ybr 125 - it just keeps dying on me

spainy
This post is 5526 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have had my bike for about 5 months now, and at the beginning I had an intermitent problem that the bike just kept dying on me. It could be at lights, or driving along doing 60mph, it was very strange but seemed to stop.

It has now re -emerged with a vengeance and is happening several times a day. I changed the spark plug but nothing happened.

Just been to my local mechanics. He removed the fuel pipe and drained it in front of me. The fuel initiallycame out quickly and then began to drip and had no pressure at all. He then told me to take off the fuel cap whilst he continued to drain it. As soon as the cap came off the fuel began gushing out again. He says it's probably a problem with the cap thatits not allowing the fuel tank to breath. Does this sound correct?Has anyone had a similar problem?If so what is the solution?

Thanks and regards

Spainy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thats correct, as the fuel from the tank is used up it needs to be replaced with air or a vacuum will be developed in the tank, this vacuum would overcome the gravity feed to the carb of fuel pump. Open the cap and have a good look at it underneath, see if you can see any little holes that might be blocked up (Vent holes)

Thats correct, as the fuel from the tank is used up it needs to be replaced with air or a vacuum will be developed in the tank, this vacuum would overcome the gravity feed to the carb of fuel pump. Open the cap and have a good look at it underneath, see if you can see any little holes that might be blocked up (Vent holes)

GOd, I didnt even realise there were vent holes in the cap, I will have to look.

Thanks, I will report back.

Just had a look now, wiped the inside of the cap with a rag because at first I couldn't even see a hole. Uncovered it with the wiping, a very small hole in teh plastic, let's see if it makes a difference.

Am wondering if by filling the tank completely with 10 litres, that it is covereing the hole in gunk?

Just had a look now, wiped the inside of the cap with a rag because at first I couldn't even see a hole. Uncovered it with the wiping, a very small hole in teh plastic, let's see if it makes a difference.

Am wondering if by filling the tank completely with 10 litres, that it is covereing the hole in gunk?

Poke the hole through with a pin or something

a blocked vent hole will rpevent the air entering the tank, make sure you get it good and clear using a nail, pin or other small object, give it a blow with an airline if you have one

hiya mate i had a 50 cc 4 stroke ped that did the same as this i would be ridding along and it would all of a sudden die and drop down to about 10mph if your bike has a carb i reckon you sould buy a new one when i did this all my problems were solved i paid 30 pound for a new carb hope this helps

hiya mate i had a 50 cc 4 stroke ped that did the same as this i would be ridding along and it would all of a sudden die and drop down to about 10mph if your bike has a carb i reckon you sould buy a new one when i did this all my problems were solved i paid 30 pound for a new carb hope this helps

Thats a bit extreme, you should have cleaned your old one out, that would cost nothing, other that a carb cleaner spray!

i did i strip the carb checked every thing put back together and nothing had a play with the the fuel mixture screw i messed about with this for weeks but once i got a new one it was sorted i then relased it was the automatic chocke on the carb that was we-choke.jpgat was wrong with mye it looks like this e-choke.jpg look at this and if you get a new one of these it will solve a lot of prombles

• 2 weeks later...

Just to say thanks for the advice guys.

I cleaned the breather hole and put a pin in it and stretched it a bit - haven't looked back since and have had no more problems with it.

Who would believe something so silly could cause so many problems!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online