John O'groats to Lands end?

wild foamy
This post is 5534 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone.

just wondering, how far is it (avoiding motorways and dual carriageways) is it from John O'groats to lands end?

and where can i get a decent set of road tyres? (3.00/18" and 2.75/21")

- Steve :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

no danger maaaan,, thats not a long way,

unless your on a pushbike, :huh::blink:

apart from a bit of a sore arse its a doddle, mind you..

its a long time since i dunnit

probably would stop half way now for a bit of refreshment.. :D

Hi everyone.

just wondering, how far is it (avoiding motorways and dual carriageways) is it from John O'groats to lands end?

- Steve :)

if you try google maps it will give you the destiation between any two points with an option to avoid main highways ie motorways and the answer is 889 mi – about 23 hours 43 mins

looking at tyres i think the best you will do is a dual sport type tyre going too 80/90/21 front and 90/90/18 rear

i have used avon distanzias on the 650 trailies they are god on the road, possibly conti escapes fit as well

Merv

Its one thing I am going to have to do although being in the midlands I pretty much have to do it twice.

Ride to either end to start and then when I get there ride back to the middle. 13 hours sounds doable but thats with a decent tank range and going some. I reckon on a DT you would want 2 days to do it in.

Its got to be around 1000 miles if your avoiding the motorways.

although being in the midlands I pretty much have to do it twice.

It doesn't matter where you live - you're still doing it twice!

OK, here's the details;

839 miles , best (legal) time is 13:03 on quickest route from top to bottom

833 Miles , best (again legal) time is 13:49, based on the shortest route

862 miles, best time 15:13, based on the back roads

These assume no stops at all.

top speed is 40mph and is calibrated on my GPS, but i will probably be averaging 30

was thinking of doing it in my summer holidays (13th feb - 21st feb), may have to find a travelinn to stay in overnight though, lol :lol:

just wondering, how far is -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

. Hi stevy .... FEB :unsure: Bad time o" year up here. [esp that A9] Apart from the crap of the road [vision] the weather up the north is very changable. And fuel stations are sparce[DT small tank] Its remote the farther north u go. Join the AA. them roads are lonley place at nt.[if breakdown]

IF U Make it april/may . I wud go up to john"O With u and back to perth[5hrs ]each way. .[no motorways north o" perth] Coz the A9 is a cracking senic route.. ;)

just wondering, how far is -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.IF U Make it april/may . I wud go up to john"O With u and back to perth[5hrs ]each way. .[no motorways north o" perth] Coz the A9 is a cracking senic route.. ;)

Good shout John :thumb:

. Hi stevy .... FEB :unsure: Bad time o" year up here. [esp that A9] Apart from the crap of the road [vision] the weather up the north is very changable. And fuel stations are sparce[DT small tank] Its remote the farther north u go. Join the AA. them roads are lonley place at nt.[if breakdown]

IF U Make it april/may . I wud go up to john"O With u and back to perth[5hrs ]each way. .[no motorways north o" perth] Coz the A9 is a cracking senic route.. ;)

i will second that the A9 is brilliant at that time of year, must say though early morning on the A82 ? Stirling too oban road still weather clear lochs like mirrors is good, and glencoe clear frosty night patches of snow on the hills brilliant moonlight was one of the best sights i have ever seen and will never forget,

hmm, i may leave it until i come back from ireland then.

dont forget, going back to perth i will be doing about 30-40mph tops, you would likely get bored, lol :P

Where ever you are in the country your doing the route twice ...

Anyway, I did JoG-Le 18 months ago, a group of 9 of us did it avoiding motorways and major dual carriageways. We were all on sports bikes and the total milage was 1043 miles if I recall, we could have opped off a few miles but we wanted to make sure we took in the best roads we could ... so good in fact that MCN copied our route 6 months ago and did an article (they also did an article about our trip).

What I can tell you that even on sports min 600 sports bikes our times were ....

Day 1 - JoGLE to Hawick (12hours)

Day 2 - Hawick to Ross on Wye (14 Hours) an hour of this was lost time whilst we tried to find the Welsh Biknor YHA in pitch black

Day 3 - Ross on Wye to Lands End (9 hours)

Serious thought has to go into fuel stops as well, you have to breakdown the journey into sensible tank ranges and knowing exactly where you need to fuel up.

Here's a link to the site .. if you have a look at the PLAN it'll give you info about stopages/refuels.

http://www.thrape.fsnet.co.uk/jogle1000forcruk/

Hope it helps. and if you do go for it .. Good Luck! You'll Love it!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online