89 FZR Exup not sparking - PLEASE HELP

kat_barryfzr
This post is 5505 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi im new to this and i am at my wits end so any help would be greatly appreciated.

My boyfriend has a FZR 1000 Exup 89 that wont spark, he has checked plugs, coils, wiring loom and we are down to are last two options the igniter box or the pick up coil/cam shaft sensor (we have come across several names for this part). We have managed to get a second hand igniter box but so far have not managed to get a second hand pick up coil.

Can anyone offer any advice on this, weather we are looking in the right place for the problem or not, How to fix the problem or where we could find a second hand pick up????? We have tried e bay for this and have had no luck it seems that this part will only be sold with a second hand engine and as yet we do not wish to go down that route.

Someone please help us she is his pride and joy!!!!

Thanks

Kat

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi im new to this and i am at my wits end so any help would be greatly appreciated.

My boyfriend has a FZR 1000 Exup 89 that wont spark, he has checked plugs, coils, wiring loom and we are down to are last two options the igniter box or the pick up coil/cam shaft sensor (we have come across several names for this part). We have managed to get a second hand igniter box but so far have not managed to get a second hand pick up coil.

Can anyone offer any advice on this, weather we are looking in the right place for the problem or not, How to fix the problem or where we could find a second hand pick up????? We have tried e bay for this and have had no luck it seems that this part will only be sold with a second hand engine and as yet we do not wish to go down that route.

Someone please help us she is his pride and joy!!!!

Thanks

Kat

Hi,

I'm a new member and have just read your post.

I have a 1992 FZR600 and had the same problem a couple of years ago.

After exhasting all my thoughts I took it to a bike electrician and he found the Hall sensor/ cam pickup had failed.

It only cost a couple of hundred dollars to get repaired(Australian dollars)

So if Ally's sugggestions have not identified that problem check the signal being generated by the sensor.

Good luck.

Claude

The kill switch does play up on FZR1000's. Try spraying it with WD40 as it may have dampness inside if it's been stored. Not many other things to go wrong really as these are reliable machines.

currently suffering from a simialr prob on my fzr400.. how do you test the ignitor with a multi tester.. just going wd40 in my kill switch :)

the oil light flashes when you press the start button though so possibly not this..

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online