1980 xs850

chris c
This post is 4574 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

well i messed up

I was tightening my tensioner just as the book said

took tensioner cover off

turned engine counter clockwise a few times

till the plunger stuck completly in

then tightened the adjuster bolt and lock washer

turned it over and the plunger moved in and out again

i think the chain slipped timing marks do not line up no more under the left cover

also the engine is locked it will not turn no more

you can turn it back a little and then forward to the same point

i think my valves shot down on top of the piston

shouldnt have hurt anything as i turned very easily and did not hunker down on her

just what should i do now

all help is well appreciated thanks alot

christopher

1980 yamaha xs850

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like thats what happened to me too (chain slipped), youre going to have to relieve the tensioner , undo the chain link and re-time as per workshop manual before re tensioning, like drewpy says...hopefully you were turning it over by hand or kickstart lever!

Sounds like thats what happened to me too (chain slipped), youre going to have to relieve the tensioner , undo the chain link and re-time as per workshop manual before re tensioning, like drewpy says...hopefully you were turning it over by hand or kickstart lever!

I was turning it over by hand

thats what ill do then thanks alot

• 2 years later...

I recently bought a 1980 XS850 and it appears that the previous owner had the same problem. He must have used the starter though... bent Exhaust valve in cylinder #2..... unfortunately.