YBR 125 engine problems

samslam2000uk
This post is 5525 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

First post!

I am after some guidance or some sort of assisstance with my YBR 125!

I have recently aquired a nice, loud, top end tapping noise when I start my bike, I have an idea what this is, but I was after some ideas as to whether it would be more sensible to fix the problem, or to replace the engine.

It is a high mileage bike, i've done around 30K, and obviously I understand these bikes arent meant to do such high mileage in such a short space of time (its an '06).

I am mechanically competent enough to fix anything that has gone wrong, but i dont know how expensive it will be to buy the replacement parts, or how much would actually need replacing.

So does anyone know if you can actually fit a slightly bigger engine into the YBR frame? i was thinking i could do this similtaneously if i do have to replace it!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

what exactly is that noise? It comes out only when starting the motor? all the time? or when in high revs?

Has the engins power droped down? Is the oil level OK? There are a lot of things to check before you come down into engine changing...

Anyway, if you are up to a biger engine, there are only a few options in biger bore kits (I've seen some 150's heads that can fit in the same carter).

Don't try to go further than 150-175cc.

That's the bike and it's designed for that amound of power and speed.

If you want something more, go for another bike. ;)

what exactly is that noise? It comes out only when starting the motor? all the time? or when in high revs?

Has the engins power droped down? Is the oil level OK? There are a lot of things to check before you come down into engine changing...

Anyway, if you are up to a biger engine, there are only a few options in biger bore kits (I've seen some 150's heads that can fit in the same carter).

Don't try to go further than 150-175cc.

That's the bike and it's designed for that amound of power and speed.

If you want something more, go for another bike. ;)

I think that the noise is something valve related, the tapping is constant from when i start the engine, regardless of high revs, temperature etc. Oil level is fine, possibly a touch too high but thats easily rectifiable, i was pretty sure a slightly high oil level wouldn't cause it to tap like it is. the engine power does drop, but only when the engine gets warmer, which is usually down to the spark plug?

so with a slightly bigger bore kit... I presume thats something i would have to do myself, rather than being able to buy, say a 150cc lump... unless yamaha still make one that would fit? thanks for the current imput anyway! much obliged!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online