Another Electronics question

wild foamy
This post is 5571 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone.

im getting myself a little satnav and would like it to be able to charge from my bike whilst im riding.

i can use the satnavs' mini USB port to supply the power (5Vdc), and because maplins sell the individual connectors i can make an adapter without much of a problem.

BUT.

my bike uses a 6V regulated supply for the indicators and brake light, would i be able to run a second wire from the Positive terminal on my 6Vdc battery, drop it through a 5Vdc regulator to the USB plug and then run a common ground from the USB plug and the regulator to the negative terminal on the battery, with an on/off switch on the handlebars

i was aiming for a 0.5 amp draw, which should be okay as my haynes manual indicates the charging current is a minimum of 0.8A (lights on @ 3000RPM) up to 2.0A (lights off @ 8000RPM)

any advice would be appreciated :)

Steve

5Vdcregulatordesign-1.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

that should work fine, in fact its a great idea as the bike is 6volt. any of the 1-1.5amp voltage regualtors would work and should provide a rock steady 5 volts to drive the sat-nav.

id use something like this:http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=10529

Lol, great minds think alike, i was just on the maplins website as i drew up that little schematic.

quick blast up to andover tomorrow then to go shopping for some parts :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online