My first bike (YAMAHA 125 Dragstar) (2004)

dragstar_125
This post is 5614 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa, This takes me back!

My first bike was also a 125 'star, I think it may well have been a 2004 too...

now hear this tale of woe... I bought it second-hand (private) with only 288 miles on the clock (not even run in!) and a years warranty still valid (Thank f@#k!)

At £2250 I was sure I had a bargain, and didn't ask too many questions (mistake)

got it past it's first service, and around 1900ish miles (dun dun derr...) Loss of power and a clunking noise.

So I take it back to the original dealership (lucky also my local one) and after a couple of days they tell me that the crankshaft is broken!

It took a couple of weeks for them to get the parts and fix it (it ran fine ever since).

BUT! The garage let slip that this happened to them once before, which is weird as they don't sell many 125 dragstars...

Turns out that the reason the bike only had 288 miles on the clock was that - The person I bought it of had the same problem with their FIRST draggie, which the dealership swapped for a brand new one (which I ended up with).

So it seems that a batch of 2004 UK 125 Dragstars had dodgy crankshafts.

Hope this has been informative!

I had no problems after that, and enjoyed the dragstar so much I moved up to the 650 after my test.

Top-speed (if i recall) was in the region of 75mph (downhill with a tail-wind!!!)

I made a habit of filling up every 100miles (about a fivers worth!)

Keep an eye on your mileometer and get to know how much fuel you use before you need to switch to REServe (if you suddenly start getting more - you may have left the tank on RES!)

Accidentally leaving it on reserve won't do any damage, but it means when you realize you're out of fuel - your stranded!

If the engine coughs and splutters and you don't switch to reserve before it conks out That is when you need to turn it to PRI for a minute (primes the engine when it has "died" because of fuel starvation) start it then switch to RES.

Although the temptation is (on any 125) to thrash the bollocks off it, to get every last mph - this bike is at its best taking it easy (that's why its called a cruiser - duh!)

I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed mine! - also see if their is any VSOC meetings in your area, lovely bunch of Yamaha cruiser riders!

p.s. I use mostly back break and engine breaking, you'll find a balance that suits you with time (and after a few close calls probably...)

All the best, Cov_AL

I also use mainly rear braking although I realise that this is NOT the approved way. I ended up doing this mainly because my bike always used to cut out when I rolled off the throttle to use the front brake, so I learnt to rear brake and keep some throttle on, gear-shifting down. The bike doesn't cut out any more but I guess I'm in the habit now.

Mine's a 2004 model, tho with 17k on the clock I reckon a dodgy crank would have made itself felt by now - I hope!

The only problem I have is the fuel tap keeps breaking. It doesn't seem to make any difference if it's on ON or RES - it runs till it's dry regardless. Other than that, it's been OK.

Taskmaster, :hail: saw this and thought of you :P

The only problem I have is the fuel tap keeps breaking. It doesn't seem to make any difference if it's on ON or RES - it runs till it's dry regardless.

Could be a couple of things, both fixable with a new fuel tap which should be quite cheap and very easy to replace (less than 20mins)

lets see -

disconnect negative battery terminal!

drain fuel

disconnect hoses from tap (note which ones go where!)

remove seats

undo tank restraint bolt(s?)

turn tank upside down, undo tap with phillips-head screwdriver

put the new tap on and follow above steps in reverse. easy eh?

The torque settings for the bolts you will need to undo aren't too critical, just give them a good pinch up (not too hard)

I ended up doing this mainly because my bike always used to cut out when I rolled off the throttle to use the front brake, so I learnt to rear brake and keep some throttle on, gear-shifting down.

Hmm....... Carb issues?

Icing? Too much air? Manifolds perished?

Either way, do learn to use the Front Brake or risk much badness. There's several very good reasons they have discs on the front!!

Whoa, This takes me back!

My first bike was also a 125 'star, I think it may well have been a 2004 too...

now hear this tale of woe... I bought it second-hand (private) with only 288 miles on the clock (not even run in!) and a years warranty still valid (Thank f@#k!)

At £2250 I was sure I had a bargain, and didn't ask too many questions (mistake)

got it past it's first service, and around 1900ish miles (dun dun derr...) Loss of power and a clunking noise.

So I take it back to the original dealership (lucky also my local one) and after a couple of days they tell me that the crankshaft is broken!

It took a couple of weeks for them to get the parts and fix it (it ran fine ever since).

BUT! The garage let slip that this happened to them once before, which is weird as they don't sell many 125 dragstars...

Turns out that the reason the bike only had 288 miles on the clock was that - The person I bought it of had the same problem with their FIRST draggie, which the dealership swapped for a brand new one (which I ended up with).

So it seems that a batch of 2004 UK 125 Dragstars had dodgy crankshafts.

Hope this has been informative!

I had no problems after that, and enjoyed the dragstar so much I moved up to the 650 after my test.

Top-speed (if i recall) was in the region of 75mph (downhill with a tail-wind!!!)

I made a habit of filling up every 100miles (about a fivers worth!)

Keep an eye on your mileometer and get to know how much fuel you use before you need to switch to REServe (if you suddenly start getting more - you may have left the tank on RES!)

Accidentally leaving it on reserve won't do any damage, but it means when you realize you're out of fuel - your stranded!

If the engine coughs and splutters and you don't switch to reserve before it conks out That is when you need to turn it to PRI for a minute (primes the engine when it has "died" because of fuel starvation) start it then switch to RES.

Although the temptation is (on any 125) to thrash the bollocks off it, to get every last mph - this bike is at its best taking it easy (that's why its called a cruiser - duh!)

I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed mine! - also see if their is any VSOC meetings in your area, lovely bunch of Yamaha cruiser riders!

p.s. I use mostly back break and engine breaking, you'll find a balance that suits you with time (and after a few close calls probably...)

All the best, Cov_AL

Excellent advice there matey....well luckily i had a years warranty on my drag' so they are replacing the entire crankshaft free of charge!!!!! thank god! so it should run like a dream when i get her back???

Cant wait to get it back ...its been over a week!!! its going to be nearly two weeks before i get it back

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online