fjr1300

choppernorgate
This post is 5558 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

can eneone tell me if they know of what fults the fjr has as im thinking of getting one ive read the review s and they seem ok if u got one or know of em thanx ride safe

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

None particularly that I am aware of. A full on tourer that is still very sporty when you want it to be. I would recommend one over a Pan, GS or ZZR any day.

Faults..... It's BIG.

I'd have had one, except it's too big for anything but Touring, really.

You can use it for everyday riding and all, but it's a pain in the arse.

However, it's very comfy and is loaded out with stuff.

I've got an 08 FJR 1300A in Black. Its easier to list its good points rather than faults. However, if pushed I would say that the seat could be a bit more comfortable, and a heated seat would be good (no comments please gentlemen) as this bike is good to ride all year round. But that's about it, except the price - although this is falling rapidly as the recession bites. Some real bargains to be had (e.g. Whites / Fowlers). Come to think of it exhaust is rather quiet and characterless - but easily fixed with aftermarket cans (Mine has Beowulf Warriors for £350).

I can't say I find it particularly big or heavy (I'm 5'10', and with muscles that wouldn't look out of place on a hamster). IT's just a question of being in control and watching what you're doing. I'm happy to use it for everything, commuting, touring (at which its best) and sports riding (agility is astonishing and its easy to keep up with sports bikes due to the huge amount of torque - helps you go into bends slow but come out very fast). Weaving in and out of traffic no problem at all (so long as your filtering skills are up to it).

Stability is excellent, yet easy to chuck around once moving. Respect is needed when putting on stand or wheeling about manually though , as weight does become an issue then. But its precisely this weight that gives it such a good ride - comfortable, smooth, but precise and with no wallow at all. Quite an achievement.

Power is good, brakes excellent, handling great, good level of equipment, long range (around 250 miles), Pillion position is comfy, no chain to care for or cover things in oil.

Very, very smooth, easy to use; lazy power but very rapid accleration (easy to hit the rev limiter when doing 2nd gear overtakes - yet not prone to unwanted wheelies). Reliable and just fine to live with.

I love it to bits. Just hope they bring out a 1400 with another 25 bhp!

Thoroughly recommended

The Hedgehog

Respect is needed when putting on stand or wheeling about manually though , as weight does become an issue then.

Which is a better way of saying what I was trying to ;)

It is fast.

Have a mate on a VFR800 who was left for dust on a 1300 owners rideout last year.

However, they all ended up with tickets and points, so ride responsibly.

If I'd the money, I'd probably still get one.

Oh, here's one fault - The ma-HOO-ssive loppy lugs Yamaha came up with to plant around the mirrors as knuckle visors.

You look at most bikes, they have this little plastic gusset that slots into the fairing. Yamaha came up with these big stupid looking boxes!!

can eneone tell me if they know of what fults the fjr has as im thinking of getting one ive read the review s and they seem ok if u got one or know of em thanx ride safe

If you can get hold of iomrob (this forum) he will tell you about a trip round Europe on his FJR........on the back of a breakdown truck.

I love my feejer. Yes it's very big but it feel nearly as heavy as it is. I haven't met anybody yet that I can't keep up with. Not that they aren't out there, it's just a very capable bike. My biggest gripe about it was the throttle response in factory condition. Ultra lean jetting made it impossible to transition from coast back to power without a nasty snatch in the drivetrain. I installed a Power Commander and a set of slip-ons and the problem is fixed! It is now just about the best bike ever!

Of course the type of riding you do will dictate what bike you should have.

One thing I forgot to mention:

The FJR is over 80kg lighter than the ST100 and over 90kg lighter than the ST1300, 65kg or thereabouts lighter than the GS and ZZR or GTR.

If you needed another good pointer, Cumbria Constabulary have / are in the process of ditching all of thier Pans, and replacing them with FJR's - mainly on account of the Pan's have some questionable chassis enginnering.

The thing with the FJR is that its very hard to accurately pigeon-hole this one - does well as a tourer and also for sports.

Seems big but this vanishes when on the move. You get used to it anyway.

The thing to emphasise is that its just soooo smooth. Does everything you want it to, but without fuss. Turbine-like engine, great and precise handling, pulls in any gear. Two-up, you hardly notice there is a passenger.

I am biased but for my money the best all round bike ever made.

Just wish that;

a. They made a 1400 version with another 20-30 bhp, and that;

b. There were more extras available.

Paint jobs are a bit boring too.

However, it one of those machines you can get a real affection for.

Grin Factor 10, Mr sulu.

Hedgehog