What bike gear? Please Help!

JohnR6
This post is 7233 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys, :D

As I'm a noob motorcycle head who's in the process of getting his M/C License via DAS, I was just wondering what clothes do I need to wear when I attend the DAS course?

Do I need to buy the following items before I do the course or would the DAS people provide it??

1) Helmet (Looking at the AGV Demon......they look cool and relatively cheap about £150!)

2) Leather Jacket and Trousers. (Probably at least £350!!!)

3) Boots (about £120!)

4) Gloves (about £30)

Fuc£ me!!! That's about £650 even before I've bought a bike!!! :shock:

One more think, does everyone always ride in leathers? Can you just ride in thick jeans and a leather jacket? Are those nylon water proof bike jackets any good too? Would they give protection? :?

Please feed me with your motorbiking wisdom.

Cheers. 8)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I always wear me leather trousers, mainly cos I've seen a lot of road rash and it is'nt pretty, an it smarts a little as well. For me top half I've got me sel a gore tex type jacket wi the removable armour an linin, totally wind an waterproof , an it only cost us 60 quid.Frank Thomas Aqua pore boots an Caberg Justissimo lid. Wen you go on your D.A.S. they should provide a lid, high viz waistcoat an gloves , the rest will be up to you. Anyway, good luck wi your test mate :tu

• Admin

When i done my DAS everything was provided, but i still brought all my own gear as it takes a while for it all to wear in. Also looks better for the examiner if youve got your own stuff i think :roll:

As for a helmet dont go with a brand, go with what fits properly! If your not 101% sure ask them in the shop and they will go through the options with you

Yea Iv'e got full regalia too, but I rarely ware my l/trousers, mainly (and this is plain fekn stupid!) because I can get the bottoms over my boots!.

I dont like the boots on the outside, Iv'e got a bad habit of wearing jeans (just as well she doesn't mind :lol:) and pulling them over the boots.

I know I should wear the trousers, maybe I'll give them another go, christ Iv'e only wore them about 5 time's from new!, and Iv'e had about 4 yrs now.

i cant believe people still go out in jeans...i mean ffs they offer no protection whatsoever..even a 30mph spill will eat your legs away...my motto is DONT SKIMP ON PROTECTION you only get 1 chance in this life..so make the most of it.

soapbox rant over 8)

Can't agree on the Jeans though Baz...that's what I wear most of the time.

Old School habits die hard. :lol:

But I can tell you that I once hit the road at 110 wearing jeans and only had you a few scratches on my ass.

Good quality denim is very tough.

i nearly always wear my jeans :shock: :roll: . suppose i should wear my leather trousers more. yesterday was the first time i wore them in ages, went for an 80 mile ride on the xj so decided to put them on. might wear them more often now as i found them actually quite comfy :) and the safety factor is important

Can't agree on the Jeans though Baz...that's what I wear most of the time.

Old School habits die hard.  :lol: 

But I can tell you that I once hit the road at 110 wearing jeans and only had you a few scratches on my ass.

Good quality denim is very tough.

i'll have to quote a previous thread....life of brian....."you lucky bastard" :twisted: :twisted:

i wore jeans once and fell off...got stuck under the bike and it hurt like hell.....especially when the footrest dug into my ankle...ouch... :cry:

There you see, I'm not the only one!, but as Unmutual said old habits do die hard I guess thats 80's coming out in me.

But the ironic thing is, the jacket I wear has elbow/shoulder/back armour the lot, and yet I go out in my good quality jeans :roll:.

I can confirm that my ass was fine after the spill in denim...apart from the big crack in it!  :lol:

and its rather strange brown colouring :wink:

Is there any other trousers you can buy which are tougher than jeans but not leather? :?

Or is leather the only decent choice?