V Star 950

Jayhawk
This post is 5325 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone......new to the board here. I just bought my new '09 V Star 950 Tourer yesterday (Yes, my wife actually let me go buy bike on Valentines Day!) and I absolutely love it! I was originally looking at the 1300's, but the new 950 was just really appealing. After riding it, it cememted my decision. Anyone who is unsure, please go ride one. It is a really nice machine. I wouldn't be suprised if this will be a replacement for the 1100. Anyhow, if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to help, but I just got it, so you'll probably know more than me.

This is my first cruiser, coming from owning a Suzuki sport bike, and I couldn't be more pleased.

Hello everyone......new to the board here. I just bought my new '09 V Star 950 Tourer yesterday (Yes, my wife actually let me go buy bike on Valentines Day!) and I absolutely love it! I was originally looking at the 1300's, but the new 950 was just really appealing. After riding it, it cememted my decision. Anyone who is unsure, please go ride one. It is a really nice machine. I wouldn't be suprised if this will be a replacement for the 1100. Anyhow, if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to help, but I just got it, so you'll probably know more than me.

This is my first cruiser, coming from owning a Suzuki sport bike, and I couldn't be more pleased.

Welcome to the board.

I have owned mine for a week now

Only had fekkin chance to ride it nce! British weather is SHITE!!

Saw a 950A on saturday. Nice bike if you want the retro look.

As far as the differences without the obvious power and liquid cooled engine. Its more in the lines and size.

The speedo looks cool following into the lines of the fuel tank. The seating is lower and you are more inside the bike (oh err!).

From what I've read on another forum somewhere you do miss that extra bit of cc which makes a difference in power from mid to top end, apparently. Obviously the top speed is less about 90something.

Thats all I know about 'em, but like pointed out already by the nice folks on here you can buy a 2008 XVS1300A model for roughly the same price.

MIG

• 2 months later...

We bought both a '09 950 Tourer and a '08 1300 Tourer. The bikes are both great in all areas. The 950 was for my wife as she needed the lower seat height, I bought the '08 1300 for less than we paid for the 950 and I love it. We are looking for tourpaks to add to them and then we'll be set.

The 950 and 1300 have the 650 and 1100 beat all around for price, balance, throttle response, etc.

We bought both a '09 950 Tourer and a '08 1300 Tourer. The bikes are both great in all areas. The 950 was for my wife as she needed the lower seat height, I bought the '08 1300 for less than we paid for the 950 and I love it. We are looking for tourpaks to add to them and then we'll be set.

The 950 and 1300 have the 650 and 1100 beat all around for price, balance, throttle response, etc.

That’s a nice combo, my wife currently has a Suzuki Intruder 800, I have the 1300 myself.. She is seriously thinking about trading the Suzuki for the 950... We did a trip from the UK to Netherlands last weekend to a rally where they had a demo 950... it fit her really nicely, just a bit lower and lighter than the 1300, I agree with your comments re 650 and 1100, both fine bikes in there day, but the new stuff is better in just about every area. Only bike I'm seriously tempted by is the Strat.... 1900cc.... nice :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Congrad on your purchase. I am waiting for the warmer weather to come around before I make my purchase. This is Australia, that's why. Like to keep track with how you find the 950. Sat on one the other day but have not driven one yet. Please keep us all in touch with your first impressions.

Congrad on your purchase. I am waiting for the warmer weather to come around before I make my purchase. This is Australia, that's why. Like to keep track with how you find the 950. Sat on one the other day but have not driven one yet. Please keep us all in touch with your first impressions.

Beenout on mine to Wales at the weekend - loved it!

Even in the shitty wind across the M56 motorway and the driving rain....... my baby pushed on and got me home. Little shaky in the wind cos i was 2 up and fully loaded, but even with all that lot on he still managed a great speed!

I ADORE this bike.....its bloody brilliant - and i wouldnt swap it for anything else.

Had mine for about three weeks now and can't fault it. Comfortable, well balanced, enough power (for me anyway).

Love it.

Had mine for about three weeks now and can't fault it. Comfortable, well balanced, enough power (for me anyway).

Love it.

Read somewhere that you can start to feel the vibration through the foot rests at speed. Wonder if anyone of you had that experience.

I had a go at the HD883 some weeks and the vibration especially at idle really put me off.

How do you guys rate the vibration on your 950, if any, compared with the other bikes you have.

