Filling Brake lines from empty

stevieh
This post is 5530 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Help! :o

While bleeding my front brakes a piston popped out and fluid went everywhere, leaving little or nothing to bleed and air in the system.

After getting the piston back in place (and clamping it!) I filled the reservoir again but squeezing the lever doesn't seem to pump fluid through now. Am I missing something? Do I have to syphon it through somehow?

Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

easiest method i have found and this is the way i go every time now, is too get a piece of pipe and a large syringe and push the fluid back up from the caliper first

Merv

Chris Pearson (writebike) used to put a pipe from the caliper nipple into the brake resevoir using wire to secure and then press the lever with the nipple slack and before realsing it tighten up the nipple.

eventually you get a fluid circuit and you can see it sometimes just going back and forwards within the tube if you dont do the nipple trick.

One last thing is to leave the lever pressed via a cable tie overnight to purge any errant air.

drewps

One last thing is to leave the lever pressed via a cable tie overnight to purge any errant air.

Good point......was key in me getting my RD's front brake bled properly. ;)

Takes a bloody long time doing it that way Drewps. i usually want to ride the bike,

merv

how would you do it then Merv you old , ?

the way i said at the top syringe full of brake fluid push the fluid back up the pipe, reverse bleed i am told it is called. taught to me by a scania mechanic only way too bleed a scania clutch system, just be very careful you do not overfil the mastercylinder this way, always wipe any spilt fluid off immediately. i always hose the bike down after doing any work involving brake fluid

merv

to get it started , you can always suck on a clear pipe from the nipple till you see fluid emerging. (said the biship to the actress :lol: )

The best way when the system has been really empty is to fill it up from the bottom ---

Using a clean (in my case "dedicated" / used for nowt else) thumb pressure oil can full of brake fluid and conect it to the bleed nipple with a very short rubber bleed pipe. ( I use smal cable ties too to ensure and maintain the seal at both the nipple and the oil-can)

Remove the resevoir cap

Open the nipple and pump the system full of fluid --- this automatically bleeds - out MOST of the air too first time.

Hold the brake lever slightly opened / pulled with a.n.other tie (or even a piece of string)

When filled close nipple

The advice from the previous member about cleaning off any spillages is still good practice but modern / new fluid is not the very corrosive stuff that it was but it will still knack your brake linings / pads permanently

Just pour in the reservoir some oil having the callipers nipple open. Keep pouring oil for a few seconds after you see the oil coming out of the nipple. Then (having in mind for the reservoir not to be empty ) do the nipple right so there's no oil dripping.

This way the downgoing fluid will take out all the air (OK, you "loose" some quantity of brake oil).

Take care for the brake fluid not to drip on the wheel (put a small pipe on the nipple or a piece of nylon underneeth the calliper covering the wheel).

Easier with two helping hands. No more than 2-3 minutes.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online