how fast is fast?

troyboy
This post is 5490 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

to be honest the thumpers (650 single H****AS) do not feel particularly stable or safe at over 80 mph

You got it there! Did get 150kmh in Germany last year but it wasn't enjoyable, just seeing where it would stop.

When i had my CBR i used to throttle it everywhere.

I had the same problem with the VFR800

Im a good rider, least i think i am, but then dont we all........

I alway belive this is paradoxical, those that are good riders, never claim to be. Those who do claim - rarely are...

I realised one day ........., i had 3 kids at home who needed me more than the funeral parlour did, so i traded in my CBR and bought myself an XVS - i havent looked back since. I began to realise that biking wasnt just about how fast you could go, and i began to enjoy it even more than i ever did, and i still am.

I realised that too, comes with experience I think. It's the point when you figure out that life is a journey, not a race......

I've ridden with several fast people and to be honest, I prefer sitting back and riding like a Psychic, rather than a Psycho.

For some reason I awlays end up at the front, not because I'm fastest, but I am usually the most consistant. I often find some riders feel pressured into riding fast and having someone at the front who rides thier own ride often makes the whole thing more enjoable for all. Then again you always get Mr Hero complaining that the pace wasn't quick enough.... Funny thing is, it's the girlies who seam to preffer a smooth consistant rider at the front.......

There is no substitute for making the hardest parts seem easy as feck!!

Ain't that the truth....

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My lovely old TZR250 was 18 on november 1st so I treat her gently as she is still on her first bore and mint. Makes me a bloody boring old sod to be honest but I just enjoy riding the bike within my limits which is erm, limited :lol: so I generally stick to the speed limits. Anyway lets face it, she may nippy in a short sprint but anything over 100 and I am likely to sieze the bloomin engine!! I go to the Nurburgring a fair bit in the car so I am the opposite way round from most on here I guess. Utterly rape the car and treat my lovely bike with loads of care.

Fast = 50mph, its all i could squeeze out of my little DT50 and that was downhill all huddled up against the bike, getting alaughed at by every chav in their honda civics, but it was fun :)

fast through a corner = 30mph... learnt a very painful lesson whilst trying to get my knee down on a push-bike... skinny tyres on wet roads = FAIL, still havent got my confidence back enough to go over far enough on my DT

How do you get over the fear of your bike sliding when you hit those s curves? :unsure:

Same way as how you conquered all the fears you had when first learning to ride.

Do it right, survive it, learn the limits, rinse & repeat.

, still havent got my confidence back enough to go over far enough on my DT

Get your bike onto some Green Lanes, stick to the code, but you'll soon start to learn how the bike tells you when the wheels are giving up on grip. The good thing is, you don't even need to be going fast, anything up to 25mph. Once you get back on tarmac you'll be suprised how your confidence has grown.

On my 50cc I've never found that "too fast" mark, I've only ever had her at 65, and that was slipstreaming so I couldn't really enjoy it ^^ I had to stop cos my 2 second stopping distance became a 1 second and then I decided that the lorry driver wouldnt be able to see me soon. I dropped back, I'm looking forward to a bit more power ^^

stick to the speed limit , it must be fast enough cos the goverment said so,

and they cant be wrong,

can they?

of course if your not one to listen to 'the man' because 'they' want to control you then wring its neck till you sh*t yourself,

then you now how fast is fast,

of course you dont want to be 'dangerous' so consider all the circumstances, weather, wind, road condition,other motorists etc,

and this from a guy with ten points (all for speeding) :lol:

'if you had kept going i'd never have caught you' said the nice officer in his 3 ltr bmw,

'i'll keep that in mind' says I.

'so what speed was i doing?'

'Dunno but i couldnt keep up with you'

careless driving and the twat couldnt even tell me what speed i was at ..

too fast when i passed him.

i know i shouldnt have but it was a nice day , no traffic, three lanes of empty road ... well, <_< empty except for mr rozzer.

now i just take things easy tho. :D

today gabby was a good day for the bike, up our way

i was doing some stupid speed today, cause the roads were dry

gota have some fun eh

:huh: Remember it is not how fast you go that will kill you it is how fast you stop, think about it.

Lew

• 3 weeks later...

How fast is fast? that is as fast as the bike will go. The speedo is marked to 190kph but she runs a bit way past that.

Location, location location.

This lovely little bike can do ANYTHING up to 69 mph going to Sunday School

LOUDPIPElighter.jpg

nice ninja, was out with one a day ago, over takin at 145mph+ on A roads

they are quick bikes

note* closed private roads

nice ninja, was out with one a day ago, over takin at 145mph+ on A roads

they are quick bikes

note* closed private roads

"It is alleged"

just a quick question! on a normal sunday ride out how fast does the average bloke or lady ride before they say thats fast enough and they back off the throttle and say THIS IS STUPID!.

Bearing in mind its a nice national speed limit road they know and the weathers perfect an all that stuff.

I know people are going 2 say, depends on the bike and the experience of the rider, but everybody has a limit don't they? is it just nudge the 60mph limit or abliterate it!!!!!!!!!. thanks. :blink:

I am going to say 80 ,, we are talking street :) HOWEVER ,,, my sundays at the strip are about 116 on the 1/8 mile :) cool on the strip stupid on the street , i think anyway :)

• 4 weeks later...

tbh as a few have said..

but its how quick is a bike..

things that i notice are how fast you can get out of tricky situations on motorway commuting..

how noticable the bike is

if its fun to ride that fast..

Im stuck witha choice for bikes between an fzr1000 and a zzr1100.. both fast bikes and a little bigger than i need but someone i know is selling them both cheap..

my mate has a gsxr1000 and his missus hasa gsxr600.. he is faster.. ( higher top end ) hers is a hell of a lot quicker.. (more usable power and handing means that down country lanes.. you just see her going off in the distance.. )

I used to have an er5.. and ive once been caught behind someone on an r1.. becasue at the end of the day they cant use that power round country lanes.. he caught upto me a few miles down and wanted to know what i had done to my ikle er5.. to be riding so quick on it.

I used to have an er5.. and ive once been caught behind someone on an r1.. becasue at the end of the day they cant use that power round country lanes.. he caught upto me a few miles down and wanted to know what i had done to my ikle er5.. to be riding so quick on it.

I see the same thing on the TTR (600 Single, off road setup), around the narrow lanes the sports bikes just can't cut it, it's another story on the B roads, and A roads aren't even considered!

Maybe, I'm faster around these roads because I have an option, the gutter! bikes with road rubber have the black stuff, I would have a much wider road (unlit the hedge jumps out that is), maybe it's because I have a full set of body armour, MX boots etc and I feel safer? Lots of possibilities I guess

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online