Yamaha YZF 600 Thundercat

kevin10529
This post is 1699 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Been thinking about getting a Yamaha YZF 600 Thundercat. I know its not got the street cred of the Fazer/r6 ect but they are suppose to be good bikes for tall ppl, good on fuel+comfy for the mways/touring as well as fun for a blast.

Prices are rather cheap 2.

Been reading mixed reviews on the Interweb and was wondering what knowledge you legends had about them, common faults what to watch out for when buying, good points/bad point ect.

Cheers Kevin

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

In all honesty, probably the best bike I ever owned. Good tourer, good sports bike, excellent all rounder.

If you are buying one, you need to look out for a few things:

* 2nd gear - redline in 2nd on the test ride. If it pops into neutral, walk away. This means a 4 figure repair bill to re-build the box and replace worn dogs.

* Rear Shock - Check the adjuster ring moves and check the shock compresses with weight applied. The lack of protection from the back wheel's crud flinging can lead to seizure if not properly cleaned and maintained. If a hugger or undertray has been fitted, this is a good sign of a careful owner.

* Downpipes - Whip off the belly pan and check, with the engine running, for any blowing of the exhaust around the block. Don't think this can be solved by tightening up the exhaust clamps.

* EXUP - While you have the belly pan off, check the EXUP is in place. With the engine off, turn the ignition to 'on' and listen for the servo whine (this carries on for about 4-5 seonds as the servo adjusts). Also check that the tacho isn't showing a 7k fault code for seized EXUP valve.

Other than that, check the normal things like tyres, chain, sprockets, lights, etc.

As a guide, for the latest 2004/2005 Thundercat, regardless of condition, I would not pay any more than about £2500.

My cat had EXUP. It was a 1999 model with the FZR600RR engine :)

Hi, just noticed this topic and aggree with everything especialy the second gear trick.

One last thing, if its a late model like mine was ride it slowly and feel for a stutter that starts about 2500 rpm and clears up just after 3000rpm. It doesn't sound like much but it will catch you out so many times and riiding in traffic is a right pain.

neil

Had my 98 Thundercat since 2000. Has given me superb service...great all round bike. I have thrashed over Welsh mountains, toured europe, done the Napolen run, the cat and fiddle, chugged to work, carted the Mrs about. Fabulous bike

Hi, just noticed this topic and aggree with everything especialy the second gear trick.

One last thing, if its a late model like mine was ride it slowly and feel for a stutter that starts about 2500 rpm and clears up just after 3000rpm. It doesn't sound like much but it will catch you out so many times and riiding in traffic is a right pain.

neil

Mine too!! Right pain, also don't sit there with your thumb on the stater expecting it to start unless you crack the throttle open a smidge. But thats my only two issues, other than that I love it to bits! Good economy, fast enough for me, comfy enough for the little lady, less that £95 a year to insure ( 0 no claims bonus and less than thirty.. just).

Does it get any better??

Thanks for all th advice, top class as always. This 2nd gear problem common? Its putting me off a little bit. Might not risk it and settle for a CBR6. (please feel free to reply in disgust!!!!)

I'm relatively new to bikes but the Cat is my first bike and it gets a thumbs up from me! I commute - subject to weather :unsure: from Salisbury to Rossendale north of Manchester on a weekend, return cost about £24 and no aching backside!! :rolleyes:

Thumbs up from me B) ....wouldn't let the second gear thing put you off totally, most things mechanical, car or bike will have 'something to look out for'.

Thanks for all th advice, top class as always. This 2nd gear problem common? Its putting me off a little bit. Might not risk it and settle for a CBR6. (please feel free to reply in disgust!!!!)

Don't let that put you off, there's plenty of Cats to choose from.

I forgot to mention that the 2nd gear problem more often than not occurs, IME, on bikes that have been raced. Check fixings for lockwire holes - that's a good indicator of whether it has been raced or not. If it has aftermarket fairings, that is also a tell-tale sign.

There are so many more good Cats out there than bad ones. Just remember that a mint looking one will command twice the price of most others. Don't be put off by minor scrapes and bruises, the Cat is a popular 1st bike so the odd drop must be expected.

Your best bet for a decent Cat is from somewhere like here or the Thunderace & Thundercat Owners Forum (I'll leave you to Google it rather than risk a telling off for directly linking).

Try and avoid eBay if you can. From experience, I can tell you that there are more bikes for sale with non-visible and costly problems than kosha ones. If you do go down the eBay route, make sure you always see and test ride the bike before you bid. Don't get caught out like I have been a couple of times.

• 10 years later...

OK Mr Thundercats, I'm new here and here's my beef. I bought a runing, non MOT, 1997. 34.5k on the clock, Cat for £500, and should have offered him £300.  Cheesy manifold = new stainless one £199.  Powder coated wheels and spring£120. New Chinese crap fairing, new front tyre, handlebar raisers, seat and and a few other things = around £1000 so far. First night I had it,  I drove it, illegally, around the nearby Dundrod circuit and hit 100 MPH in 5'th. befor e the excellent brakes saved me when I ran out of road. Next day I began stripping it, except for the engine. Now rebuiding, the Petrol Pump was on its last legs, so packed in. Yes I battery tested it. It is Kaput. Got a Chinese replacement for £18.50 off e Bay. It seemed OK off the battery, but when Iinstalled it, it only 5 secs primed carbes once, and woouldn't start or seemed to prime the carbs. The ICU is sending the 5 sec pulse as I can hear it clickingon and off, but she only makes one thump from the pump? Is this because the carbs are full? she only firesand runs for a sec and cuts out. I believe it is no fuel reaching?  I may have been sold a faulty new pump? What d ya'll voices of experience say? Any of you had this issue. I'm new to bikes and the last one iHAad was PAOWER VALVE in 1990. I dont think it's my ICU unit, and now today when I tested the pump straight off the battery, nothing happened? I'LL take it all off again tomporrow and re test it?

• 2 weeks later...

Chinese fuel pump that doesn't work on the battery. 

Bin it before you ruin something really expensive.