1985 FZ 750 rebuild

djcrow22
This post is 4422 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have one running 1985 FZ750. one 1986 FZ that should run and one partial '85 for parts.

DSC_0016.jpg

This one will bump start, starter sprag clutch is fried(catches then spins), has no ignition switch, fuel cap broken ect...

DSC_0009.jpg

The black one is an '86, the '85 has a complete engine and cosmetics in various states of wear.

DSC_0011-1.jpg

Pretty rough...

DSC_0013-1.jpg

I have an FZ 1000 fork, swingarm and wheels that I'm going to use.

DSC_0019_edited.jpg

I bought this wrecked '86 when I lived in Napa, CA and repaired it in the late '80's.

107_4695.jpg

I think this is an '87 or '88 FZ 1000 swingarm. Anyone know for sure? I'm trying to fit up FZ 1000 wheels to my '85 FZ 750. The 1000 wheel fits and has clearance but I can't get the rr caliper bracket to fit.

107_4696.jpg

To clarify, at this point I am trying to put the 1000 rr wheel on the 750 swingarm.

107_4697.jpg

The 1000 swingarm will fit the 750 frame at the pivot point but the shock linkages are different. The 750 shock is a narrower width.

107_4698.jpg

To do the swap do I need the 1000 shock and linkage? Any insight would be appreciated.

Figured out the FZR shock and relay assy are needed to use the RR wheel and found them on Ebay. I should have those parts in a week. I sanded and polished the V&H aluminum canister that was really scratched and gouged. Took a couple days but it came out ok. Starting to work on the FZR forks and should have those mounted this week. Here's a couple of pics of the exhaust canister.

107_4714-1.jpg

107_4717.jpg

• 3 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The build is coming along slowly, I've been trying to fit up the FZR 1000 rear wheel/swingarm. I tried an FZR shock and linkage but the geometry was off and the machining and welding required to make it fit was out of the question. I have settled on the FZ swingarm and shock, modifying the stock rr caliper bracket to fit up the wheel.

107_4756.jpg

This is the FZR 1000 swingarm and the 750 shock and linkage. The FZR linkage would not come close to fitting up to the 750 frame tabs.

107_4767.jpg

I removed the necessary thickness from the caliper carrier with a sawzall, grinder and dremel tool.

107_4766.jpg

A bit rough but I can clean it up and repaint.

107_4762.jpg

Fit up is good but I need to find or make an FZR 1000 sprocket side spacer to finish it up.

107_4764.jpg

The build is coming along slowly, I've been trying to fit up the FZR 1000 rear wheel/swingarm. I tried an FZR shock and linkage but the geometry was off and the machining and welding required to make it fit was out of the question. I have settled on the FZ swingarm and shock, modifying the stock rr caliper bracket to fit up the wheel.

107_4756.jpg

This is the FZR 1000 swingarm and the 750 shock and linkage. The FZR linkage would not come close to fitting up to the 750 frame tabs.

107_4767.jpg

I removed the necessary thickness from the caliper carrier with a sawzall, grinder and dremel tool.

107_4766.jpg

A bit rough but I can clean it up and repaint.

107_4762.jpg

Fit up is good but I need to find or make an FZR 1000 sprocket side spacer to finish it up.

107_4764.jpg

Nice FZ750 pure sports I would guess it would be good to just do the 750 to std and not worry about using the FZ1000 running gear.

Regards Jim

Nice FZ750 pure sports I would guess it would be good to just do the 750 to std and not worry about using the FZ1000 running gear.

Regards Jim

Hey Jim, When I bought the three bikes restoring to stock was the intention but you know how riders and ex racers are! What fun is it without a challenge? Wider wheels and bigger brakes are like crack. I'm having a good time and there are not any time constraints so I'll keep at it. Thanks for looking and commenting. Take care, Kevin

Hey Jim, When I bought the three bikes restoring to stock was the intention but you know how riders and ex racers are! What fun is it without a challenge? Wider wheels and bigger brakes are like crack. I'm having a good time and there are not any time constraints so I'll keep at it. Thanks for looking and commenting. Take care, Kevin

Hi Kevin,

the point I was making was that one bike may be restored to std, with the knowledge gained from that the custom builds would be a load easier !

Regards Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Working on the front end, bolted things up to check how it all fits and seems to be ok. Here are some pics...

Anyone know a way to remove the lower steering stem bearing without a bearing puller?

107_4792.jpg

107_4796.jpg

107_4797.jpg

107_4802.jpg

107_4800.jpg

Jim, here ya go...

85_fz750_600.jpg

YamahaFZ750851.jpg

2004_08_09_bikepics-192982-full.jpg

2004_08_09_bikepics-192985-800.jpg

Lawson86Daytona.jpg

LawsonDaytona2.jpg

Not all stock pics but any pic of Eddie racing is good to go...

If thats yours (not the Eddie pics) it looks a good old stock FZ750 !

Regards Jim

This is my stocker before the rebuild...

