Advice Required

wolfpack101
This post is 5610 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Just need a bit of advice. I have injured myself - not through riding - but have damaged my neck and shoulder and it is highly unlikely that I'll ride again before the new year. :nurse:

My bike is new ( this years model ) and is being kept in a shed with a cover on. My concern is that of it not being run for perhaps 2 months or more dependant on my recovery...what should I be doing? Should it be centre standed, rather than side standed? What about the oil in the engine? Still new to all this and need to ensure that I get into the new year with an operational machine... :crying:

Any advice that you can offer would me much appreciated.

Regards,

Matt.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all,

Just need a bit of advice. I have injured myself - not through riding - but have damaged my neck and shoulder and it is highly unlikely that I'll ride again before the new year. :nurse:

My bike is new ( this years model ) and is being kept in a shed with a cover on. My concern is that of it not being run for perhaps 2 months or more dependant on my recovery...what should I be doing? Should it be centre standed, rather than side standed? What about the oil in the engine? Still new to all this and need to ensure that I get into the new year with an operational machine... :crying:

Any advice that you can offer would me much appreciated.

Regards,

Matt.

First of all make sure you look after that injury PROPERLY.

Ive just completed a neck and spinal module and you wouldnt believe the amount of folk who aggravate their injuries by not doing as they are told by the doctors etc.

My bike has been on the side stand fro morer than 2 months now as i havent had a chance to ride her, and she is normally ok. If you are worried put her on the centre stand, but every couple of days fire her up and let her tick over for a few minutes.

When you are fit enough to ride do a service, change the oil, plugs etc and you should be ok. ;)

First of all make sure you look after that injury PROPERLY.

Ive just completed a neck and spinal module and you wouldnt believe the amount of folk who aggravate their injuries by not doing as they are told by the doctors etc.

When you are fit enough to ride do a service, change the oil, plugs etc and you should be ok. ;)

Thanks for that quick response Goff,

To be honest with you I wasn't sure what I should be doing. I'm always getting in trouble regarding my back... My wife thinks I'm crazy even having a bike because I have a previous spinal injury, including a part re-build of my lower spine. But hey-ho you got to have a hobby!! As regarding the doctors I have been told off by the hospital, told off by my GP... :rolleyes:

As regarding aggravating the injury...well it seems anything I do aggravates it at the moment. If I take any more tablets I'll rattle!!

As regards my bike I think I'll get it on the centre stand and will crack it up every other day.

Thanks again.

Matt

The bike should be fine, nearly all sportsbikes are left through the winter months without problems, just needs a service come the spring, but it may well be due an annual service by then anyway.

Firing it up every week or so will help to keep the battery alive - but if you do, make sure you run it until it's nice and warm, you need to replace that charge you've just used fron the battery and to ensure that any condensation in the exhaust has gone, oh and the Oil is up to temp - especially as it's in a shed, it will be damp and there's unlikely to be any real draught.

A cover is a good idea too, doesn't need to be expensive, or indeed cost anything - most peopel have an old blanket/sheet that they can use.

If you've got a stand, use it, if not just bringing the bike out of the shed when you start it up should be enough to stop 'flat spots', although on a 125 I'm not sure if there is enough weight to cause this.

Have you been given any form of brace/back support of any kind?

Might be worth asking if not.

And maybe think about changing your bike to one that has a riding position thats not gonna nack your back every time you go out?

Shitty option i know, but if it means you can enjoy biking pain-free then its gotta be worth it. ;)

Wolfpack, sorry to hear of your predicament, you dont need to start the bike every other day, its debatable that you even need to start it at all, maybe just get a battery charger remove the battery and top it up every month. If you do want to start it you must run it until its very hot to avoid condensation in your engine and exhaust as Gas up said. If it were mine i'd just shove a rubber washing up glove over the exhaust, and remove and maintain the battery.

EDIT

Give any chrome work, wheels, forks, exhaust & silencer etc etc a good wipe down with WD40, theres nothing worse than to find your pride & joy has rust on it for the sake of 15 minutes work

Have you been given any form of brace/back support of any kind?

Might be worth asking if not.

And maybe think about changing your bike to one that has a riding position thats not gonna nack your back every time you go out?

Shitty option i know, but if it means you can enjoy biking pain-free then its gotta be worth it. ;)

No to the support... I have tore the muscles in the right hand side of my neck, unfortunately my recovery is being hampered by the fact I have no top shoulder muscle right handside - lost in an op when I was a kid. The doctors have said it will just take time and physio...I have looked on e-bay for a new body but to no avail...

The reason I got my YBR was because it was more " cruiser-style", i.e. fairly upright rather than a sports bike. Was thinking that was my best choice when I was buying the bike.

Pain-wise I'm ok. I was issued plenty of medication ( issued in batches of 100's ). :thud: !!

Sorry to hear about your injury, just got over a broken wrist myself so I feel your pain ;) Like Goff said, it might be worth starting her up a few times and letting her run a bit. My honda gets annoyed with me if I don't turn her on every now and again.

Wolfpack, sorry to hear of your predicament, you dont need to start the bike every other day, its debatable that you even need to start it at all, maybe just get a battery charger remove the battery and top it up every month. If you do want to start it you must run it until its very hot to avoid condensation in your engine and exhaust as Gas up said. If it were mine i'd just shove a rubber washing up glove over the exhaust, and remove and maintain the battery.

EDIT

Give any chrome work, wheels, forks, exhaust & silencer etc etc a good wipe down with WD40, theres nothing worse than to find your pride & joy has rust on it for the sake of 15 minutes work

or Vaseline!!

would highly recommend acf50, to cover the bike with, everything but the brake discs,drives any moisture out, good on electrics and bodywork, sorry only the bikes!!ted used on the` ducati i had, came up good as new in the spring!

would highly recommend acf50, to cover the bike with, everything but the brake discs,drives any moisture out, good on electrics and bodywork, sorry only the bikes!!ted used on the` ducati i had, came up good as new in the spring!

don't get the areosol version as it works out more expensive. I bought the pump action with 1 litre of the stuff from stafford last year and have used about half of it (i do use it a lot though!)

one here

Item number: 7579684608

And I thought I had problems!! :lol::lol:

a ) It's female...

b ) It's legless...perhaps like you were when searching?

c ) It's armless....

d ) Pretty much everything.....

Still it's the thought that counts.... You didn't think either did you? :D

Back to the doctors tomorrow. I may take a print of this in...They will find you and help you!!

And I thought I had problems!! :lol::lol:

a ) It's female...

b ) It's legless...perhaps like you were when searching?

c ) It's armless....

d ) Pretty much everything.....

there's others to choose from, i thought you might like a change!!!! ;)