500 XS Carb Boots?

77500Xs
This post is 5669 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

77 500 xs: tried siliconing the intake mani's with no such luck. The bike idles great and has awesome throttle response when cold (no backfiring too) but as soon as she warms up I'll get the infamous high-idle and awfull low-end throttle response; also starts popping. I do have cracked and dry-rotted intake mani's. Will 650 Mikuni BS38 carb boots off of Mikesxs.com fit my Mikuni BS34's? I do believe mine are 38mm (not sure) diameter openings. If they will not does anyone else know of a reference or site I could get some new ones from? Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

77 500 xs: tried siliconing the intake mani's with no such luck. The bike idles great and has awesome throttle response when cold (no backfiring too) but as soon as she warms up I'll get the infamous high-idle and awfull low-end throttle response; also starts popping. I do have cracked and dry-rotted intake mani's. Will 650 Mikuni BS38 carb boots off of Mikesxs.com fit my Mikuni BS34's? I do believe mine are 38mm (not sure) diameter openings. If they will not does anyone else know of a reference or site I could get some new ones from? Thanks.

Sound like you might have a clogged pilot circuit.. It's often mistaken for a vac leak..

Have you tried cleaning the carbs? Pilot jets are under the brass screw in caps next to the main jets.

That passage leads to the pilot screws and then to 3 tiny holes on the roof of the throttle bore on either side of the throttle blade.

clean em all out really well.

Sometimes the pilot jets are stuck and you have to easy-out em and replace.