Motorcycle Courier?

wild foamy
This post is 5514 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Couriering will certainly change your approach to bikes, I got into it for similar reasons to you, loved bikes and fancied riding for a living.

At the moment work is very sparse and a lot of firms aren't taking on riders so you can't expect to earn very much.

It takes at least a few months (as a London courier) to get a reasonable working knowledge of the different areas around the capital, until you've gained experience it'll be difficult to earn a reasonable wage. When I began I had a second job to prop up my income.

At best you may be able to earn about 600 for a (very) busy weeks work, although between 3-450 a week is more typical. A lot of this depends on the firm you work for though, small firms generally don't have as much work so income will typically be lower.

It's very expensive whatever bike you ride, when you consider you'll be riding 30000 miles a year that's a lot of petrol, tyres and parts needed just to keep on the road. Hours are long, usually ten hours a day minimum...

It can be great some times though things like bad weather, driving and stress can put a damper on things - and you'll have to endure a lot of cold, damp weather! Customers can be less than appreciative of your efforts too.

The majority working in London these days are Brazilians which has an effect on levels of pay and working conditions.

If you want to have a go I'd say do it, but don't expect to earn very much at the beginning and it perhaps isn't best seen as a long term career these days - though saying that I've been at it the last 4 years.

as far as careers advice it has been available but ive chosen my own career path(s)

my first choice would be an aviation technician (mechanical) for the RAF, ive already passed the selection test and went for my interview last tuesday, now i just need to go for a medical and a fitness test and hopefully it should all go well and i will be able to get in.

alternatively, an apprenticeship at AWE, took the aptitude test today and passed so just need to book an interview

i was considering being a courier for something to do on the side, i love riding motorbikes and being out and about so it seemed a logical choice.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also interested in becoming a motorcycle courier when I've finished sixth form so nice to see someone else is as well :D

From what I've found out about getting into it from careers advice etc most companies don't seem to be keen in hiring people under 21 years old because of the price of insurance.

There's a good video on Youtube showing a courier ride in London I'll try and find it...

Edit:

my first choice would be an aviation technician (mechanical) for the RAF

Bollock to that!!

Don't bother with the Penguins, mate - Join the Rockapes and be a REAL man!!!

Might even get to ride the combat motorcycles, too :D

alternatively, an apprenticeship at AWE, took the aptitude test today and passed so just need to book an interview

Ah, some good backroads round that way!!

Just don't try them in the snow, eh.

I worked for ScooterMAN for a couple of months on my days off that was a good job. Got to tear around on a monkey bike then drive some flash cars.

The guy who runs the Bristol branch went touring in France on his 50cc Scooter.

I used to work for Reading branch, maintaining their fleet. Gave it over to one of the riders who does mechanics for a living.

Horrible, horrible bikes if you're over 5' 9" or weigh more than 12st!!

Bollock to that!!

Don't bother with the Penguins, mate - Join the Rockapes and be a REAL man!!!

Might even get to ride the combat motorcycles, too :D

do you mean like this taskmaster? i even got to sleep with mine iraq 91

n1326072335_30095605_8806.jpg

n1410763464_34946_2524.jpg

do you mean like this taskmaster? i even got to sleep with mine iraq 91

Yes.

I have some questions;

1/. Were you a Rockape, then? :D

Can't make out your patches in the photos. Definitely a British unit as, aside from the Union Flag in the background, you still have your cabbage NBC kit while in the desert :lol:

QMS not gotten round to issuing dessies, then?

2/. WHERE IS YOUR WEAPON???!!!!

Unless that's it down below your left leg in the first photo, I can't see your weapon. Should have it within arms reach at all times!!

3/. Why does your bike registration not exist on HPI?

You nick it off an SAS troopie of summat?

Yes.

I have some questions;

1/. Were you a Rockape, then? :D

Can't make out your patches in the photos. Definitely a British unit as, aside from the Union Flag in the background, you still have your cabbage NBC kit while in the desert :lol:

QMS not gotten round to issuing dessies, then?

2/. WHERE IS YOUR WEAPON???!!!!