DSC_0016.jpg

Hi,

looks like it only needs a bit of tarting up .... unless there are some motor problems

Regards Jim

Hi,

looks like it only needs a bit of tarting up .... unless there are some motor problems

Regards Jim

Jim, I see you are rebuilding an FS 1. What US model is an FS 1? Any pics? Thanks, Kevin

hey man love you;re project; im in the throws of doing something similar; ive just started stripping an engine i purchased recently; and need a std size set of piston rings; over here in newzealand they are around $200 just for 1 set of rings(x4!!) ridiculous pricing; any ideas on where to get some at reasonble cost? or willng to use other brand and or modify my pistons to suit. im planning on ceramic coating piston tops andcombustion chambers and valves; love that stuff; and reasonable pricing too. fz750s seem to be put together quite well; although i hear gearboxes can get worn at higher mileages and out shaft brgs on gearboxes can go as well; may be a chain adjustment thing.Any ides on increasing performance a tad would be appreciated; i hear opening up the exhaust ports can make them rev quiker; any commets? cheers an go well fellow fz nutters

hey man love you;re project; im in the throws of doing something similar; ive just started stripping an engine i purchased recently; and need a std size set of piston rings; over here in newzealand they are around $200 just for 1 set of rings(x4!!) ridiculous pricing; any ideas on where to get some at reasonble cost? or willng to use other brand and or modify my pistons to suit. im planning on ceramic coating piston tops andcombustion chambers and valves; love that stuff; and reasonable pricing too. fz750s seem to be put together quite well; although i hear gearboxes can get worn at higher mileages and out shaft brgs on gearboxes can go as well; may be a chain adjustment thing.Any ides on increasing performance a tad would be appreciated; i hear opening up the exhaust ports can make them rev quiker; any commets? cheers an go well fellow fz nutters

To begin with, I'm not experienced as an engine builder. The FZ 750 engine I'm taking apart now is really the first time for me and I'm learning as I go. I have been corresponding with CP3 on this website as he is undertaking an engine rebuild with similar experience as my own. The OS pistons and rings are expensive here as well. I don't have any info on the gearboxes, bearings and performance increases outside of the usual carb kit and air intake mods. Here are a couple other FZ sites with experienced gearheads that might help. Good luck and thanks for the inquiry... Kevin

PS One problem and thing to look into is the starter clutch assy as long as the engine is torn down and the cases split. Check and replace the springs and dowels in the starter clutch itself. The bike I'm rebuilding has that problem and I'm putting off taking my one running engine apart to fix it right now. The other engine I'm tearing down is a learn as I go thing which will help when I get around to fixing my "good" bike...

http://fzronline.com/forum/index.php?sid=5...c0a69bf7b4e522b

http://fzronline.com/forum/index.php?sid=5...c0a69bf7b4e522b

http://www.bikepics.com/yamaha/fz750/

• 1 month later...

After getting some help from a rider in England who completed the FZR 1000 swingarm swap onto an FZ 750, I gave the swap another try. After a bit of cutting and grinding last night I got the swingarm fit up with the FZR shock and linkage. Here are a few pics:

107_5016.jpg

Swingarm, shock and linkage installed, still a bit more grinding to do to clean up and give plenty of clearance.

107_5017.jpg

Prior to grinding off centerstand spring clip and material from both mounting ears.

107_5022.jpg

After grinding, it all lines up. Discovered that the 750 linkage bolt is a larger diameter than the 1000 bolt. Used a rear engine mount bolt from the 750 (note the long bolt) that was the right diameter. I think I can have the 1000 bushing machined out to accept the 750 mounting bolt.

107_5021.jpg

I haven't given up the idea of keeping the centerstand which is why I didn't just whack the whole lower ear off. I'll see today if that's a pipe dream or not.

107_5019.jpg

107_5023.jpg

More grinding to do to give clearance for linkage bolthead and nut.

Today I finished the cutting and grinding, figured out I would have to lose the centerstand which pains me greatly, but off it went. I'm happy with how it turned out. Also, my friend Chris in Missouri told me about Chaparral Motorsports and they had the Yamaha RR wheel spacer I needed that the local Yamaha Dealer said was a discontinued part. Hell of a good day! Here are some pics:

107_5024.jpg

Centerstand had to go and I'll miss it dearly, I'm old and I like centerstands that come with the bike...

107_5025.jpg

107_5028.jpg

107_5029.jpg

107_5031.jpg

The 750 bolt and bushing on the left, the shorter FZR 1000 bushing on the right.

107_5033.jpg

The stock shock was made by Ohlins.

107_5034.jpg

The FZR bushing needs to be drilled or machined to accept the larger diameter 750 mounting bolt.

107_5030.jpg

Different ID's on the two bushings.

107_5035.jpg

All done but for paint.

107_5036.jpg

107_5037.jpg

107_5040.jpg

Everything but a rr wheel spacer and two 6mm spacers for the linkage.

107_5042.jpg

107_5044.jpg

107_5045.jpg

That's a 170/60/18 Metzler on there.

107_5046.jpg

107_5048.jpg

The bike is coming together great! Thats awesome! I need to get to work on my so we can meet up sometime.

Got your pm about your account. Send an email to the moderator and he can probably get you squared away. When you get your picture post back send it to me. I'm jazzed about getting the rear end on. I'm getting all the machine work together to get it done at the same time. Here's the paintjob I would like eventually to get done:

fz400_edited.jpg

Ways to go before that happens... Stay in touch

• 1 month later...

Excellent work Kevin, getting much inspiration from you & your bike so thank you & thanks for your help & advice on the FZ750.com forum too. :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online