Not bike related, but possibly of interest

mattkett
This post is 5616 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I know this isn't bike related, but I reckon I can't be the only one that uses a wireless network at work or home and should take notice of this.

Or not. It's your choice.

Basically, this link:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/1106...tory=ts_wpahack

is a news story relating the first serious hack of a wireless network with WPA encrytion enabled.

(Link opens an advert page, click on 'continue to story' at the top right of the screen)

M@

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

OK, don't worry - it's not that bad.

You need to restrict MAC (Media Access Control) addresses on your router, it's very simple but does vary from box to box. Most Routers will have a screen showing the MAC addresses it has learned, clear this out then switch on each of your machines until you are happy you have the right addresses, then restrict access to these adresses.

If you are a little more PC Literate you can open up a DOS dox and type ipconfig /all - you are looking for something like this:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home

Description . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : BT Voyager 1055 Laptop Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-9E-2E-28-2F

It's the physical adddress you are interested in.

At work - then your support team should already have full mitigation in place already (if not then your company is in deep sh..t, as they'll have missed loads of other stuff too....)

Firewalls are a pain in the backside on PC's, if you can invest in a router with an in-built firewall with statefull inspection, and if you really must allow incoming connections make sure you restrict it to known devices.

Now then, back to bikes!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online