chain cleaning

biglis
This post is 5630 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

How often should you clean your chain. Got a ybr thats a year old and the chain still looks well oiled.I spray chain lube on it after heavy rain but should i be taking the old clogged up oil off with a chain cleaner, applying new oil and lube to keep the chain in good nick or just wait till it really needs it and can see the first inkling of rust?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I tend to do mine every time I wash the bike - every two weeks/500 miles or so. I use a chain cleaner and a toothbrush to get the cr*p off and a hose to rinse it all away. I dry the chain with paper towel and finally apply a good squirt of synthetic chain lube. I also apply a squirt of lube toward the end of the first week (250 miles) just to keep the chain and sprockets lubed. Result 3000 miles without the need for any adjustment whatsoever.

All of the above is good advice.

I clean my chain with WD40 and spray with chain wax- http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-760-castrol-ch...ax-aerosol.aspx

cos i can liberate from work for nothing.

When I used to commute, I sprayed my chain every time it got wet.

yep again all good stuff, best to spray it on when your not going out on the bike, cos half of it will end up on your wheel:)

i tend to wipe the old lube off with petrol on a rag once a month and lube once a week after riding while the chain is hot with rock oil chain lube no fling off adjust the chain once a year :D

i just lube mine with old engine oil after every ride but its a trail bike so that waxy stuff gunks up badly off road.

HEY THANKS FOR ALL THE CHAIN CLEANING ADVICE :)

Parafin or Kerosene is the best to clean a chain with imho. WD40 is actualy bad for chains on high performance bikes as it attacks the seals and damages the 'o' rings in the long term.

Actually the damaging the o-rings has been disproven, but I'm not sure I would personally trust it for lube. I can guarantee that they would not advertize that it is good for chain cleaning if there was any chance of it causing damage, large corporations are just two careful in today's litigious (sp) society.

I use chain cleaner, then apply wax every couple of weeks, with a bit of a spray in between if needs be.

I cannot believe people use WD40 on their chains! Its bad for them and should be avoided. It breaks down the rubber (assuming your chain is an O/X ring) over time, and will shorten the life of your chain drastically.

Its mainly a function, so to G-Man, you are ruining your chain if you only use WD-40. You will not have to do it every couple of rides if you use a proper lubricant. WD-40 is not viscous enough, and will be providing very little lubrication if any at all.

Buy some chain cleaner, or use petrol/kerosene on a rag and a toothbrush. I always use Wax as it does not fling off at all, and prevents the chain looking bunged up etc.

wd40 drives out moisture but moisture is what you want so it makes sense its a cr@p lube for your chain.

• 2 weeks later...