Motorcycle Courier?

wild foamy
This post is 5492 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi everyone...

are there any rules/terms a person needs to meet before they can become a motorcycle courier? (for a business or even privately)

sounds like an interesting job, i would quite like to give it a go...

anyone had any experiance being a courier?

needs something with a bigger payload than my DT50 though... maybe a jawa with a sidecar :lol:

- Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, you dont want a sidercar, you need to be able to ride on the pavement to be a good courier :rolleyes:

Only joking of course, but you will need to be able to filter and such to make good progress, I've never done it myself but i'ts a tough job and I wouldnt recommend it myself, you love bikes...being a courier might just change that.

quite like the idea of riding bikes either as a "proper job" or just something to do on the side, i know there aint that much money to be made in it but id be willing to try it out :)

failing that, anyone know any pizza places that still use mopeds to deliver?

a mate of mine did it at 18 and struggled to make it pay. the insurance is very high for any drive-for-pay job if you are under 25. his superdream (an inaccurate name!) cost him £1000 a year tpo.

you need a reliable bike, but if you are in newbury you are in striking distance of working the smoke, which is where the best money is.

I was a courier for about 4 years in the 80's.

I earned very good money for not a lot, really, but you do have to work hard !

Some companies rent you a bike, others you use your own.....bikes like cx500 & gt550 were very popular then, so get a 400-600cc shaft drive bike and keep it in good nick.

I guess sat-nav makes it a lot easier now, especially when you have a lot of jobs on at the same time!!

I really enjoyed it, and the money was very good then i remember often taking home £300 + per week (this was early 80's)

It does, however, take a lot of the fun out of motorcycling.....imagine you've been out on the bike all day and then all your mates pile over and suggest going out for a run!!

All in all, i'd say give it a go!!

For Courier work, get a copy of The Riders' Digest (free from most good accessory shops).

TRD was started by MC Couriers, for MC Couriers, hence a lot of such companies advertising.

Talk to the companies that advertise in their pages. They will tell you the requirements, expectations, pros & cons, what you get bike and salary-wise, advise on insurance and all that.

Many are there to advertise for drivers and riders anyway!!

Or.......

If you just want to be a hero, do something on the side as an excuse to ride and don't mind volunteer work, become a Blood Runner. After standard working hours, the NHS courier service does not operate - They rely on taxis and expensive private firms to ferry medication, blood and organs around in an emergency.

These guys are volunteers, but they do an invaluable job and save lives almost daily. With some of them, you also get to ride a Hi-Viz bike with flashy blue lights!!!

S.E.R.V Website

Freewheelers website

Each organisation covers different areas, so check both.

SERV's webby has some heavy traffic at this particular momment (12:28), so check again when it's faster.

You'll probably need an Advanced Riding qualification and 2-3 years riding experience first, as you'll be routinely riding faster than the "Speeding Twat" type bikers, but will have to do so safely with a loud siren deafening you and flashing blue lights hampering your vision.

do i need any qualifications for courier work?

that SERV thing looks quite good, maybe i will give that a try when i am on the 350, would take me an hour to get there if i was using the DT

working the smoke?...

do i need any qualifications for courier work?

working the smoke?...

Qualifications = Possibly. Might depend on the company. Ask 'em.

Working The Smoke = Having a job in London :)

If you just want to be a hero, do something on the side as an excuse to ride and don't mind volunteer work, become a Blood Runner. After standard working hours, the NHS courier service does not operate - They rely on taxis and expensive private firms to ferry medication, blood and organs around in an emergency.

that reminds me, i have a video short from the 80's called "blood runner" a bit more blood than running tho' :lol:

hi everyone...

are there any rules/terms a person needs to meet before they can become a motorcycle courier? (for a business or even privately)

sounds like an interesting job, i would quite like to give it a go...

anyone had any experiance being a courier?

needs something with a bigger payload than my DT50 though... maybe a jawa with a sidecar :lol:

- Steve

thanks for the info Amanda, wasn't something i had really considered.

think maybe being an S.E.R.V would be a better idea, still can't do it on the DT though.... maybe when the Jawa is on the road

thanks for the info Amanda, wasn't something i had really considered.

think maybe being an S.E.R.V would be a better idea, still can't do it on the DT though.... maybe when the Jawa is on the road

steve do you have a career planned? do you know what you are doing when you leave school?

i only ask as i am a secondary school teacher and wondered if you had recieved careers advice.

as far as careers advice it has been available but ive chosen my own career path(s)

my first choice would be an aviation technician (mechanical) for the RAF, ive already passed the selection test and went for my interview last tuesday, now i just need to go for a medical and a fitness test and hopefully it should all go well and i will be able to get in.

alternatively, an apprenticeship at AWE, took the aptitude test today and passed so just need to book an interview

i was considering being a courier for something to do on the side, i love riding motorbikes and being out and about so it seemed a logical choice.

as far as careers advice it has been available but ive chosen my own career path(s)

my first choice would be an aviation technician (mechanical) for the RAF, ive already passed the selection test and went for my interview last tuesday, now i just need to go for a medical and a fitness test and hopefully it should all go well and i will be able to get in.

alternatively, an apprenticeship at AWE, took the aptitude test today and passed so just need to book an interview

i was considering being a courier for something to do on the side, i love riding motorbikes and being out and about so it seemed a logical choice.

go for the AWE role, nuclear power is coming back big time and skills pool in this country is painfully small. Youd be set for life.

Iwas a courier for 5 years worked for Addison Lee on an open call circuit, money was good once you'd learnt your way around Soho & the city.

Best to do lots of minimums (under 3 miles) together upto 12 jobs per hour,thats where i earned the best money.

Once you've been there a while,if your any good you generally get offered a "Guaranteed minimum" per week.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online