why do you own a yam?

liquidcooled
This post is 5972 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey Amanda....what with your father's Bonneville leaking oil, and your Suzuki burning oil, you guys must be keeping Castrol in business just by yourselves!  :lol:

Nah, my little SV doesn't use a drop and my bandit was good too :lol: :neener As for my dads bike though, his ancient triumph never needs an oil change he pours that much through it :lol::lol: Don't know about his new one though - will have to let you know :wink:

Amanda

• 2 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D Why?

Because they are designed & built with something other than profit in mind!

Honda are designed by computers, built by robots and as bland as tap water.

Suzuki are very capable but fall apart at the first sign of a British winter.

Kawasaki have only recently began making mental sports bikes and as such are the only other make I'd consider owning.

As for the Italians, designed with passion but sadly made from soft cheese and wouldn't survive a British summer.

Triumph are good, but not focussed enough for me.

In my opinion Yamaha are some of the finest bikes to ride & own, combining precision engineering with excitement and good build quality. As stated in a highly reputable British bike mag "The 2004 R1 is one of the most highly developed sports bikes of modern times".

Buy one & enjoy!

Thought I may as well chip in my ten pence worth....

Prior to my current bike, a '94 FZR600R Foxeye only other bike I actually owned was a Honda MT50 when i was 16 so I cant really comment on bikes Ive ridden and which makes I prefer etc.

So I guess you could say when I passed my test 5 weeks ago the FZR was the right priced bike at the right time however one thing attracted me to it other than the price being right and that was that from my point of view it is a very rare bike. I understand it was only made for 3 years after the original FZR and before the Thundercat but I have NEVER seen another one like mine on the road.

I go up on a hill with a cafe with friends and see loads of CBR's, ZX7R's and the like but nothing like mine ever turns up and THAT is what drew me to mine.

Plus I have to the R6 and R1 and simply legendary bikes.......however ive never ridden either....anyone fancy letting a rider with 5 weeks experience take one for a blast??????????

Thought not lol :wink:

Cos anyone who can come up with the RD range has got to be worth sticking with and they haven't failed me yet! :lol:

The first reason was they were the closest dealer i knew of, but having been in suzuki and honda dealers, the yam dealer was much more friendly, and more reasonably priced.

Cos anyone who can come up with the RD range has got to be worth sticking with and they haven't failed me yet! :lol:

8) 8) 8)

This is my first ever Yamaha. I got this one, because the XT660R is in a class of ONE. No other manufacturer makes anything quite like it. The perfect DO ANYTHING and EVERYTHING machine.

If I go even farther down the trail bike route and start to want more off road ability, the Yamaha TT600 competes with a Honda, a Suzuki and KTMs. Then I would make a decision based on quality, performance and my ownership experience.

So far Yamaha are doing well at turning me into a Yamaha fan.

Just because, outta the Big 4 Jap Manufacturer's......Yamaha's build quality is holding steady when the other 3 seem to be falling apart @ the seams as of late :roll:

always been a fan of yamahas had a suzuki gsxr250 for my first bike then bought my thundercat and never looked back take it to the track and the drags and never had to fork out large amounts of money on it next step up will be an r1 when i can afford and now that rossi rides one and is winning in the gp makes me want to get an r1 even more.

always been a fan of yamahas had a  suzuki gsxr250 for my first bike then bought my thundercat and never looked back take it to the track and the drags and never had to fork out large amounts of money on it next step up will be an r1 when i can afford and now that rossi rides one and is winning in the gp makes me want to get an r1 even more.

sorry douw, but Rossi doesnt ride an R1 :wink: that would be the superbike boys :wink:

• 1 month later...

My first bike was a Yamaha. An old DT175, actually a DT125 someone added a larger piston and barrel to make it a 175. I rode, crashed and trashed that thing like crazy. It handled like crap in the dirt, and things would routinely vibrate loose and fall off of it, but I had a fantastic time on that first bike. It got me pointed in the right Yamaha direction. Later, a neighbor bought a 1977 RD400, and frankly there wasn't another streetbike on the planet then that I wanted more than the RD. I'd watch him ride up and down the street with my mouth open. 25 years later I got my 76 RD400. What a blast from the past, I love that ring de ding thing.

After the DT175 I raced motocross as a kid, beginning on a Suzuki RM80. My closest friend then had a Honda CR125, and I would often kick his ass on the little 80. The CR had a bad CDI, it would run for about 40 minutes and then bye-bye ignition, had to wait an hour or so for it to cool down before he could ride it again. Kinda gave me a dim view of Hondas, I know they're much better now, but I will probably never own a Honda. So back to Yamaha's, like they say, when you want the best..... 8)

I recently bought an RZ500, advertised in "very good condition", but an outright lie. The motor had a mild seizure, and I'm currently restoring it. I plan to have it running by spring 2005.

• 4 weeks later...

An RD400C was my first bike, followed by a few Lc's and one YPVS. The only one that let me downwas the power valve, went through several CDI's.

