YBR125 Bloody gearbox

Morgy
This post is 5474 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Im having problems with my bike and need a little advice.

1. sometimes when in neutral the gear shift won't go into first unless i roll the bike forwards.

2. sometimes when i take off and then change to second it goes into neutral (even with a good flick of my foot)

3. when i try to start the bike (with neutral light on)it won't, unless i turn the back wheel a little

Does anyone know what the problem may be and what to do to fix it, cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1. sometimes when in neutral the gear shift won't go into first unless i roll the bike forwards.

2. sometimes when i take off and then change to second it goes into neutral (even with a good flick of my foot)

3. when i try to start the bike (with neutral light on)it won't, unless i turn the back wheel a little

1. This always happens to me. At the risk of being beeped at the lights I leave it in first and hold the clutch in at lights.

2. This happens but rarely. I have had this issue on my ybr the same number of times as it jumping out of 2nd into netural. How many miles has your bike done?

3. not sure about this one, does it turn over and not start or not turn over at all?

1. This always happens to me. At the risk of being beeped at the lights I leave it in first and hold the clutch in at lights.

2. This happens but rarely. I have had this issue on my ybr the same number of times as it jumping out of 2nd into netural. How many miles has your bike done?

3. not sure about this one, does it turn over and not start or not turn over at all?

My bikes done close to 8000 miles (05 plate) and it does turn over but won't start unless i move the back wheel. I initally thought it was the starter motor so tried the kick start, still no joy. I then thought it might be the spark plug but it looks fine and clean.

My bikes done close to 8000 miles (05 plate) and it does turn over but won't start unless i move the back wheel. I initally thought it was the starter motor so tried the kick start, still no joy. I then thought it might be the spark plug but it looks fine and clean.

that is a very wierd problem. I would definantely take it to a dealer. Could it be that when your moving the back wheel you are nudging the spark plug cable completing a bad connection?

What does your neutral light do whil all this is going on? is it ON when the bike wont start? or does it come on when you move the wheel?

that is a very wierd problem. I would definantely take it to a dealer. Could it be that when your moving the back wheel you are nudging the spark plug cable completing a bad connection?

im standing the other side when i turn the wheel

• 4 months later...

My ybr125 is doing something similiar.Mine goes into neatral instead of first then when I stop and come to set off again I can't get into first.It has happened at traffic lights afew times which is rally frustrating.My bike has to be knocked off,turned back on in neatral,electric starts ok then will slide into first to set off,a process which leaves people behind you annoyed because the lights have gone red again the time it takes to do thi.Why does this happen?have you found out? : :angry:

My ybr125 is doing something similiar.Mine goes into neatral instead of first then when I stop and come to set off again I can't get into first.It has happened at traffic lights afew times which is rally frustrating.My bike has to be knocked off,turned back on in neatral,electric starts ok then will slide into first to set off,a process which leaves people behind you annoyed because the lights have gone red again the time it takes to do thi.Why does this happen?have you found out? : :angry:

I find that pulling the clutch in and out a couple of times allows it to go into first in that kind of situation.

maybe a dragging clutch, make sure its all adjusted correctly and the drive chain is at the correct tension.

I've had exactly the same troubles as well, but now seems resolved (touches wood). Getting it into 1st from neutral is common but easily resolved by releasing the clutch til you feel it bite (even though the neutral light is on), bringing it in and sticking it into 1st. Works every time and there is a definite clunk as it goes into 1st.

The jumping from 2nd into neutral problem isn't really an isue any more - could be the adjusting of the gear lever (can't remember if it was adjusted up or down) or that I'm very positive (read firm!) with gear changes now. Either way, problem sorted mostly ;)

I've had exactly the same troubles as well, but now seems resolved (touches wood). Getting it into 1st from neutral is common but easily resolved by releasing the clutch til you feel it bite (even though the neutral light is on), bringing it in and sticking it into 1st. Works every time and there is a definite clunk as it goes into 1st.

The jumping from 2nd into neutral problem isn't really an isue any more - could be the adjusting of the gear lever (can't remember if it was adjusted up or down) or that I'm very positive (read firm!) with gear changes now. Either way, problem sorted mostly ;)

Thanks I will try all suggested.cheers babe.

Good luck with it. If I wasn't clear about the gear lever, I meant the gear selector - it can be adjusted up or down and must be fairly easy to do as hubby did it in no time flat with no real mechanical knowledge - took us a couple of attempts to get it right as the first way he adjusted it, I couldn't get out of first (boy where there tears then!)

• 3 weeks later...