Painting an Engine

lison766
This post is 5361 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Everyone,

I have a gorgeous 1978 XS1100 that is in need of a little attention on the engine. I'd love to have it powder coated but this would mean stripping the engine. Are there any other alternatives out the to really give it a good makeover?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Everyone,

I have a gorgeous 1978 XS1100 that is in need of a little attention on the engine. I'd love to have it powder coated but this would mean stripping the engine. Are there any other alternatives out the to really give it a good makeover?

PJ! is the best comes in satin or gloss black for engine cases. they are petrol proof when cured!!

• 7 months later...

PJ! is the best comes in satin or gloss black for engine cases. they are petrol proof when cured!!

I just ordered some. Will repost once finished job. Doing engine cases on 1974 RD125A and 1976 RD250C. I'm a bit dubious about the fact they don't need primer. Also their website suggests you use them when temp is in the 20s. I'm lucky if my garage gets warmer tham 15 degrees :huh:

wouldn't painting an air cooled engine cause it to heat up faster and get hotter in general because it acts as an insulator.

I've heard that's true with powder because it goes on thicker, but with paint it shouldn't be a big issue. Just sand the edges of the fins off for a custom look and to expose some aluminum. :D

wouldn't painting an air cooled engine cause it to heat up faster and get hotter in general because it acts as an insulator.

someone should tell Yamaha then, they must have it all wrong :rolleyes:

Its just the outer casings I'm doing (ie the bits that cover the clutch and oill pump on the RHS and timing assembly and final drive sprocket on LHS). The barrels, as you say, will probably need something special. Probably get them done professionally.

Its just the outer casings I'm doing (ie the bits that cover the clutch and oill pump on the RHS and timing assembly and final drive sprocket on LHS). The barrels, as you say, will probably need something special. Probably get them done professionally.

matt/satin black dissapates heat efficiently, go ask the aircooled rd boys in their forum!

matt/satin black dissapates heat efficiently, go ask the aircooled rd boys in their forum!

I did mine at the weekend. PJ1 Satin finish. One can was just enough for 3 coats on the 2 engine cases and their smaller covers (oil pup cover & points cover). It was just below 20 degress in garage when I used it (can says don't use under 21 degrees :o )

It was very simple to use and looks spot on. Only time will tell re durability but it made me think that even if finish only lasted a couple of years would still be cheaper and much less hassle than striping cases to post away for powder coating.

One thin I did notice was that tin says its suitable for use up to 500 degrees so gonna get another can for barrels. I used VHT paint before and there was a lot more involved re curing in oven etc. The PJ1 was very straightforward. :D

I did mine at the weekend. PJ1 Satin finish. One can was just enough for 3 coats on the 2 engine cases and their smaller covers (oil pup cover & points cover). It was just below 20 degress in garage when I used it (can says don't use under 21 degrees :o )

It was very simple to use and looks spot on. Only time will tell re durability but it made me think that even if finish only lasted a couple of years would still be cheaper and much less hassle than striping cases to post away for powder coating.

One thin I did notice was that tin says its suitable for use up to 500 degrees so gonna get another can for barrels. I used VHT paint before and there was a lot more involved re curing in oven etc. The PJ1 was very straightforward. :D

don't forget to cure it in the oven, otherwise it won;t be petrol proof and can chip easy!!

P1040063-1.jpg

i painted my engine in the frame.

I didn't want to make everything a bunch of different colors, so i figured thats the best way to go.

the bottom is a olive drab color and the top is gloss black. and i'm thinking about sanding the edge of the fins for that harley type look.. haven't decided yet tho.

and i was kicking my self in the ass for not painting the exshost things there... i notice them when the pipes where going back on.. and i already wrapped them so i said screw it.

this is my first motorcycle and i got it for cheap so i'm not going to nuts on it.

you like how bent that shifter is? haha it was like that when i bought it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online