I don't like my YBR very much

ulster exile
This post is 5557 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I know YBR's are known for their gear issues, but this is stressing me out to be honest.

Had my YBR since August, it's an 08 reg but I'm the 3rd owner. It's done 4000 miles (most of those with the first owner who I didn't know) but appears to have been treated well by the second owner (serviced and new rear tyre).

It does the usual thing where it won't go into 1st sometimes without me semi-releasing the clutch, pulling it back in and trying again. I've no real issues with that - it appears to be a known 'characteristic' of the bike.

Main problem was that it started jumping out of 2nd into neutral (mainly when I was trying to make a entrance onto a busy roundabout or the like - you know, when you've got tons of traffic careering towards you :rolleyes: ) then after this it wouldn't go into 2nd without me dropping back to 1st and trying again. As I ride mainly in city traffic, this is a problem which concerned me greatly - I could never rely on the bike when I needed to go! I took it to my nearest Yam delaer (J&S) who had a mechnic look at it, test ride it and was told it was purely rider error - as a girl and a learner, who am I to argue?

They showed hubby how to adjust the gear shift pedal and after a play I no longer have the 1st to second problem. However, I now occasionally have a 2nd to 3rd problem, where it won't go into 2nd unless I change down and back up again. Sometimes it still jumps out of 2nd (or even 3rd) into neutral.

Now I'm still a learner, but I've ridden hubby's bike (baby Varadero) and spent a couple of hours on a ER5 with absolutely no gear problems. i realise they're different bikes, but does that not indicate that it's not my problem? I'm too scared to take it back because I had a pile of fellas looking down their nose and smirking at me when I brought it in last time, or so it felt like.

Is it me, or is it the bike and how do I figure it out?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I know YBR's are known for their gear issues, but this is stressing me out to be honest.

Had my YBR since August, it's an 08 reg but I'm the 3rd owner. It's done 4000 miles (most of those with the first owner who I didn't know) but appears to have been treated well by the second owner (serviced and new rear tyre).

It does the usual thing where it won't go into 1st sometimes without me semi-releasing the clutch, pulling it back in and trying again. I've no real issues with that - it appears to be a known 'characteristic' of the bike.

Main problem was that it started jumping out of 2nd into neutral (mainly when I was trying to make a entrance onto a busy roundabout or the like - you know, when you've got tons of traffic careering towards you :rolleyes: ) then after this it wouldn't go into 2nd without me dropping back to 1st and trying again. As I ride mainly in city traffic, this is a problem which concerned me greatly - I could never rely on the bike when I needed to go! I took it to my nearest Yam delaer (J&S) who had a mechnic look at it, test ride it and was told it was purely rider error - as a girl and a learner, who am I to argue?

They showed hubby how to adjust the gear shift pedal and after a play I no longer have the 1st to second problem. However, I now occasionally have a 2nd to 3rd problem, where it won't go into 2nd unless I change down and back up again. Sometimes it still jumps out of 2nd (or even 3rd) into neutral.

Now I'm still a learner, but I've ridden hubby's bike (baby Varadero) and spent a couple of hours on a ER5 with absolutely no gear problems. i realise they're different bikes, but does that not indicate that it's not my problem? I'm too scared to take it back because I had a pile of fellas looking down their nose and smirking at me when I brought it in last time, or so it felt like.

Is it me, or is it the bike and how do I figure it out?

Hi,

it's not too much of an issue perhaps ..... if the bike drops to nuetral with each gear change 2-3 you could have a selector problem but if the problem is random it's more likely to be one of the following :-

1) this will follow the diagnosis from the test ride, the gear change shaft is 'sticking' to the l/h crankcase cover and not allowing the shift mech to return to its std position (heavier use of the shift pedal would cure this, and a mechanic would tend to be harder on the shift pedal than you may be.

2) A weak spring on the shift mech (p/n 90506-08227-00) this would show up with any test ride .. the bike would jump out of any gear ! with light use but given a good boot may stay in cog... with this one I was caught out the customer would ride it and get a problem I'd ride it no problem ! I was forced to strip a motor for this reason and found this to be problem and cured it!

3) Gear selector forks I very much doubt this is a problem you would have more probs than you have.

I would guess its a bike problem not a rider problem so if you fancy a 30-40 mile ride drop it down & I'll fix it

Regards Jim

Wow Jim, thanks for the reply - detailed as usual and very much appreciated as usual!

Thank you for your very kind offer. Having looked at your website, I see you're about 1.5 hours away by bike since I can't get on the motorway. It's a fair dander on a 125 but do-able with a bit of planning - in all seriousness and without trying to offend you...what would you charge?

Wow Jim, thanks for the reply - detailed as usual and very much appreciated as usual!

Thank you for your very kind offer. Having looked at your website, I see you're about 1.5 hours away by bike since I can't get on the motorway. It's a fair dander on a 125 but do-able with a bit of planning - in all seriousness and without trying to offend you...what would you charge?

Hi,

Can you confirm it's a random fault or does it drop out of gear every time ? and only between 2 & 3 ? As I have very small overheads my labour charges are very low ... example MOT's are 20 as opposed to nearly 30. see pm

Jim, sorry for the delay in my response. Yes, it is a random fault, yes only between 2&3 following the adjustment to the gear selector lever (problem was 1&2 then and occurred a lot more often).

Is the selector lever bent at all? It may be rubbing on the engine casing and not have free return (if you catch my drift). Easily solved by gently prying the lever outwards a few mm.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, well I think I may have to eat humble pie over this one. I've had the bike out twice since I started this post and both rides have been weekend ride outs around the less built up and country-ish areas around Brum instead of my usual commute.

I really haven't had much of an issue at all and am wondering if my use of the bike has an impact on the gears - weather permitting, I use the bike for commuting, but only live about 3-4 miles away from work and it's traffic all the way. I know (now) that short journeys are bad for bikes, but could this be a possible problem? I also feel loads more confident on the bike in general and feel the gears more so it's entirely possible (given that hubby couldn't see anything wrong with gear lever) that the fault is actually all mine :rolleyes:

If I may chime in...

I own a YBR and commute 60 miles a day on it, 4 days a week. The engine and gearbox/clutch share the same oil and some people report that changing the oil sometimes fixes gearing issues. I've personally found that it slips out of gear quite rarely, but a little more so after a few thousand miles when the oil change is due. Also, if you haven't already, check your oil level. A short ride means the engine doesn't get up to temperature so things may be a bit sticky inside. You'd also get various deposits building up from condensation etc. A good 30 mile run will burn all the rubbish out nicely. Also be firm with gear changes. Pull the lever right up with your foot swiftly.

Good luck with it. :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online