Nigeria bikers' vegetable helmets

drewpy
This post is 5527 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Motorcyclists in Nigeria have been wearing dried pumpkin shells on their heads to dodge a new law forcing them to wear helmets, authorities say.

Officials in the northern city of Kano said they had stopped several riders with "improvised helmets", following this month's introduction of the law.

Road safety officials said calabash-wearers would be prosecuted.

Thousands of motorbikes have been impounded around the country and taxi motorbike drivers have staged protests.

Calabashes are dried pumpkin shells more commonly used to carry liquid.

According to the new law, all motorbike drivers and motorbike passengers must wear helmets.

Kano Federal Road Safety Commission commander Yusuf Garba told the BBC they were taking a hard line with people found using the improvised helmets.

"We are impounding their bikes and want to take them to court so they can explain why they think wearing a calabash is good enough for their safety," he said.

Fifty motorbikes had been seized so far in Kano city alone, he added.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7813418.stm

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

lets hope the Nigerian government introduce anti-spam scam laws. doesnt seem to be a day by when i dont get an email from 'proffessor alberts smiths' of the Bank of Nigeria telling me he wants to transfer $10million into my account! It must be there second biggest industry over there. :lol:

Unbelievable !!

Sure wearing such a fresh helmet, reduces the need of shampoo :lol: :lol:

It doesnt surprise me one bit they cant have much upstairs if they are using pumpkins as helmets would look really funny if you drove past someone wearing one though

Maybe they should try wearing a rag its ok in the uk!!!!!!?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online