Morocco Jan 09 - The plan is coming together

Tomo
This post is 5494 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This has been in planning for some time but now the time is getting near and the ferry from Dover to Calais is booked. The R6 may not be the most ideal bike for 5000 miles in 2 weeks but what the hell. I am going to make the most of it and fun is the aim of the game.

It looks all in that we will have everything packed into around 6 days in Morocco.

This is the rough route

Calais - Tours

Tours - San Sebastian

San Sebastian - Toledo - I hear people often say good things about Toledo

Toledo - Malaga

Malaga - Algeciras

Morocco

1) Tanger - Cefchaouen going via Tetouan

2) Chefchaouen - Fes N13 heading south through Ouezzane and onto Fes or maybe Meknes.

3) Fes onto the N8 south througgh Azrou and staying on the N8 down to Beni Mella. Possibly staying at what wat appears to be a lake due south of Beni Mellal at Bin-El-Ouidane off the R301

4) Taking either a winding route of the R301 or heading back to the N8 and west towards Marrakech

5) Marrakech taking the N7 to El Jadida following the Coastal R320 into Casablanca

6) Casablanca - Tanger

Then heading back north

Algeciras - Malaga

Malaga - Benidorm (Need a few pints)

Benidorm - Barcelona

Barcelona - Cannes (Maybe so we can take the Route Napoleon (N85))

Not sure how bad the weather will be round there though. Any experience?

Cannes - Grenoble via the N85 and onto Dijon

The last push Dijon - Home

Anyone got any experience of similar?

Also looking for input of wild camping in Spain?

I just can not wait to hit the road now and start heading south :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

When are you going ??

The weather through France in April/May can be bl00dy crap to be frank, you'll be taking the western side down and the rain comes straight in off the Atlantic, with that you get wind so be prepaired for riding at 45 degree angles for long distances.

I've done it a few times downa as far as Gibraltar, have a read, it's all on the website , and you may well pick up some more information :http://www.smokingtailpipes.com/smokingtailpipes_v4-draft_010.com

When you hit southern spain and the Sierra Nevada mountains they are spectacular, but very very cold don't be suprised of you are riding in glorious sunsine and temperatures below 0c, my camel back froze on this section.

The road that drops you down from the mountains towards Malaga is just superb. more descent and twists than you can shake a stick at, beware of your speed as this motorway has some really tight switchbacks on it - seeing (and riding it) is believing!

When you leave Malaga, head back into the mountains, then head west towards Ronda, then take the road from Ronda to Algericas, this is another superb road down through the mountains, it's one of the must see's of the area.

Can't help with Morocco, never had enough time to get there.

Camping in spain is a bit hit and miss, you'll be on rocky ground so a really good matteres is a must. I found that an airbed takes up less room than a rolly-up-foam-thing and is way more comfortable. Watch out for the 'ladies of the night' they like to patrol the campsites.....

The area around Cannes is manic, probably due to the Italian drivers on this part - take care, as they won't.

Can't help with the run through the middle of France, I've always see France as a bit of a neccasary evil - strange really as I've had some of my most enlightening encounters in France. Top Tip, at the very least learn to ask them in French, if they can speak English, be humble and they are really nice people.

Despite what you might hear about the Basque area of Spain (Bilbao, San Sebastian etc) they are nice people and you're not going to get killed in a terrorist explosion, they area is very busy though (as you would expect being the main route from Spain into Europe). Although I'd advise you stay on the French side of the border, but that is just my prefference. Spain is nothing like the holiday resorts, and English isn't that widely spoken, so a phrase book is a must.

It's a brilliant run, you should enjoy it if you let yourself experience it.

Thats some great info there. I really appreciate that!

Basically we will be setting off for dover the early hours of monday morning. (12/01) We all know it's the wrong time of year really to be doing it but it's the only time we have all got. Just had 2 months leave after getting back from Iraq before starting civilian employment again in Feb.

There is another European ride in planning for the summer.

Yes I know what you are saying about France being a necessary evil. We were initially looking at something like Plymouth Bilbao so we could miss out France but non of the operators run that route at this time of year.

Right going to have a read through that link you posted.

Thanks again

:D

P.s have you done much in the way of right ups about your XT660Z. I'm thinking of getting one after this ride.

P.s have you done much in the way of right ups about your XT660Z. I'm thinking of getting one after this ride.

I did 8224ish miles around Europe last year, leaving from Newcastle and transiting Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourgh, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, The Arctic Circle, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria, Slovinia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Italy, France, Spain and into Portugal. The rod from Portugal to Amsterdam in a oner!! (not reccomended) then home.

I'm writing the website updates at the momment, it's just atking alot of time! the trip blog is on the website though.

Here I am at the end:

P9130118.JPG

P9130117.JPG

I did this on the Z, without a single problem. There are a couple of minor faults that some people have found, the wiring harness is over tight and it can wear through if you don't release the cable ties a bit, and some have had problems with the rectifier connector get wet. The Yam luggage has iffy locks (but there's loads of aftermarket stuff now) but thats about it. I've done over 10,000 miles since June and it's a comfy as anything else I've riden, and you get some off-road ability into the bargain!!

If you want to get a real feel for it, there is a miriad of information available on the XT660 site at www.xt660.com there is a whole section on the Z, and you can see what people have been doing on it!!!

I did 8224ish miles around Europe last year, leaving from Newcastle and transiting Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourgh, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, The Arctic Circle, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria, Slovinia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Italy, France, Spain and into Portugal. The rod from Portugal to Amsterdam in a oner!! (not reccomended) then home.

Good stuff. I will take a look at that. Thats pretty much a route I have got in mind although doing it in a couple of smaller, 4500ish mile chunks

• 2 weeks later...

Well we finally made Marrakech yesterday after riding through some of the worst conditions you can imagine. I think we have had pretty much every season of the year packed into getting down here.

Snow, Ice, Rain, Wind, Freezing fog and if we are really lucky then there is even the odd glimpse of the sun.

I managed to drop the bike yesterday on some loose gravel going round a left hander. A few scraped and need to source a new Indicator and mirror when I get back to Spain.

Still its been good fun getting here and we still have the adventure of getting back. :D

Glad you're in one piece! Sounds like the odds were really stacked up against you with that bloody weather. Kudos to you for doing the trip and glad to hear the damage to the bike is minimal and that you are ok. Keep us updated :D

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made it home in the early hours of this morning.

Welcome back.

I will get a link to some pics up soon.

And a write up?

total respect boys from one old soldier to another great pics enjoyed them very much looks like you had a great time, i wont say welcome to civvie street its not all its cracked up to be would much rather be riding one of these and eating one of these

post-3-1212868488.jpg

mb2800x600.jpg

your faces said it all no need to ask if you enjoyed it!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online