tap tap and more tap

2enjoi2
This post is 5548 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ive had my 1999 r6 a while now wiht no problems. but today after accidentaly taking a wrong turn and going down a muddy rocky farm road (slowly) it began to tap in conjunction with the revs i gave it. i.e, the more revs, the more taps. fairly loud. it sounded really bad at the time so i stopped and let it cool down a bit. on the way home it kept taping. but getting quieter.

heres where i explain ive been riding witha guy on a 125 and as of late i rarely exceed 50mph.

so when i got home i took it to my local duel carrige way and gave it some. after that no noise.

havnt riden it since incase its serious. perhaps the tap-its?? im thinking of taking it to a mechanic. but any information given would help me not get ripped off, as i have no clue. so he could tell me anythign for any price and i would probably do it.

cheers for any input.

david

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You'd be surprised what kind of noises you'll hear from the valvetrain IF the oil needs changing. :unsure:

Cheap reassurance if anything.

Did it tap even if the bike was stationary?

yes it did. i took it out today. no tap or noise.... very confusing. i wouldnt normaly worry, but this was really loud tapping, and i love my bike lol.

You'd be surprised what kind of noises you'll hear from the valvetrain IF the oil needs changing. :unsure:

Cheap reassurance if anything.

i had a full service just before winter. and i havnt ridden as often as i do in the summer.

I had a large tapping comming from the garage, it turned out it was my daughter practising her tap exams!! :D