Petrol on/off switch

Morgy
This post is 2534 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ive got a bike with a on/off/reserve fuel switch. Im a newbie and was wondering if it is supposed to be in the off position when not in use (couple of hours while at gym and overnight). Does it matter if i leave it in the on position?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What kind of bike is it?

On my Varadero (before I saw the light and purchased a Tenere) I never turned the fuel tap off - ever!, I had an old KLE500 that I never turned the fuel off. Neither of them gave me any bother at all

But My TT600RE is a nightmare to start if I leave it for more than a day without turning the fuel tap off....... I have no idea why!

ive got a bike with a on/off/reserve fuel switch. Im a newbie and was wondering if it is supposed to be in the off position when not in use (couple of hours while at gym and overnight). Does it matter if i leave it in the on position?

You should get in the habit of switching the tap off when bike isnt in use, all taps were like this before manufacturers saw the light, it only takes a leaking float needle in your carb(s) with the the tap ON to potentially have petrol running into your engine, this petrol can seep down past the piston(s) into the crank case or sit on top of a well sealed piston, either way it could be very interesting when you press that starter button!!!

The reason for the taps originally was for the Gravity Fed fuel system... If you leave it open in some cases it can flood.

Might as well turn it off if you know your not going to use it for a few hours... But, don't forget to turn it back on!

You should get in the habit of switching the tap off when bike isnt in use, all taps were like this before manufacturers saw the light, it only takes a leaking float needle in your carb(s) with the the tap ON to potentially have petrol running into your engine, this petrol can seep down past the piston(s) into the crank case or sit on top of a well sealed piston, either way it could be very interesting when you press that starter button!!!

yep happened to me...I came back to my bike and some nice person had turned the fuel off and put sand under my bike(the grit stuff for the roads). : ) Just started it with the throttle open....and I still had enough fuel to get home :)

The reason for the taps originally was for the Gravity Fed fuel system... If you leave it open in some cases it can flood.

Might as well turn it off if you know your not going to use it for a few hours... But, don't forget to turn it back on!

I did just that when i finished in gym. The battery nearly went flat before i realised i'd left the switch in the off position

I did just that when i finished in gym. The battery nearly went flat before i realised i'd left the switch in the off position

Make sure if you forget, to then allow for the starter to cool down or u'll burn it out.

I usually get half way down the road, then she would just die... Silly mistake but is a pain in the arse when you do it.

But My TT600RE is a nightmare to start if I leave it for more than a day without turning the fuel tap off....... I have no idea why!

I reckon it's because all the fuel downstream of the tap evaporates off.

No worries - just turn the tap on before the ignition and the fuel pump kicking into life ought to sort it.

My bike is never in the predicament of never in use :lol: , so the tap stays on!!!!

Dont you sleep then? or does it tick over in the lounge all night? :D

Anyway, yours is a vacuum tap so doesnt count

Oh, I go riding all the time, even in my sleep...or is it i am asleep sometimes when I should be riding? Whichever it is, yeah mines vac, so Its fine..even with the old log burner going 10 feet away.... :blink:

Personally I'd only turn it off when doing work on the bike - but fair weather wussies should probably turn it to off for the winter...

I turn mine off when I have one that is visible. The R6 tap is only accessible by lifting the tank. I have idiot lites for reserve

• 1 month later...

Hello my friend.... Sure you can get into the habit of turning off your Petcock but on most motorcycles they have vacuum cutoff, so its not necessary to always turn off the Petcock, if your having problems with fuel starvation, first check fuel filter and the check the vacuum hose from the Petcock to the Carb or Manifold.. I can tell you for sure this vacuum valve can give you all sorts of problems from moisture in the fuel or weather damage to the rubber hose...

What kind of bike is it?

On my Varadero (before I saw the light and purchased a Tenere) I never turned the fuel tap off - ever!, I had an old KLE500 that I never turned the fuel off. Neither of them gave me any bother at all

• 8 years later...

Is there some alteration that i can do so i can turn the petrol off,, Virago 250cc 1996,, some kind of valve in the petrol line , seen on/off/  switch, but do need a Reserve aswell, any1 ever altered the fuel set-up, would it mean disconnecting the pump, etc

This is a 2008 post Jenny, try starting a new thread instead, you might have more luck.

• drewpy locked this topic
This post is 2534 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.