xs400 flat tracker project

drewpy
This post is 2775 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Dewps, i cant help wondering why you havent used drums to do away with the hydraulics.

cause I like to stop :P

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

cause I like to stop :P

Wimp :D

I thought it was all about the looks.......

How about going real PURE flat tracker and dumping the front brake entirely B).

Wimp :D

I thought it was all about the looks.......

How about going real PURE flat tracker and dumping the front brake entirely B).

O yeh, and never ride it except for off road :(

O yeh, and never ride it except for off road :(

One front wheel for the MOT man and the proper one.......

All wind ups aside its looking good, you have got further than i have with my DT. Everybody wants a piece of me at the moment. Especially the treasury, or thats how it feels these days.

I saw a write up in CMM where a fellow had built a pure flat tracker, daylight MOT the works, it was done in yellow speedblocks and looked the nuts.

If this ends up even half as tidy as that old nail :D you took to Ireland it should be a treat.

Is it going to be red, Dewpy team colours :P

keeping it satin black/alloy/chrome, less to clean and stealth lookin'

hoping to get it done by june for the "show and go" in Wombwell near Barnsley

keeping it satin black/alloy/chrome, less to clean and stealth lookin'

Yip gotta agree , saw it in the flesh today" [ ur coffee was crap drewpstongue.gif ] And loved the chunky black look ,and them spokes are super,

Thanks for all the help with my exhausts drewps wink.gif ..were cuming ur way this summer , may try to line it up with that ride&gocool.gif

[ ur coffee was crap drewpstongue.gif ]

i only give out good coffee to "special" guests

it was just coffe i had left over from scout camp back in '92 ;)

im using dual front discs but cant decide on either stock xs yam,parts or maybe from a yamaha sport bike as long as its not to much mods to make it fit. going for drilled rotors 1 or 2 piece.i could drill the stock ones though.maybe find somthing on ebay.

let us know what you'r doing and post a new thread on it :)

• 3 weeks later...

fitted these lamps today. think they are ok?

I'm using a hidden switch to activate them along-side a VW headlamp dimmer relay

DSC00583.jpg

newposlamps2.jpg

fitted these lamps today. think they are ok?

I'm using a hidden switch to activate them along-side a VW headlamp dimmer relay

KOOL I'ld say... B)

looking really good,I must get inspired to do some more to my own tracker project it has been on the go for over 3 years now i keep getting a mad rush and then i break off(usally involves other bikes) must try harder!!! keep up the good work :D

• 2 weeks later...

well i done a few more stuff this weekend...

I stick welded some 8mm brackets for padock stand brackets

will finish when dry build complete

DSC00595.jpg

and was thinking outside the box and decided to mount my ignition switch where the starter motor went. so i amd cutting out the alternator side panel to fit a 28mm modded washer

DSC00596.jpg

and have gutted the starter motor and modded that so i can fit the marine ignition switch inside along with connections

DSC00598.jpg

DSC00597.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I got an oil pressure gauge of ebay and wanted something different to mount it in.

looking through Asda I saw this

DSC00660.jpg

its a cup from a stainless steel flask.

So i deftly cut the right holes

DSC00661.jpg

and all i need to get is a couple of case nuts from a2a4 fixings and it should look good

DSC00662.jpg

:thumb:

your improvisation skills are top notch :thumb:

i`m following this thread with much interest,

please let me know when you decide to pull the carbs apart= lots of pics please :)

your improvisation skills are top notch :thumb:

i`m following this thread with much interest,

please let me know when you decide to pull the carbs apart= lots of pics please :)

carbs are brand new and cost me £20 :P just had to put a 135 mains in for the K&N's but may up to 138 for the "free flow " exhaust ( no baffles ;) )

• 4 weeks later...

changed my mind on the headlamps coz i saw a davida helmet ad with a triumph and it looked the business.

so i've cut some ally sheet and formed a couple of holes for haleogens to fit behind. hopefully Vez can help me with some bracket and a way of mounting the lamps to the board

here's some piccies

DSC00697.jpg

DSC00698.jpg

Guest MaD.VeZ

Im presuming these are the lights that are behind the ally panel ?

If they are, a couple of pics from the back of the ally plate with the lights and current brackets offered into position would inspire a few ideas.

Just noticed the flask lid gauge housing, crackin idea, looks the dogs wotsits :thumb:

Im presuming these are the lights that are behind the ally panel ?

If they are, a couple of pics from the back of the ally plate with the lights and current brackets offered into position would inspire a few ideas.

Just noticed the flask lid gauge housing, crackin idea, looks the dogs wotsits :thumb:

no, done away with the projector lamps and using 52mm halegon jobbies as they are smaller but brighter!!

I'm messing with sketchup at the moment trying to work out how to draw!

BTW the panels are currently being Tigged, thanks for the part you made! :thumb:

Gotta be honest Andrew, was liking this up til the point where that bit of flat plate appeared with the H/light holes in (looks a bit like the face from the animation "Iron man", loved the idea with the 'flask' cups used as dial casings-well classy look and a genius idea, couldn't you carry that 'theme' through and put the lights you have into two more 'flask' cups ?, :mellow:

just my tuppenceworth :)