Still have the 400 which I recently finished restoring. My other bike is a Laverda 750S. Why ? Because it is different and handles well, and the sound of that twin ! I am looking to replace this as it isn't the type of bike you want to thrahs on a track every second weekend. Rode the R6 and loved it, but down here in South Africa every 2nd bike is an R6. Also for 500 pounds less I could get a GSXR 750. Tough decision.

My first (and still primary) bike is a '00 Suzuki Katana 600. I've ridden it pretty hard for 5 seasons now (still going deep into a Toronto November - I chuckle when I hear folks complain about a British winter :)), have almost 60,000 kms on it and never a problem. I'm not gonna come on a Yam site and be a Suzuki advocate, but I get a bit tired of the bashing from that one dude who's so fixated on the oil burners. It's a great bike and I intend to hold on to it for a long time.

I recently acquired an '86 FZ600 which is in really rough shape. The intent is to have it as a dedicated track bike (no racing yet, just club track days). I got it for 3 reasons:

1) I had a hard-on for one of these when I was in HS in the 80's.

2) They're still regarded as a light, nimble, good-handling bike.

3) It was sitting derelict right outside my window when I moved into my new place. :)

For the record, I also have a '75 Honda CB550 which is to be a project/show bike.

EVERY manufacturer makes good bikes and not-so-good bikes. EVERY manufacturer makes some interesting bikes and some boring ones.

:)

Take it easy,

I'm not gonna come on a Yam site and be a Suzuki advocate, but I get a bit tired of the bashing from that one dude who's so fixated on the oil burners.  

OK...I won't mention them then.

But what about DL1000 clutch baskets, TL1000S speed weaves, Hayabusa cracking subframes, and the stealing of all of MZ's two stroke technology in the 60's?

Oh and here's Suzuki's UK recall list too:

GSX-R600X ENGINE MAY SEIZE AND CAUSE REAR WHEEL TO LOCK

GSX600 FW POSSIBLE FAILURE OF GRAB RAIL

GSXR750T FUEL TANK LEAK

TL 1000SV FUEL TANK LEAK

GSX-R750W ENGINE LOSE POWER AND STALL DUE TO FUEL STARVATION

GSX750 FW FAILURE OF GRAB RAIL

GSXR750V FUEL TANK LEAK

TL 1000SW FUEL TANK LEAK

GSX-R750X ENGINE MAY SEIZE AND CAUSE REAR WHEEL TO LOCK

GSX750W ENGINE LOSE POWER AND STALL DUE TO FUEL STARVATION

LT50 (Roadrunner) POSSIBLE INSECURITY OF REAR AXLE

UF50Y Estilete FUEL TANK SPLITTING

GSX1300RX REAR WHEEL MAY LOCK UP

GSXR600V FUEL TANK LEAK

TL 1000RW ENGINE LOSE POWER AND STALL DUE TO FUEL STARVATION

UH125 LOSS OF REAR BRAKE PADS

Have fun! 8)

are you a big fan of yamaha's and wouldnt buy anything else, was your bike all that was available, or do you simply not care what brand of bike it is just wanted the particular model? interested to see how many hardcore yamaha fans we have here

Apparently...

Honda's are for gay people

Kawasaki's go well but blow up a lot

Suzuki, plastic never fits 100% but good raod engines

BMW - see Honda's but for over weight tourers

Aprillia - See Kawasaki - handle well though

Ducati - can't afford one and the weld quality is a bit naff :shock: check it out next time u are by a Ducati !!!!

So, apart from the clutches being made of chocolate, I like Yams....

J

Dunno why really. Possibly because my cousin suggested I get a Yam as my first bike, so I got a TZR125. For the money I had, the TZR was the best looking/going bike. Next was a TZR250 2MA, then another one, mostly because I was familiar with the way this motor worked from pottering with my 125. Next up, and currently, are a Yam SZR660 and a DT125R. SZR because it's different from most other bikes and the DT because I always wanted a 'scrambler' when I was a kid. I can now live out those Graham Noyce fantasies... It seems that both Yam and Suzuki make bikes that people want (see YZF750, R6, R1, TZRs, RDs, RGVs, GSX-Rs), whereas Honda (and Kawasaki until recently) have been making bikes they think people should be riding (see linked brakes on Hondas and Kawasaki's bland styling/non-development)

Mick.

I know I have only been back on the road for 12 months and I know I don't have a bike like you lot out there, but after only paying £200 for a G reg 535 putting 2 new tyres on it and an mot and tax and doing over 7000 miles in just over 6 months trouble free till the reg rec went but is up and running again I think I will be sticking to Yams but go up a few cc

Doesn't matter what bike you ride DL....in fact a lot of the people with the best bikes are sad wankers trying to "belong".

It's what you feel about bikes that matters.

You get more respect from Oldschool for riding your type of bike than if you'd just got yourself the latest colour coordinated race rep bullshit! 8)