Read somewhere that you can start to feel the vibration through the foot rests at speed. Wonder if anyone of you had that experience.

I had a go at the HD883 some weeks and the vibration especially at idle really put me off.

How do you guys rate the vibration on your 950, if any, compared with the other bikes you have.

The footboards on the XVS950 are well insulated with thick rubber pads which deaden any unpleasant vibration. I also owned a HD883 sportster in the past and that did produce a lot more vibration.

There is SOME vibration through the footboards - but its a V Twin - theres BOUND to be some vibration!

When im wearing me New Rocks i hardly feel it - when i got me Para boots on i feel it - but it isnt THAT bad.

Vibration?

Jeezy, I took a 700 Deauville out for a play and even that has vibration.

It's part and parcel of having an internal combustion engine!!

• 2 months later...

Love it.

Me too, I am very happy (its tops out at about 110 I think) have a couple of questions:

First bike ever with a windshield, it is little low. Maybe when the weather goes bad I will get a taller one, does any one know if the shield improves the drag? At certain speeds espcially in a crosswind or in traffic there's a lot of buffeting. I may take the shield off as an experiment...

Does anybody know what the power output peak RPM for the 950m is?

I am thinking about adding a tach.

Geoff

I really liked to XVS950 and was going to buy that bike, but the XVS1300A was the same price & my other half preferred the pillion position on the 1300.

I've got the tall screen on my 1300 - it's brilliant for keeping the wind off you and off the pillion too. It makes a nice change to my XVS125 which when in windy conditions I feel like I'm hanging on for dear life around 50mph.

The only thing I would say about the tall screen is that I got caught in rain the other day and you get large blobs of water building up in your field of vision (though you don't get any on your visor but you can always wipe your visor!!!) - you can't see over the top of the tall screen though it does run off eventually, but if I'd have been driving my car I'd have put my wipers on before this happens.

I noticed some buffeting on the motorway the other day when passing lorries, but can't say I've noticed too much (have only done 450 miles mind). I'm thinking I'll take my screen off in summer on hot days as it's a bit stifling with no air getting to you, but for long distances (motorways etc) I'll definitely stick to my screen...

Going back to what was said earlier in the post, I was originally going to buy the 650 or 1100 Dragstar but after an incident on my 125 Drag when all my rear spokes snapped at 40mph bursting my rear tyre (1 month after my dealer tightened them as they were loose - of course they didn't over tighten them!?!) it put me well off getting any bike with spokes as 10 minutes earlier and it would have happened on a busy A-road at 60mph with oncoming traffic! That's what made me look at the 950/1300 - cast wheels = no spokes snapping and no messing about to clean them. (Still love my 125 Drag though!)

I've got the tall screen on my 1300 - it's brilliant for keeping the wind off you and off the pillion too. It makes a nice change to my XVS125 which when in windy conditions I feel like I'm hanging on for dear life around 50mph.

The only thing I would say about the tall screen is that I got caught in rain the other day and you get large blobs of water building up in your field of vision (though you don't get any on your visor but you can always wipe your visor!!!) - you can't see over the top of the tall screen

I hate to be the barer of bad news but - your screen is illegal.

A motorbike screen is not allowed to come above your eye level (in the uk at least)

A motorbike screen is not allowed to come above your eye level (in the uk at least)

Oh... that doesn't sound good!! It's a genuine Yamaha screen ordered from the dealer at the time I ordered my bike (they fitted it before collection). Wouldn't have thought Yamaha would sell illegal accessories???? I may have to speak to my dealer about this as if it is illegal I'm not happy they sold me it & let me ride off on the bike from their showroom! (am 5'11" so wouldn't class myself as short)

Errmmm....i dont think it is.

Screens are domed to allow rain to run off and direct the air flow around the rider and a tall screen is not illegal.

Bikes such as the Harley Electraglide have MASSIVE screens. And the BMW C1 has a screen that goes right over the rider.

There is NOTHING inthe VCA regs that state how high a screen can be so im afraid your info isn't right.

I am very relieved to hear that..!! :D:D I was starting to get worried - PHEW!

I am very relieved to hear that..!! :D:D I was starting to get worried - PHEW!

My 650 had a screen that came above my eye level - never had a problem at all. I wouldnt worry too much to be honest, there's nowt in the VCA regs and nowt in the SVA regs either - if it was illegal, it would be in there.

As a matter of interest you dont need a front mudguard for an MOT either, but a lot of folk think you do!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online