Cleaning Rusted Headers

kelpike
This post is 5474 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I removed the headers off my 1986 FJ1200. I wire brushed them the best I can to remove the rust. Is there anything I can wash them down with to get them ready for paint like carb clean or paint thinner? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I removed the headers off my 1986 FJ1200. I wire brushed them the best I can to remove the rust. Is there anything I can wash them down with to get them ready for paint like carb clean or paint thinner? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi you could just use a grinder with a wire brush wheel fitted and then spray them with some exhaust paint what ever you do paint wise it wont last long as the heat the down pipes are under is a lot or buy a stainless system.???

Hope this helps .

Thanks R1 joy rider

brush them off with wire brush/ sandpaper you can use brake cleaner to remover the dust, then spray with either plasti kote woodstove or barb e que paint, i have used this method many times and found it the best, well other than stainless pipes.

• 1 month later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online