Rusted Headers

kelpike
This post is 5539 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The 86 FJ 1200 I just bought has the V&H exhaust. The back half of the exhaust is ok, but the front half out of the motor is rusted. First off I'm sure I'll have trouble getting the bolts off, but how do I get rid of the rust and what do I do to the pipes once I get rid of it? Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

dependent on how bad the rust is, you could wire brush it or use some fine emory paper. then use some t-cut or something similar to smooth it, then set at it with some metal polish to get it shining again

Tom

hello been using a battery impact wrench on my old bikes and it seams the lite hammer action work very well

and i haven't sheared a bolt off yet with it. mines makita but i`v seen a cheaper version in the clarke book from motor mart, hope you sort it glen

What i do when i have rusted stud bolts is to give them a gentle tap with a samll ball pin hammer and a rub with a wire brush to remove the rubbish, Then spray it with some lube (WD40 Or similar) I let the lube soak in and spray it a few more times.

Then make sure the socket is a good fit, when i have had real rusty nuts :lol: i hammer on a smaller sized socket to get a proper grip. Failing that a good set of mole grips.

Depending on how rusty the pipes are there are different options. I would give the pipes a gently tap with small hammer to make sure no holes appear.

Give me a shout if you need a set of pipes. I have got Motad system going cheap. (cheaper than you'l get them on ebay)

Good luck, Ken

If you have nuts to remove on the exhaust headers that just will not give with all the suggestions above the best way I've found to remove them is with a small Dremil bit.

Carefully grind away the nut (making sure you don’t go into the stud tread) and when you've got nearly all the way through tap off with a center punch or small cold chisel.

use heat as well. the ally and steel have different expansion qualities and will break the corrosion.

if it snaps off, arc weld a nut on it and the heat will also halp to remove.

drewps

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online