Oily brake disk

spainy
This post is 5543 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

May have found where it's coming from but wanted a second opinion.

Took the caliper off again and punped the brake until the piston came out about half way, I pulled back the rubber surrounding the piston and it was a little wet on the inside.

Knowing that it is the fluid that pushes the piston up, is it normal to be a little wet inside or should it be dry? If so that could explain where it is coming from, especially under pressure travelling at speed I imagine that it could push the fluid out a lot more.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oil in that area can only be from either the forks or the brake cylinders

If it reapears after only 100 yards why not try both of the possibilities seperately ---

The brake oil possibility can be explorred after thorough cleaning by then simply applying full brake pressure repeatedly and vigourously whilst stood still

Brake oil / fuid is often difficult to see (if it's clean) so you could apply some chalk around the suspect area and watch how, and from where , the contamination progresses

Surely you will notice a loss of fluid from the resevoir too ?

If no evidence is produced in these brake system tests then simply pump the forks up and down until you see oil leakage from them

OR stop riding close behind your mate who has no oil rings left in his motor.

May have found where it's coming from but wanted a second opinion.

Took the caliper off again and punped the brake until the piston came out about half way, I pulled back the rubber surrounding the piston and it was a little wet on the inside.

Knowing that it is the fluid that pushes the piston up, is it normal to be a little wet inside or should it be dry? If so that could explain where it is coming from, especially under pressure travelling at speed I imagine that it could push the fluid out a lot more.

should be dry. why this is taking so long when its a serious fault beggars belief. most forum members did tell you to get the the seals sorted!

should be dry. why this is taking so long when its a serious fault beggars belief. most forum members did tell you to get the the seals sorted!

Calm down calm down, I havet taken it to a mechanic to check remember, and he suggested a new caliper, and it's for that reason I'm trying to work it out myself even though I completely have no clue about this stuff.

Calm down calm down, I havet taken it to a mechanic to check remember, and he suggested a new caliper, and it's for that reason I'm trying to work it out myself even though I completely have no clue about this stuff.

just thinking of your safety spainy. I personally wouldn't ride a bike like that and your first post about this was last year!!

just thinking of your safety spainy. I personally wouldn't ride a bike like that and your first post about this was last year!!

No probs Drewpy, I understand.

If you had ever lived in Spain , especially Andalucia, you would understand how difficult it is to get things done. Especially when you only have one mode of transport and to leave it in a garage means that you don't know when it will get looked at or even if they will bother at all. All the while you have no means of transport.

Then when they do look at it you end up with "buy a new caliper" which costs the third of the bike. And to take it to another garage means more waiting around. To gove you an idea, the last bike I had, was in a garage 9 days before they even looked at it and I had to hire a car in the meantime, which isnt funny.

I went back to the garage yesterday to ask him if he could look at it again but no luck, says he already did it twice so tough luck.

No probs Drewpy, I understand.

If you had ever lived in Spain , especially Andalucia, you would understand how difficult it is to get things done. Especially when you only have one mode of transport and to leave it in a garage means that you don't know when it will get looked at or even if they will bother at all. All the while you have no means of transport.

Then when they do look at it you end up with "buy a new caliper" which costs the third of the bike. And to take it to another garage means more waiting around. To gove you an idea, the last bike I had, was in a garage 9 days before they even looked at it and I had to hire a car in the meantime, which isnt funny.

I went back to the garage yesterday to ask him if he could look at it again but no luck, says he already did it twice so tough luck.

'kin ell! get a haynes manual and do it yourself. build up tools as you go. I am self taught so it can be done!!

I have one piece of advice to add here, and that is - Get a new mechanic!

There is only so much we can do over a forum, especially without pictures - But any decent mechanic should be able to think of all the suggestions that have been made here.

I would expect them to take a test ride after they've worked on it too - to make sure it's fixed and adjusted properly.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online