1985 FZ 750 rebuild

djcrow22
This post is 4422 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Excellent work Kevin, getting much inspiration from you & your bike so thank you & thanks for your help & advice on the FZ750.com forum too. :)

Thanks for the kind words. I'm a firm believer you get back what you give so to speak. The help and information I've received on all of the forums has been phenomenal. It makes my day when someone else benefits even in a small way from what all of us here are trying to accomplish so thanks again. I've been dragging my butt lately on my build but progress is just around the corner. What are you working on? Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm a firm believer you get back what you give so to speak. The help and information I've received on all of the forums has been phenomenal. It makes my day when someone else benefits even in a small way from what all of us here are trying to accomplish so thanks again. I've been dragging my butt lately on my build but progress is just around the corner. What are you working on? Kevin

Kev I'm flat out on the FZ these last 2 weeks as work has gone a bit slack. Not too bothered, it always picks up & it gives me chance to make some much needed progress. I made a sub-frame from box section for my TRX seat unit last week & welded it to my modified FZ frame this week. It took me all of Wednesday & most of Thursday to weld all the brackets, nuts, lugs etc to it for stuff like expansion botle, brakefluid reservoir, seat catch, rear light, & of course the seat unit itself. Well worth it though, it looks like it was meant to be there now (well i think so).

Having camera problems at the minute but will post pics on the FZ foum when I'm sorted.

TRX is going back to factory stuff as the FZR forks, wheel & R1 brakes are going on the FZ. Just trying to find some clip ons that suit the FZR top yoke now as FZ ones don't fit very well. I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end ?

4000005.jpg

4000008.jpg4000011.jpg

I have more recent stuff on the camera but struggling to get it from there to my pc.

• 2 weeks later...

Kev I'm flat out on the FZ these last 2 weeks as work has gone a bit slack. Not too bothered, it always picks up & it gives me chance to make some much needed progress. I made a sub-frame from box section for my TRX seat unit last week & welded it to my modified FZ frame this week. It took me all of Wednesday & most of Thursday to weld all the brackets, nuts, lugs etc to it for stuff like expansion botle, brakefluid reservoir, seat catch, rear light, & of course the seat unit itself. Well worth it though, it looks like it was meant to be there now (well i think so).

Having camera problems at the minute but will post pics on the FZ foum when I'm sorted.

TRX is going back to factory stuff as the FZR forks, wheel & R1 brakes are going on the FZ. Just trying to find some clip ons that suit the FZR top yoke now as FZ ones don't fit very well. I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end ?

4600008-1.jpg

4000008.jpg4000011.jpg

I have more recent stuff on the camera but struggling to get it from there to my pc.

Graham,

After seeing the pics I just "figured out" that G. Beale and Graham were the same guys! Good to hear from you... I'm impressed with your fabrication skills, the rear end on your bike is looking sweet! Saw on another post you might pick up Glenn's 750 motor. Hell of a deal for 50 pounds. You're making great progress, I'm going to borrow some inspiration from you and get back in the garage. Take care, Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Graham,

After seeing the pics I just "figured out" that G. Beale and Graham were the same guys! Good to hear from you... I'm impressed with your fabrication skills, the rear end on your bike is looking sweet! Saw on another post you might pick up Glenn's 750 motor. Hell of a deal for 50 pounds. You're making great progress, I'm going to borrow some inspiration from you and get back in the garage. Take care, Kevin

Sorry Kevin I forgot I have a different user name on here, think Graham was taken.

I will update my thread on the FZ forum when I get chance but here's 2 pictures to give you an idea of how mine will look.

P1020007.jpgP1020003.jpg

Frame is painted black now & I have a complete front end ready to go on with new bearings & all.

getting a lot of satisfaction from working on my FZ but it's all stop for now whilst I wait on the engine from Glenn.

Keep up the good work your end. :)

• 5 months later...

Hi, I'm new to this group I actually joined because of this bike. I recently bought an 85' FZ750 it's probably in just slightly better condition than the black one pictured in your post, but I love it and would like to restore it to original. how did you achieve yours? I noticed It is very hard find plastics and emblems. how do I start? any advise would be helpfull. Thanks

Hi, I'm new to this group I actually joined because of this bike. I recently bought an 85' FZ750 it's probably in just slightly better condition than the black one pictured in your post, but I love it and would like to restore it to original. how did you achieve yours? I noticed It is very hard find plastics and emblems. how do I start? any advise would be helpfull. Sorry didn't notice there are a bunch of posts, I was refering to the first post at the top.

Hello agfz750, Why not start a restoration thread like Kevin has with pictures of your progress (once you start restoring that is). Don't expect a huge response on here though, my thread was on here for months without a reply so I deleted it. I hope Kevin doesn't mind the odd deviation on his. I am guilty of posting pictures of one of my bikes above, sorry Kev. :blush:

As the owner of 3 FZ's (2 runners & 1 spares bike) I have found that good quality panels are by far THE most difficult item to locate. there are several forums dedicated to the FZ, the best ones being FZ750.com & FZ750.net (my opinion not fact). They aren't as busy as some forums but the dozen or so regular users can be very helpful in solving running problems & modification queries. The bikes you will find on there are of all standards from rough non runners to immaculately restored & anything in between so don't be shy, get over to the FZ750.com site & register now ! You will thank me when you do. :D I'm Graham on there & can help you with posting pictures as the format is a bit dated.

See you on the other side soon I hope ?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just wondering how the build is going been a few years since you have posted on this forum, did you use the stock fz750 rear shock or did you use the fxr1000