AGAIN and pulled up behind him. Just my luck that this bloke was the biggest T**T i've ever met!! The conversation went a little like this-

Hi mate, r u ok? not broken down r u?

NO IM FINE!!

Oh right ok, just thought id check

Yeah well next time dont bother.

I would of had a word but i was so shocked that i just went. Ruined my ride out, so if your ever broken down anywhere and i just ride past then please forgive me!!

i have been riding bikes since i was 16 my first was a Yamaha V50m....[what a weapon!] and i have always gave other bikers a nod or a wave,i think it is a great idea and it sets us apart from all the cacooned car drivers out there.that is the great thing about biking,we are all as barking mad as each other!

even the wife enjoys it when we are out and she gets a wave from another biker.

have noticed some of the cruiser brigade don't tend to bother reciprocating though.seems to be mainly sports bikes who respond around here. i have even got nods from the trailie riders but i will nod to everyone.

;););):blink:

In GB you have to nod as taking your hand off the throttle (nearest side to on-coming traffic) means the bike dies on you!

Nah - we just raise the left hand up to shoulder level and wave!!

have noticed some of the cruiser brigade don't tend to bother reciprocating though.

Depends partially on your location and partially on what you ride.

Cruisers and Sports traditionally don't mix for some reason. Speed vs Style, maybe.... I dunno.

I DO reciprocate, unless I'm watching the road and don't see you.

125s don't wave because they're fearfully gripping the bars too tight to let go.

Harleys don't wave because to do so would invalidate their insurance.

Goldwings don't wave because they're too busy trying to operate the heated seats, electric windscreen adjustment, heated grips, seat adjustment, stereo, radio, CD changer, SatNav, electric mirror adjustment, cruise control, cappuccino machine etc etc.

Nah - we just raise the left hand up to shoulder level and wave!!

125s don't wave because they're fearfully gripping the bars too tight to let go.

Harleys don't wave because to do so would invalidate their insurance.

Goldwings don't wave because they're too busy trying to operate the heated seats, electric windscreen adjustment, heated grips, seat adjustment, stereo, radio, CD changer, SatNav, electric mirror adjustment, cruise control, cappuccino machine etc etc.

PMSL... :crylaugh:

If I ride out with my other girly mate, shes usually in front of me...she nods, they (sometimes) nod back and then ignor me!!! Does one nod cover us both then? :lol::blink: take it that it does...Im not going lose any sleep over it or anything... :D

I tend to nod once if there is two or more bikers if there is a big crowd of them i might do it again half way passing and then to the few stragglers or you would be 3.gif3.gif as your going along lol

:yeahthat:

Guest camb97

Hey, got my very first nod today, feels like am part of the team now! :D (And am still wearing the L's)

Must have looked like a right idiot thou, holding up the triffic on my way to work as am still breaking her in! :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online