Hi all.......

smudge3lions
This post is 5526 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi to everyone,

I'm new to the site, just got a 2002 R6, as a 2nd bike, 1st was a Kawasaki er6-f nice but no where near an R6 in any way, (in my newish rider opinion) while I was riding the er6 i wore a caberg justismo gt helmet which was fine but for some reason when i'm on the R6 (maybe coz i'm going 'a bit' faster) the caberg makes a cracking sound where the visor hinges are, any one know why???

Anyway i'm after a good full face helmet now with about £150-£200 ish cash, has anyone got any advice which ones are any good??? been looking at AGV Stealth..what do you think??

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi to everyone,

I'm new to the site, just got a 2002 R6, as a 2nd bike, 1st was a Kawasaki er6-f nice but no where near an R6 in any way, (in my newish rider opinion) while I was riding the er6 i wore a caberg justismo gt helmet which was fine but for some reason when i'm on the R6 (maybe coz i'm going 'a bit' faster) the caberg makes a cracking sound where the visor hinges are, any one know why???

Anyway i'm after a good full face helmet now with about £150-£200 ish cash, has anyone got any advice which ones are any good??? been looking at AGV Stealth..what do you think??

Cheers

Hi Smudge -- I have a brand new , unworn , HJC SY -MAX2 modular helmet which I imported direct from the West Coast USA because this particular model was not available here in the UK. ( THIS IS NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE £30 HJC MODELS NOW ON OFFER)

It is simply too small for me even though the box is marked XXL ----

I would say it is XL 61>62 but the return postage to the US is very expensive and I'm offering it at a net loss to me of 50%

It is very smart and is better padded than anything I've seen before.

The seperate dark smoked internal flip visor opperates independently of the main clear visor

It comes with it's helmet bag and is , of course, still in the original packaging with both screen protective films in place too.

If you are interested in it at £100 I'll pay the postage to you myself.

003.jpg

Hiya mate, welcome to the forum.

I used to work at a Hein Gericke store, so i'm pretty upto date with helmets and how good they are etc etc.

lets start this way, the agv stealth is a decent helmet, but if it doesnt fit you, then it's no good for you, it could end up doing more harm than good.

at the top end of your budget you could buy a high end HJC or even an Arai Condor.

There are a lot of good helmets out there, but i think for the money you want to spend, you will get the most quality and usability from a HJC.

Hope that helps

Tom

basically, if a helmet doesnt fit all the correct areas then it can cause aches and pains for a start, but also, if there's any loose areas then in the hopefully unlikely event of an accident, you can end up with what is practically 2 head impacts. one as the helmet hits the floor, and then another as your head hits the helmet.

What you're looking for in a new helmet is a fit as follows:

Cheeks nice and snug, enough to give you hamster cheeks, but not too much so it causes you to constantly bite your cheeks.

Top of the head should fit about a snug as a wooly hat, any tighter and you'll end up with headaches.

Also make sure that when you have the helmet on, you need to be able to fit 2-3 fingers (sideways) between your chin and the inner of the helmet. again, otherwise in the unlikely event of an accident, you could damage your jaw.

I've got an arai viper gt. and when i got it 2 years ago, it felt fantastic, and it's still as comfortable as the day i got it.

Also take care of the helmet lining.

ie: don't put your gloves in your lid. you get some horrible stuff on your gloves, fuel/flies/dirt. and then that makes a mess of your linings.

Think of it this way, it puts most people out of the habit . . .

Flies eat shit, then your gloves squat the flies, you put your gloves in your lid, your lid on your head and essentially putting your head in shit.

Not literally, but you get the point lol :)

Hope that helps anyhow

Tom

i,ve had loads of lids and at the moment i have a hjc lordship... carbon fibre so its nice and light...looks deadly and the padding around cheeks and breath deflector are superb...easily the best fitting lid i've had to date and i've had some stupidly expensive shoei and arai helmets.

try one on and see what you think

sy

You can take all the advice you want from people on lids, and no-one is wrong its what feels right on your head. I bought an Arai Astro J, Its a good helmet Which i paid good money for, but my brother in law wears an AGV and cannot get on with Arai which would be his prefered brand but they just dont feel as comfortable to him as other ones, But it could just be that he has a head shaped like a bag of chewed toffee's. I would choose Arai everytime and for your money I would rather buy the bottom of the range in top make ( so you have the same tests and technology going into your helmet ) than a mid / top end of the range helmet in a lesser make. Youve only got one head so look after it . Also the good thing with Arai is that if you drop or knock your helmet for any reason you can take it to your local Arai dealer and they will send it away and Arai will Xray it to make sure its still safe ( which I did on an old lid ) and this is done free of charge. That my advice but what do I know and as a wise man once said .OPINIONS ARE LIKE ARSEHOLES, WEVE ALL GOT ONE AND THEY ALL STINK ! HOPE YOU FIND THE RIGHT ONE AND GOOD CHOICE OF BIKE (R6) I HAD AN 03 MODEL.

About cheek biting, that may be fixable too. My wife owns a Scorpion EXO-400. When she first tried one on at the dealer, the Small fit her head snugly, but made her bite her cheeks. So she went with a Medium. We later found out that the crown lining (that's the top "beanie" portion) was too large and the wind kept trying to remove the lid. I did some digging, and everything from Medium on down use the same shell. The only difference is the lining/cheek pad set. We ordered her a Small lining/pad set, but only replaced the crown lining, keeping the original cheek pads. What she now has is essentially a hybrid size, with a Small crown and Medium cheek pads. After all that, I also discovered that the cheek pads on her lid can be opened and the foam cushion comes out in layers. Had we originally gone with a Small, we could have simply removed one layer from each cheek pad.

Anyway, enough rambling. the short of it is this - check with the dealer to see what's available in liner parts. Head and face fit may be customizable, but you need to talk to a dealer that really knows what he's talking about.

Took some advice (thanks everyone).

Went out today and got a HJC AG-15 Draco helmet in blue/white from local dealer, helmet fits lovely, very light, lots of extras as standard i.e. smoked and clear visor, breath guard, chin curtain and a 25% discount and some cleaning kit, what more could you ask for?

Thank you very much....

:D :D :D