Just a little thought to myself...

wild foamy
This post is 5178 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi everyone.

ive been toying with a little thought for a while now, its quite a crazy idea but i'd like to see how it goes nonetheless...

i'd like to go touring on my little Yammy DT50, which is a completely stupid idea but why not give it a try? its got a nice comfy seat, tough as nails and is cheap to run.

Better to go with a friend, but give yourself plenty of time and it will be good fun. I toured Cornwall from Manchester many years ago when I was 16, on a honda 50. An adventure I never regreted. Good luck.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is something I'd love to have done on my 50, but seeing as i've got my A levels coming up after my 17thw ehn i'm getting a 650 i don't think it'd be possible anymore. it's a real shame but I'm definitely gonna go for it on my 650 :D

And I'm gonna do it a much more interesting way... just a set of panniers and MAYBE a rucksack, in the panniers, a couple of tshirts and clean pants, a bike lock, a pair of wwaterproof trousers, or jeans if i wear my leather trousers to tour in. and then just a tarpaulin a sleeping bag and some paracord :D make a bivouac every night that i can't find somewhere to sleep :D

But it'll be less novel on a 650 i guess.

Good for you, Go for it Kid, I`ve done a lot of touring in the past 30 odd years, when i think back

it always makes me smile, The people all over the world love a biker, Don`t watch the TV, or is it Xbox now?.

Get out there, Have some fun. ( Your old for a long long time).

this biking lark is great, if someone p***es me off i go and shut myself in the garage with the radio on and work on my bike, i dont even own an Xbox anymore and the only times i watch TV or go on the internet is in the evenings.

t'is a very manly thing, getting dirty working on a motorbike... no offence to Goth... or an other of the Womanly bikers...

seems the little DT may have some gearbox issues though, which i want to sort out ASAP as i dont want it to get worse :(

Good on you! Go for it. :D

I went around N Ireland on a Honda MB 5 and thoroughly enjoyed it, I was only 16 at the time and the freedom that I felt was brilliant and has kept me hooked for almost 24 years now.

I always wanted to go south but never made it so now I'm jealous and look forward to reading your blog.

Good luck :D

not fare. how dya get 85mph (or mpg)I've only managed 67 tops unladen down hill on my YBR. Did go on a 212 mile roung trip to the Isle of Bute camping for two nightsand it cost me £8 on petrol!!!!!! Great pics!. Don't matter wot you ride, its all about riding.

jimbo

Just as Drepwy has said, just do it mate, you will have the best holiday ever, go where you please, when you please. I did the WHOLE of Scotland from down here in Lancashire on a YBR125, best holiday I ever had, memories and piccys taken, fantastic, I did 2500 miles (Small change to the 300,000 miles Ive done in the last 3 years on bikes) In the 10 days I had allocated to my trip. Just make sure your bike is ready for it. A tent and other camp stuff, and away you go!!!!

My ybr..a little laden, but still did 85Mph

Sldsumday1-0007HometoLochLomand1.jpg

I loved these 'roads'

Sldday5-0013ContintoPoocanSmoo.jpg

Sldday7-0010ERJOGroats.jpg

The people you will meet on your journey will think your mad, but its those people that will help to make your trip a fun thing to do. Every morning of my trip, I just loaded up and rode away, if I saw a road I liked, Id try it out and see where it went. It was my Birthday while I was up there and this guy off a campsite played happy birthday on his bagpipes to me while his wife sang.

Go for it mate, be great, youll be on here when you get back telling us of your stories.

not fare. how dya get 85mph (or mpg)I've only managed 67 tops unladen down hill on my YBR. Did go on a 212 mile roung trip to the Isle of Bute camping for two nightsand it cost me £8 on petrol!!!!!! Great pics!. Don't matter wot you ride, its all about riding.

jimbo

Dont know how, it wasnt even my bike, it was an insurance machine as the council had reversed over mine the day I was leaving lol. Of course, Ive done a hell of a lot more miles since then all around this island called Great Britain, many pics, many memories.

Heres my ride now...

100_3286.jpg

Live to ride

we are having a scotland trip with a few other members of this forum, if you are gona come get online :rolleyes:

ive got one mate coming with me for deffo, also got a little top-box which my dad gave me (apparently it came off a mobility scooter we had years ago) just need to fit a bracket and bolt it to the luggage rack on the back of the bike.

anyone know if tail packs can be mounted on pillion seats?

i want to go NOW!!!!... :(

I did London to Londonderry and back three times on an RXS100. On my own.

Twice via Stranrear, once via Holyhead.

On L plates, so A roads only.

Sometimes travelled at night, 6V electrics = interesting combination.

GO FOR IT! :blink:

I did London to Londonderry and back three times on an RXS100. On my own.

Twice via Stranrear, once via Holyhead.

On L plates, so A roads only.

Sometimes travelled at night, 6V electrics = interesting combination.

GO FOR IT! :blink:

The Moon must have been brighter!!!

I've only done a few tours the best was the iom, think about your packing, the less you have the less you have to worry about keeping safe while you go off sightseeing.

You will be amazed at how little you really need if you think about it.

I missed out on riding to portugal, and france (family,kids ,morgage etc poor excuses i know) and will always wonder. I'm jealous go for it.

well i am still planning everything out, i have about 6 months to wait and my mate gets his bike mid-january and he seems very interested in going :D.

ive got a little route map planned out, also have planned things like routes back to dublin in emergencies, fuel stops, B&Bs/hotels, Garages/repair shops, places of interest and also timetables for ferries and all sorts of other things e.t.c.

also like the look of the Oxford 1st time luggage set or the Buffalo getaway luggage set, which set is better for touring? (i would personally prefer the buffalo touring tankbag but the set only comes with the sports one... also both are the same price so ywould like to hear your personal opinions.

Oh, and NO brokeback mountain jokes <_<

mapofirelandroutecropped.jpg

oh, and i wont be doing the 4 hour non-stop trip form Newbury to Liverpool to catch a ferry, was thinking of sticking the bikes on a train at Reading and then jumping straight onto the ferry when the train arrives at liverpool

the one thing that is going to be a real cost is accomidation, if we are over there for two weeks paying 40 euros each for accom its going to be near 600 euros (£500).

so instead we have both decided to take small tents and do some "real touring", but if we can find a small local Inn that does cheap nightly rates we may opt for that ;)

we're planning to take 600 euros each in cash and keep a further £500 in our bank accounts so if needs be we can make withdrawals from our debit cards

the one thing that is going to be a real cost is accomidation, if we are over there for two weeks paying 40 euros each for accom its going to be near 600 euros (£500).

so instead we have both decided to take small tents and do some "real touring", but if we can find a small local Inn that does cheap nightly rates we may opt for that ;)

we're planning to take 600 euros each in cash and keep a further £500 in our bank accounts so if needs be we can make withdrawals from our debit cards

Have you looked at youth hostels? ...They even have 240V power sockets ;)

was thinking of doing it in intervals of around 50 miles, spending a day in each little town along the coast before, in total i would be covering about 400 - 500 miles.

i did have a spreadsheet with everything worked out on my computer but i lost it when i went from Linux to Windows XP :(.

the bike itself wont be tricked out much, im fitting some brushguards and probably up the sprockets to keep the revs down and make touring that much more enjoyable, is there anything else i should be considering for this bike? (keep in mind it has 6v electrics, so no heated grips here!)

my local maplin are doing heated gloves that run off AAA betteries for a tenner a pair!

my local maplin are doing heated gloves that run off AAA betteries for a tenner a pair!

ooh sounds good, do they work?, can't imagine you'd get much juice from AAA batteries :S

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online