SRX 250 Experience

RavenHawk
This post is 2623 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Anyone here have any experience with the SRX 250?

I bought a very beat up '87 but, unfortunately, there seem to have been very very few of these imported to the USA.

I'm having a ton of trouble finding any decent parts (meaning I'm looking at auction sites and finding equally beat up ones), a battery, and absolutely ZERO luck finding tires.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Anyone know of any useful interchangeability with other Yamahas?

General advice?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I bought a very beat up '87 but, unfortunately, there seem to have been very very few of these imported to the USA.

I'm having a ton of trouble finding any decent parts (meaning I'm looking at auction sites and finding equally beat up ones), a battery, and absolutely ZERO luck finding tires.

General advice?

Thanks.

I have an SRX- with the tires you can go with Cheng Shen-they have a matched set that fits the SRX. The front is a bit larger (18 rather than 16), but still fits beneath the fender(its tight!). As far as parts, try boats.net- they have been able to aquire anything I need as NOS.

Its a fun bike- small but different. Very, very easy handling, tempting to take all corners nearly horizontal!

I have an SRX- with the tires you can go with Cheng Shen-they have a matched set that fits the SRX. The front is a bit larger (18 rather than 16), but still fits beneath the fender(its tight!). As far as parts, try boats.net- they have been able to aquire anything I need as NOS.

Its a fun bike- small but different. Very, very easy handling, tempting to take all corners nearly horizontal!

That's what I'm hoping for. Can't wait to get her fixed up and on the road.

Need to rebuild the carb, then get my hands on some tires and a battery.

Thanks for the recommendations. You really didn't have any trouble with the larger front tire?

Any suggestions on where to order the Cheng Shen tires? I'll google it.

That's what I'm hoping for. Can't wait to get her fixed up and on the road.

Need to rebuild the carb, then get my hands on some tires and a battery.

Thanks for the recommendations. You really didn't have any trouble with the larger front tire?

Any suggestions on where to order the Cheng Shen tires? I'll google it.

No troubles with the front tire at all. The bike had the stock tires on it when I purchased it. 21 year old tires- I only rode the bike to the shop(slowly) to have them changed, so I cannot comment on any difference in road feel/handling changes. It is still comfortable and very easy to ride. Cheng Shen are fairly common tires, nearly any dealer could order them for you- I found this bike in BFE and the local moto store was able to order and have them in within 2 days. The battery is a 12v, so a replacement should not be too difficult to find. Do you have the bottom cowling? That is about the only piece on my bike that could use replacement(or anyone reading have suggestions for fixing cracked plastic body parts?) Good luck- post some pictures/updates if possible! I will try to put some photos of mine up soon.

No troubles with the front tire at all. The bike had the stock tires on it when I purchased it. 21 year old tires- I only rode the bike to the shop(slowly) to have them changed, so I cannot comment on any difference in road feel/handling changes. It is still comfortable and very easy to ride. Cheng Shen are fairly common tires, nearly any dealer could order them for you- I found this bike in BFE and the local moto store was able to order and have them in within 2 days. The battery is a 12v, so a replacement should not be too difficult to find. Do you have the bottom cowling? That is about the only piece on my bike that could use replacement(or anyone reading have suggestions for fixing cracked plastic body parts?) Good luck- post some pictures/updates if possible! I will try to put some photos of mine up soon.

No, I'm missing the bottom cowling too.

The front fairing has a piece broken off.

The rear cowling has a crack in it, but I think I'm going to fix it, then repaint everything.

My front fender has about half of it broken off too.

Airtech is the only place I've found that makes any new fairings/cowlings, but it's all racing stuff.

No, I'm missing the bottom cowling too.

The front fairing has a piece broken off.

The rear cowling has a crack in it, but I think I'm going to fix it, then repaint everything.

My front fender has about half of it broken off too.

Airtech is the only place I've found that makes any new fairings/cowlings, but it's all racing stuff.

Well again, try boats.net for the parts- though be ready to see some interesting $$$ amounts. Also, I have seen parts on ebay from time to time. Overall I luckily found a nice bike, with with only minor flaws. I have that bottom cowling, but it is cracked on one side- I might attempt repair and then a paint touch up down the crack line. I would prefer to have it done professionally(the bike is truely nice) but the estimates so far have been too expensive, in my opinion. Are you good at plactic working? :D

Well again, try boats.net for the parts- though be ready to see some interesting $$$ amounts. Also, I have seen parts on ebay from time to time. Overall I luckily found a nice bike, with with only minor flaws. I have that bottom cowling, but it is cracked on one side- I might attempt repair and then a paint touch up down the crack line. I would prefer to have it done professionally(the bike is truely nice) but the estimates so far have been too expensive, in my opinion. Are you good at plactic working? :D

Not at all. This is definitely a learn-as-I-go kind of project for me, but I'm trying to do my homework on it as best as I can.

I found an exhaust, carburator (the one I need to rebuild) and shifter lever on eBay, which I got for reasonably cheap, but they're all in pretty rough shape.

How much did you spend on your SRX, if you don't mind me asking? Mileage?

Not at all. This is definitely a learn-as-I-go kind of project for me, but I'm trying to do my homework on it as best as I can.

I found an exhaust, carburator (the one I need to rebuild) and shifter lever on eBay, which I got for reasonably cheap, but they're all in pretty rough shape.

