Tinted visors - Whats the deal?

awh18awh
This post is 4374 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yes,,, and No.

Confused?

There are legal tints out there, they are a very light smoked lens, they work OK but not as well as something like an irridium one that all but blocks out the sun. However, after dusk you must change to a clear lens - if you want to remain legal.

It's a ridiculous law, as the Police can make you remove your illegal visor and ride without one, which is just plain silly as you are more of a hazard without eye /face protection. You can wear dark glasses behind your visor, so why not have a dark visor? It would be much safer.... Two words,, Nanny State

I use an Aria Tour-X, which has a peak, so the light smoked lens is fine (the peak stops the direct sun), I also have a Shoei Multiteck flip front and the light tint isn't very effective at all, so I wear sun glasses too.

There are websites out there that give you the whole run down on what's right and wrong. Me, I'd rather not give the authorities the excuse they need to start poking about so I stay outwardly legal

In the summer it's less of a problem as the sun is high in the sky, but this time of year it can be a bl00dy nightmare, especially if like me you ride East in the morning and West at night!

I bought an tinted iridium visor during the summer (hides my ugly face!!).

Its marked with the AGV logo, and stamped that its for daytime use only - but there's no mention of being legal / illegal for road use (as you would find on an exhaust)

Its def a big help on the way into work, country roads arent as much fun when you're blinded by the sun. But forget about it in the evening, once light fades you can see f*ck all thru it.

Guess its just personal choice at end of the day....

Tinted visors are usually used by Sports riders with expensive helmets who want to show off (but they're not posers like Cruiser riders, honest!!). :lol:

Basically, you have 3 options;

1/. Get a tinted visor.

You will have to stop and change it when there's less than the legal percentage of light getting through, though.

2/. Wear sunglasses.

Not always an option, especially if you wear normal glasses too.

3/. Get a Caberg.

Other brands are trying the same thing, but Caberg are still the favoured lid for the internal drop-down sun visor.

When it gets dark, either through sun setting or on those shaded B roads, you just flip the sun visor back up.

Caberg also have a high rating on that new star system. Pretty good for a £100 lid, eh!!

they have to let a certain ammount of light in.

mines is illegal and says " daytime use only " on it

never had any problems tho

here is me looking like a tit with it

Picture002.jpg

"Some say... he can smell 2-stroke oil from upto a mile away...

All we know is... he's called ShoKz :P"

my dad has a caberg hat with the flip-down internal sunvisor and whilst i havent personally tried it i hear nothing but good things, especially if you wear normal glasses (which means you can't wear sunglassesa).

my Wulfsport helmet has a peak on it because it is MX style and that does the job very well. simple and effective

A lot of brands that copy the drop-down visor, including one of teh later Caberg models are crap, because they don't drop low enough.

Also, some people do find the original Cabergs (the V2) comes down too low on the nose.

I've got a Iridium visior on my shoei. The reason I opted for this is it looks good and also I wear glasses. I don't wear my sunglasses on my bike as sometimes you just want to be able to see without any filters in the way and with a tinted visor this is poss by moving it up. To get around the daytime use only problem with them, just carry your clear visor with you. I've got an Oxford visor carrier and it just clips round your waist. Lets be honest, gone are the days it took half an hour to change a visor, they are all quick release mechanisms now!

The tinted visor on my Arai is almost not quite dark enough for daytime use :unsure:

Although, the mirror finish visor on my older Shoei was just perfect......dark enough to not have to weare sunglasses....

& yet light enough to see well @ night. :icon_wink:

i have my roof boxer with iridium visor , i use that because i have glasses and dont have any sunglasses so that options out the window, i have been pulled by the coppers but i always carry my clear in my tankbag so switched it while he was writing a ticket for a stupidly small numberplate :angry:

Picture011.jpg

Thanks everyone! Seems like a good idea to carry the clear one too might try this if i get one.

Cheers

I considered carrying 2 visors with me for a little while (doing a lot of long rides in the hills of Victoria) but ended up just going with comfy sunnies under my clear visor. When the sun gets too low in the trees, the sunnies go into the tank bag.

Easy.

Plus, I'm not sure tinted visors are even legal in Oz (slightly off topic I guess - sorry) - but everyone seems to get away with it. Anyway.

• 3 years later...

Yes,,, and No.

Confused?

There are legal tints out there, they are a very light smoked lens, they work OK but not as well as something like an irridium one that all but blocks out the sun. However, after dusk you must change to a clear lens - if you want to remain legal.

It's a ridiculous law, as the Police can make you remove your illegal visor and ride without one, which is just plain silly as you are more of a hazard without eye /face protection. You can wear dark glasses behind your visor, so why not have a dark visor? It would be much safer.... Two words,, Nanny State

I use an Aria Tour-X, which has a peak, so the light smoked lens is fine (the peak stops the direct sun), I also have a Shoei Multiteck flip front and the light tint isn't very effective at all, so I wear sun glasses too.

There are websites out there that give you the whole run down on what's right and wrong. Me, I'd rather not give the authorities the excuse they need to start poking about so I stay outwardly legal

In the summer it's less of a problem as the sun is high in the sky, but this time of year it can be a bl00dy nightmare, especially if like me you ride East in the morning and West at night!

It's true, there are legals tinted visors (40/50%): Light Tinted Visor Roof Boxer V8

Other visor tinted 50% or more, usually are not legal: Tinted Visor Roof Boxer V8 (however, they are very cool :spin2: )

I usually use a HJC IS-16 full face helmet while riding on the highways. It is a great little helmet and it has a built in tinted sun visor that is deployed inside the helmet behind the clear visor. It is easy to deploy and retract while riding as sun conditions can change quickly. It avoids the requirement and hassel of carrying a clear visor with you or trying to wear sun glasses in your full face helmet. As a result, the built in visor system is becoming very popular around here.

Ride safe.

Rocky

i have a mirrow visor on my rsr2 shark it doen't mention day light use though,?

it has FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY.

on my every day skidlid i just have the clear visor, if the sun is low i keep my head down(don't try it) and squint.

if you get one the seller will most likely tell you they are for off road use only ,

and you know my motto ? don't get caught , then it won't matter. :spin2:

My Shark S900 has a flip-down visor. Its been really useful and i like it, except:

• It can come down abit too hard on the bridge of you nose
  • If you wear glasses it can get caught in them
  • The lever is abit awkward to find at first

I like my tinted visor, saves me especially on those mornings with low sun going round country lanes when the sun flickers between the trees trying to make you pass out! Actually makes me feel sick.

I have one of these at the moment, except im not using the peak.

063-2.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online