Unless that's it down below your left leg in the first photo, I can't see your weapon. Should have it within arms reach at all times!!

3/. Why does your bike registration not exist on HPI?

You nick it off an SAS troopie of summat?

no i was not arockape,when it first kicked off we did not have desert kit only later did we get some of the kit that we were supposed to have even now there are men without full body armour.

we had two weapons a side arm and a sterling slung across the front as you can see in this photo my mate with a found weapon,the sterling is just visible under his right arm.

you should know better than ask my regiment its not something up for disscussion the bikes will not show up on any checks

n1410763464_34969_231.jpg

you always show a lot of intrest in all things military how come you did not join up.

when it first kicked off we did not have desert kit only later did we get some of the kit that we were supposed to have even now there are men without full body armour.

Yep. Definitely British, then!!!

we had two weapons a side arm and a sterling slung across the front as you can see in this photo my mate with a found weapon,the sterling is just visible under his right arm.

Found Weapon. Always liked that term.... usually followed by the cliche, "Never been fired and only dropped once"!!

Couldn't see your weapon in the other photos, though.

I'm guessing you weren't allowed a sling because "that means you intend not to have your weapon to hand"?

you should know better than ask my regiment its not something up for disscussion

Oh, you still serving, then?

Don't worry - I won't rat you out. ;)

the bikes will not show up on any checks

Wanted to know what make & model they were.

HPI usually tells me, 'cept these are all secrety secrety.

you always show a lot of intrest in all things military how come you did not join up.

I did.

After seven years in the ATC I was all set to join the Rockapes, with hopes of joining 2 Sqn - The Parachute Training Flight. That or 63 QCS.

They decided that they were not recruiting at the time and I ended up in the RGJ instead. Supposedly the Army was a good option, infantry in particular, because they run around in fields a lot more.

Spent a few months being very disenchanted with what was marketed compared to what the reality of it was and the lack of professionalism happening.

"A unit that prides itself on the soldier who thinks for himself".... Yeah, right. Only reason I didn't end up running twenty daily miles of "See that tree? Are you back yet?" is because I was the only one who kept my rifle clean. It pays to be a winner.

Being a scrawny kid didn't help, either - Young, naive Southern kid amongst a section of very loutish Northerners. I knew more about weapons, kit, SOPs and even drill than the Cpls teaching us, but I couldn't make the physical grade.

Ended up with a knee injury after being chucked over an 8' wall on an 'Initiative Exercise' and that was the end of my line.

Guess it was a good thing in the end - It meant I could grow my hair stupidly long, learn some very brutal martial arts, meet women, play in a rock band and many other equally cool things.

I was probably too independently minded anyway, though I have always loved messing about in a field and even today I still have Shiny Kit Syndrome.

I just cannot walk past an Army Surplus stall at a rally without seeing if there's anything groovy to hand.

Yep. Definitely British, then!!!

Found Weapon. Always liked that term.... usually followed by the cliche, "Never been fired and only dropped once"!!

Couldn't see your weapon in the other photos, though.

I'm guessing you weren't allowed a sling because "that means you intend not to have your weapon to hand"?

Oh, you still serving, then?

Don't worry - I won't rat you out. ;)

Wanted to know what make & model they were.

HPI usually tells me, 'cept these are all secrety secrety.

definitely british, joined up as a young boy after finishing my full term stayed on in a civvie capacity for a few years but due to injuries and ill health had to call it a day, ten years later and 61 still miss it .

as for the bikes started off on the old bsa b40 a few years on armstrong and by the time off gulf one we had The Harley Davidson MT350E and Honda R250 s. The bikes were fitted with document panniers and a carrier for the SA80A2 Individual Weapon. but a few civvie dt,s went awol when spotted in some local villages.

as for the weapon i liked to use sling as you could clip it on your webbing belt and wear it across the front.

Never liked the L85s.

Bits fell off them too much :lol:

Nothing quite like racking the bolt back and having the cocking handle come off in your hand!

Still got some of the old Radway Green 30rnd magazines and a few other bits, if you know anyone who might want 'em?

