starter motor turning opposite direction

mckenzie
This post is 4394 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The starter motor on my dt125x seems to be turning the wrong way, I cant figure out why since I have not touched the electrics in any way, the only thing is when i was rebuilding the engine after blowing the crank I used a caphead allen screw instead of the standard cheesehead and it fouled the starter gearwheel and when I went to start it the starter struggled to turn the engine over and there was a small puff of smoke where the starter motor relay is located. I checked the 2 fuses on the relay and they are both fine, could the relay itself be faulty? I replaced the screw I had used with the origional and tried again, the motor is turning the gearwheel behind the flywheel but in the opposite direction, what has happened? what else would cause this problem other than some connection being round the wrong way?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I forgot to mention that sometimes the starter wont turn at all but I can clearly hear the relay clicking when I hit the start button. Everything mechanical is fitted correctly so it has to be an electrical problem, anyone with some knowledge of electrical systems should be able to help, I hope

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say you've knackered one (or more) of the electromagnety things that make the motor turn.

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say you've knackered one (or more) of the electromagnety things that make the motor turn.

well I thought it might be the starter relay but it seems to be working fine, I'm getting the lend of a meter tonight so hopefully I'l get to the bottom of it

Reversed motor polarities are out of the question (unless the motor has been taken apart - see below) because your bike's electrical system will be the standard negative earth system, with the motor case being the negative connection (on conventional DC motors, connecting the supply backwards can make the motor run in reverse). So, it is a puzzler and something I have not encountered before I must admit.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the battery has been connected in reverse?

One other possibility is that if the starter motor has been taken apart, maybe the windings have been re-connected backwards?

Reversed motor polarities are out of the question (unless the motor has been taken apart - see below) because your bike's electrical system will be the standard negative earth system, with the motor case being the negative connection (on conventional DC motors, connecting the supply backwards can make the motor run in reverse). So, it is a puzzler and something I have not encountered before I must admit.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the battery has been connected in reverse?

One other possibility is that if the starter motor has been taken apart, maybe the windings have been re-connected backwards?

I had the starter off to inspect it and everything seemed ok, apart from a small piece of wire protruding between the gaps of the windings but i flattened it and once i put everything back together it was still turning in the wrong direction. so I've maybe put it together incorrectly? it only goes in one way by the looks of things. I will try again tommorrow

I had the starter off to inspect it and everything seemed ok, apart from a small piece of wire protruding between the gaps of the windings but i flattened it and once i put everything back together it was still turning in the wrong direction. so I've maybe put it together incorrectly? it only goes in one way by the looks of things. I will try again tommorrow

Well my dad and I inspected the starter motor, its gone, we put a meter on the comutator and there was a negative reading on 1 of the segments. On further inspection one of the wires of the armature windings between the rotor slots looked like it was broken and there was a small gouge mark on the two pole shoes, so we think this is the problem. New starter required.

You should be able to pick up a recon unit in exchange for your shot one for around £50.

• 3 years later...