YBR125 - Oxford Humpback or little topbox?

ulster exile
This post is 5482 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I've tried using a Spinexx to carry my gear to work (workclothes etc), but it's fiddly to clip on/off and the opening is a bit too small to use easily (anybody want to buy a Spinexx 3-in-1? :rolleyes: ) and I'm tired of riding with a rucksack so I'm looking at 2 other options...

1. I really like the Oxford Humpback mainly because with the tailpack base there's a permanent base on the bike and in theory it should be quicker/easier to attach to the bike. Looking at it in the shop, it looks a decent size and is expandable too. Question is, would it fit the bike? Looks a little bit big, so I'm hoping that a fellow YBR owner uses this luggage to confirm or deny...

2. Alternatively, I could buy el cheapo top box off the fleabay. I was thinking a 26L would be big enough to carry a rucksack, but I'm not so sure. I don't plan on keeping the bike any longer than I need to, to pass my test, so it would only be a short term thing (hopefully) whereas the Oxford Humpback would be transferable to the next bike. I'm also not sure on the weight of these, since the cheapo's off ebay don't always list this information and my owner's manual says that I shouldn't really have more than 6kg on the back.

Any advice gratefully received.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a GIVI (33lt) top case. The max weight that it can carry is only limited by your fear. It says max 6Kg but I have carried many times as much as 3 times that. The case can easily be removed by a buton and by taken with you from its mounting plate.

If you want to put it on another bike you can easily remove the plate (4 bolts) and its like nothing ever hapened (on the old bike).

I say that having a hard top case is better than any tailpack or rucksack cause you have less moving things and vibrations even with the factory's bar end weights.

• 4 months later...

Hi there,

Ive got a YBR125 too, and through my many journeys, I found a shop selling the humpback..

I was impressed, and so bought one for a friend (who owns a honda nsr125).. Tried it on my bike, and a PERFECT fit.. bought myself one the next day!!

The only thing is, the velcro strap should be secured under the seat, and so ull need to remove the seat to attach.. Not much an issue..

Ive got the bungees for it on the grab rails, either side, and the rear ones run behind the number plate.

Ill post up pictures later on tonight if youre still interested.. Theyre useful little bags, as u can use them as a rucksak. They can fit a FULL FACE helmet, when expanded!! but then no space for anything else..

Theyre good quality, and if secured down properly, wouldnt move around and so, but may be a bit wobbly if expanded (doesnt bother me much, as i only expand it when i really need to)

Let me know if you need the pictures posting up. Another useful thing is the tail pack base.. Built in mini-cargo net, and a small pocket (can fit a disk-lock), if you dont need the capacity of a bag, but want to carry a disk lock or something small..

Overall, i would rate it 9/10, its such good quality!!

Never used a top box, i find them too ugly, and bulky.. and im assuming the wieght on the far end on the back would make a difference to the way it handles.. The humpback, i feel, is more versatile. i.e. use it expanded, contracted, or none at all, but u have the mini net and the small pocket!! plus what i do is, park the bike in the shed/garage thingy, and put my gloves, hi vis and my keys straight into it, all ready for the next ride!!

hope this helps :D

If youre in/around london, I could show you sometime

Thanks for the replies both! After posting this, I went hunting for a top box, but then saw a brand new humpback for half price so couldn't resist, knowing how versitile these are.

Thing is, I couldn't figure out how to get my seat off to fix the base on so I just carried on using my spinexx tail pack, which is fairly handy anyway as I can stick my gloves and stuff in the mini cargo net on it, unclip the straps and off I go. I do like the humpback though - hubby has one for his bike and I like the idea of having the base permanently attached with the advantages you have listed.

I'm in the process of selling this bike at the mo so I'm taking both sets of luggage with me and I'll get a topbox for the daily commute and keep the luggage for longer trips (like the NW200 in May!!)

Thing is, I couldn't figure out how to get my seat off to fix the base on

Incase your still interested ;) ;

Im assuming you still have the handbook, in there it has instructions on how to remove the side panels, panels A and B, i think they were called in the book (the panel that has the battery underneath, and the one on the opposite side).. This is fairly straightforward anyway, the left side one needs the key,and the right, a screwdriver..

Once these are removed, theres two bolts, one on either side, that attach the seat onto the bike, open them up, and try not to lose them (like i tend to do! :unsure: ), and voila!! :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online