I spent some time in the armoury at Brize and got to mess about with an HK53 - Like an MP5 but with 40rnds of 5.56. Never known anything so accurate!!

How did you clip the L85 sling to your web belt?

Never liked the L85s.

Bits fell off them too much :lol:

Nothing quite like racking the bolt back and having the cocking handle come off in your hand!

Still got some of the old Radway Green 30rnd magazines and a few other bits, if you know anyone who might want 'em?

I spent some time in the armoury at Brize and got to mess about with an HK53 - Like an MP5 but with 40rnds of 5.56. Never known anything so accurate!!

How did you clip the L85 sling to your web belt?

did not use the L85 for one it was a load of plastic shit and would have had to use carrier we complained that much that we were issued sterlings as if we were riding along an needed to use weapon it was at hand, we attached using a bungee clip quick release

hk53s were not standard issue to most regiments only to the elite so i can not answer that question

but brize brings back many happy memorys and sad ones

I did my weeks work experiance at Brize Norton.

101 Sqr. Heavy Engineering, worked on the VC10s' and absolutely loved it, got to go for my medical next week, then my final interview and hopefully i will be doing my training in the summer :)

I did my weeks work experiance at Brize Norton.

101 Sqr. Heavy Engineering, worked on the VC10s' and absolutely loved it, got to go for my medical next week, then my final interview and hopefully i will be doing my training in the summer :)

good luck with your medical and final interview,i am sure you will have a great time once you get in,hows the bike coming along is her in doors giving you any grief or has she come to terms with it.

the Blue Dragon is at my dads now, the DT has to stay on the driveway 'cus her car "needs" to be in the garage...

got a source of alternator brushes for it, so hopefully i can sort the charging problem out and seal up the carb to get it running properly, after that its all systems go... also gave it a new paint job (Royal Blue, same as my DT and quite close to the original albeit a little lighter)

my DT spat a load of oil out onto the new brick driveway a few nights ago when i changed the clutch plates... she wasn't best pleased with that...

the Blue Dragon is at my dads now, the DT has to stay on the driveway 'cus her car "needs" to be in the garage...

got a source of alternator brushes for it, so hopefully i can sort the charging problem out and seal up the carb to get it running properly, after that its all systems go... also gave it a new paint job (Royal Blue, same as my DT and quite close to the original albeit a little lighter)

my DT spat a load of oil out onto the new brick driveway a few nights ago when i changed the clutch plates... she wasn't best pleased with that...

forgot you had called the new bike the blue dragon, thought for a minute you were talking about your mum.

two dragons in one household is more than enough

keep up the good work on the bike hope to see you put some photos up when you finish it.

forgot you had called the new bike the blue dragon, thought for a minute you were talking about your mum.

no, thats the pink walrus... :o

will get plenty of pics and vids of it once ive got it running, should be able to do that when im voer there sunday as i sheered off two of the bolts that hold the springs under tension in the clutch basket on my DT, so ive got to extract them and get it all sorted

Ah 101 Sqn at Brize. I worked there before moving to 18 Sqn Chinooks at Odiham. Cracking place, guys are great. Just out of interest, what AFCO you joining at?

I'm a heavy Tech and been in 11 years. Great job with plenty of travel, you'll love it.

ive joined up at the Oxford AFCO.

going in as an Aircraft Engineer (Mechanical), doing 9 weeks physical training at RAF holton and then a years trade training somewere else (arent sure where yet).

can't wait to tinker with big expensive toys :)

You'll need to know all that for your interview. Your training at Halton is what is known as basic training, i.e marching, service knowledge, lots of physical activities and ground defence (Rifle training,etc). Your trade training as a Heavy tech (same as Mechanical engineer) will be at RAF Cosford near Telford. Enjoy!

thanks for the heads up,

im currently in the ATC (211 Sqr.) so have been trained in marching and a bit of service knowledge (RAF stations, where certain aircraft are stationed, aircraft variations. e.t.c) aswell as my .22 cal WHT

No problem. I'm a recruiter at London AFCO now so if you have any questions, give me a shout and I'll try to help you out. All the best with it and let me know how you get on.

Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online