To lube or not to lube!

Phill Taylor
This post is 5575 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Ok lets get down and dirty here what lube do you use,

I have been looking around for the best lube for chains and springs and well everything that needs it for my ybr125. After work one day i took my self to the great halfords and started looking at what they had, i was a little confused.

So me being me i asked a few members of staff to come over so i can get a some different views, after about 10 mins i left with some Castrol LM Grease now before using it i wanted to google my new buy to see if there is any down sides or if its going to blow up when i get to 30 mph.

So after a few hrs i couldn't find more than 1 post to do with chains. so my question is, is this lube the lube for me? and even if its not the best will it do the job? :lol:

Cheers for any help in advance and lets keep it clean ;)

Link to Castrol lm grease - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165705

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I dunno - i have a shaft drive :lol:

Personally i would have gone to your local bike shop and asked rather than Halfords. If they are anything like the staff at my local store they are automated morons who havent a clue about any of the products they stock.

Me - ive always used Wurth products - never had a problem.

Im sure the Castol lube will be just fine - if its supposd to lube, then it will lube. :D

If thats what they sold you then it`s just LM grease !!

Most Halfrauds sell chain lube,either there own brand or Castrol, these both come in a spry can, usual thing is to wipe the chain with a rag soaked in parafin to get rid of the crud, dry the chain with a clean rag then give it a good spry with the chain lube, you can of coarse use a spry chain cleaner but the parafin is cheaper.

I usualy clean the chain once a month and lubricate the chain every 200 miles or after a wet ride, all depends on the miles you do.

I use Wurth dry chain lube, not cheap, but does a good job, my last chain lasted 24000 miles and thats on a Fazer 1000.

Winzer Wurth Dry Chain Lube or SDOC White Chain Wax. Both German brands and he best out there :D

I've always been using WD40 to clean and Castrol to lube the chain, got 27000 miles out of it on my R1, so seems to work well :D

WD40 is a very effective cleaner and I use it a lot but there are those who worry about the possible unwanted side effects of using it to clean chains - http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-chain-cleaner/

I'm not sure whether there is a real cause for worry and given that R1Mad has got 27k out of the chain suggests there's not much wrong with it! Whatever the "real" answer, regular cleaning and lubrication are to my mind more important than the choice of products.

hi mate i use wurth dry chain. best i have found as it doesnt land all over the back wheel !!!!. my neighbour is a sales rep for them and he gave me a can and i havent used anything else since. wurth also do a lot of nuts, bolts, electrical conectors, ect too so he is handy to know.

Whatever the "real" answer, regular cleaning and lubrication are to my mind more important than the choice of products.

I would agree with that.

I use a Scottoiler on my XTZ, I use Dry Lube on the Fizzer and HG Chainspray on the dirt bike, the reasons;

XTZ, I do lots of mile son this, so the oiler makes sense, I've 10200 mile son the Z and the chain has not had a need for adjustment yet. These are by far the best way to keep your drivechain alive. I give this a bit 'support' in this weather by putting a light spray of wet lube once a week.

Fizzer, I don't do much on this. to be honest I'm not a lover of the 600 in-line 4's I preffer a bike that delivers it's power lower down. Anyway, the dry lube is great for this, I lube after every ride (important point here with dry lube, it only works on warm chains, being wax it needs to melt to get into the joints). I never do more than 200 miles in a single ride on this bike - it's just not comfortable enough (for me anyway)

TTR - I need something gooey, sticky and effective on this bike, the Hien Gerricke chain spray is good value, the chain gets a complete clean and re-lube after every ride, so there's little point in spending twice as much on a product that does the same job.

The key to this isn't the product (it helps but it's not the be all and end all) it's how you look after your chain. Keep it clean and well lubed and it will last for ages. abuse it and forget it an it will bugger up before your eyes....

WD is a degreaser/water inhibitor, so using, under pressure onto the chain will wash out the grease from between the O rings, alot depends on how well you lube the chain up after too (so if you lube it propperly then you'll be OK). If you want a cheap cleaner for your chain, get some parafin (a few quid a gallon), appy it with a brush and wash off with a hosepipe, then re-lube. You won't damage the O rings, and you'll get all the muck out.

It's horses for courses as they say...