fzr 1000 3gm not starting

brilox
This post is 5597 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I have a fzr 1000 3gm exup. the bike was standing for about 3 years when I bought it and was not running. I did the following. Changed head and carbs.

the bike has:

compression

spark

gets fuel

airbox of there is definite suction

timing is correct

Valves are shimmed correct.

Headers are warming up

Now the question: the bike does not want to start. What the #@&! is wrong??? PLEASE HELP!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there,

I have a 91 3LG and had the same sort of problem , mine had been standing for nearly five years ! If your carbs are clean and all the jets and settings are correct then it's just trail and error to get it to start ? It took me about 3 week's to get mine to start !! Ignition on wait for fuel pump to stop pumping no choke,no throttle push starter button and as soon as it fires catch it on the throttle and hold it at about 3000 rpm untill it warms up then it's fine.

Up untill i sorted out this starting procedure i had the carbs off and stripped down three or four times, checked all the valve clearence's twice did a compression test on it,checked the coils,cdi unit and the pick up on the motor?

Now I'm not saying that this starting procedure will work for you but it is just trail and error untill you find out what is going to work for you.If you know the previous owner you could ask them how they used to start it and go from there.

Hope this is of help

regards

Bill

^what he said :D

be aware that getting fuel on these bikes does not mean they will go. Too rich and they will not fire. I reckon it may be a case of stripping the cars and putting new emulsion tubes in.

are you aware of www.exup1000.co.uk? apologies if u are

Thanks I will keep trying. Just thought maybe I am forgetting something. Already stripped the carbs and head of I don't know how many times, thats why I bought new carbs and head.

Did not know about the website will give it a look later. Will keep posted if I get it started. I am going to tow the bike as a last resort if I cannot get it started.

Just to give you an update. Had everthing checked by a friend and he agreed the bike must start. Towed the bike for about 10km in 2/3 rd gear. Still not starting.

I have now officially given up. I am going to give the bike in at a bikeshop and see if they can get it sorted.

how much compression are you getting? ideally you wANt around 200 psi with throttle wide open. are plugs getting wet? is spark a good bright blue colour ? is fuel stale? often bikes are hard to start after a few weeks of old fuel.

Last update.

Checked the compression and it seemed a bit low. Took the motor apart and changed all the rings on the pistons. Old ones looked a bit warn. Put the motor back together and pressed the sart button.

And as if he new if he did not start that it would be the landfill as last resting place it started.

Thanks for all the help. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: