Replacement keys

pcorcos
This post is 5553 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

I' ve lost my black key for my 2007 Yamaha FZ6 (and i don't an owners manual. So three things:

1. What's the difference between the red key and the black key?

2. Will a locally cut key work, or does it have to be a Yamaha key from the factory?

3. Where can I get an owners manual for the bike?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1. Usually the red key is to let you know it's the last one. Typically, there will be two black ones and a final red one. It's to remind you to get replacements cut as soon as fecking possible.

2. You need a Yamaha blank, which most decent Auto Locksmiths will stock. They can then cut you a new key (or several) from the red one. Shops are another option, but typically more expensive and there's less chance they'll have the blank in stock. Also, they're less likely to do a good job.

I'll always recommend a proper Auto Lockie.

As a guide, use one of the smaller ads from Yellow Pages, rather than the big pretty companies with large colour adverts - These are more franchise guys and often employ cowboys.

3. Plenty of online links to PDFs. I think you can also download one from Yamaha's official website.

You need to check if your bike has the YISS immobilizer installed.

If so, a cut key will not work, as there is no transponder chip fitted in it, you need to contact Yamaha with the key number, (on the little metal tag if you have it) for replacements.

The red key is to reprogram the YISS, usually only needed after disconnecting the ECU or battery.

If the Yamaha system is anything like the Ducati one, if you loose the red key you will need a new ECU, and a second mortgage to pay for it!

If it does have YISS, HISS or similar then most decent Auto Locksmiths can program a cut blank to correspond with your chip.

The key code will be listed in their software (AD100 KPS and so on) with the relevant data to program new keys.

• 2 months later...

If it does have YISS, HISS or similar then most decent Auto Locksmiths can program a cut blank to correspond with your chip.

The key code will be listed in their software (AD100 KPS and so on) with the relevant data to program new keys.

I know this is rather old topic, but assuming I provide the locksmith with a blank key (with chip) what sort of price should I expect for it to be cut and programmed (I have red key)?

Cheers.

A few quid and a few minutes of your time.

Certainly a lot less than Timpsons or anyone else, including official dealers.

I might be way off here, but looking through the workshop manuals and the Owners book, it looks to me that the new key is to be registered to the ECU/YISS. For this you need the red key, the new key and the dealers knowledge.

It's got me thinking, I'm down at the dealers this week, I'll have a chat

If that is the case, you only need the red key and the new key. Any Auto Lockie worth his salt should be able to do it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online