How much did you spend on your SRX, if you don't mind me asking? Mileage?

I bought it at a good price. About 5700 miles on the odometer at time of purchase. Had some minor issues, but with a little time, some TLC, and a few $ it is in very good shape. The Yamaha tech who installed the tires wanted to buy it!

I cannot insert a photo for some reason, the button does not work.

There it is in purchase form as my avatar. I do not have any of the "after" pictures where I am located right now.

I bought it at a good price. About 5700 miles on the odometer at time of purchase. Had some minor issues, but with a little time, some TLC, and a few $ it is in very good shape. The Yamaha tech who installed the tires wanted to buy it!

I cannot insert a photo for some reason, the button does not work.

There it is in purchase form as my avatar. I do not have any of the "after" pictures where I am located right now.

The Yamaha tech I went to to ask if they had batteries for it in stock had never even heard of it... LOL

I explained to him that it was Yamaha's answer to the Ninja 250 back in '87, only single cylinder.

Pics of mine are in the gallery, here:

http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12099

There are directions there on how to upload pics too. I like to think I'm a smart guy, but didn't realize you had to put the pics elsewhere (tinypic.com) and then link them here.

My pics are of the day I brought it home. I've since taken about half the stuff off, taken some new pics, though haven't uploaded them yet.

Can't get the gas cap to open on it, and I took out the bolts and it's still stuck.

The Yamaha tech I went to to ask if they had batteries for it in stock had never even heard of it... LOL

I explained to him that it was Yamaha's answer to the Ninja 250 back in '87, only single cylinder.

Pics of mine are in the gallery, here:

http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12099

There are directions there on how to upload pics too. I like to think I'm a smart guy, but didn't realize you had to put the pics elsewhere (tinypic.com) and then link them here.

My pics are of the day I brought it home. I've since taken about half the stuff off, taken some new pics, though haven't uploaded them yet.

Can't get the gas cap to open on it, and I took out the bolts and it's still stuck.

Looks like the bike is in pretty good aesthetic condition. How much did you pay? How many miles are on your bike? Your engine is not running?

I am very happy with mine. After replacing a carb boot, purchasing the front marker lights which were curiously missing, and reupholstering the seat I have a keeper! A fun bike, you will enjoy the finished product. It has an interesting powerband and gets about 70MPG.

Looks like the bike is in pretty good aesthetic condition. How much did you pay? How many miles are on your bike? Your engine is not running?

I am very happy with mine. After replacing a carb boot, purchasing the front marker lights which were curiously missing, and reupholstering the seat I have a keeper! A fun bike, you will enjoy the finished product. It has an interesting powerband and gets about 70MPG.

It has 3000 miles on it.

I paid $470.

Another $250 for a used carb which I need to rebuild and the exhaust system.

Another $30 for the shifter pedal.

another $10 for a new grip.

So, we're at $780 so fair, and I still need a new battery, some new tires, a handful of nuts and bolts... need to fix the gas tank so it opens, and pound out a dent in it... and need to figure out what I want to do about the fairings.

I'm thinking of giving it a nice paint job. I like simple classy looks. I'm thinking I keep the frame the red that it is now, and paint the gas tank and fairings black, with a small red racing stripe going down the center to match the frame and rims.

Depending on what size your wheels are (look similar to what's on RD's)........Bridgestone BT45's might fit........good tires & will probably perform better than the Chicken Skins (Cheng Shin) :D

As far as exhausts go.....

Check out brands like:

Supertrapp....(known for Single cylinder systems)

Vance & Hines

A battery can probably be had from Cycle Gear :unsure:

& For the record.....MotoGrid is a great resource for OEM parts or just referencing, as the exploded views come in real handy.

They've had just about everything I've needed for my XT.....waiting for some goodies from 'em as I type. ;)

Depending on what size your wheels are (look similar to what's on RD's)........Bridgestone BT45's might fit........good tires & will probably perform better than the Chicken Skins (Cheng Shin) :D

As far as exhausts go.....

Check out brands like:

Supertrapp....(known for Single cylinder systems)

Vance & Hines

A battery can probably be had from Cycle Gear :unsure:

& For the record.....MotoGrid is a great resource for OEM parts or just referencing, as the exploded views come in real handy.

They've had just about everything I've needed for my XT.....waiting for some goodies from 'em as I type. ;)

Good info. Thanks. I think I emailed Vance & Hines, but they said they didn't have anything that fits. I might be mixing them up with someone else. White Bros. used to make one, and I emailed whoever it was that bought White Bros.

Good info. Thanks. I think I emailed Vance & Hines, but they said they didn't have anything that fits. I might be mixing them up with someone else. White Bros. used to make one, and I emailed whoever it was that bought White Bros.

Oh, the spec tires are 90/90-16 front and 100/90-18 rear.

• 1 year later...

General advice?

Thanks.

Wow sorry to resurrect such an old post! Since it's been almost 2 years since inquiring about parts...do you still have the SRX250? I just bought one that needs some parts (new front tire being one of them) but I've had really awesome luck finding everything I need so far...have the stars aligned or is it too good to be true? I found a tire at cheapcycleparts.com (Dunlop 90-90/16 48s Bs) - think it's any good? Anyone have any thoughts? Also if anyone needs to know where to find parts for their old '87 SRX250's let me know!

Wow sorry to resurrect such an old post! Since it's been almost 2 years since inquiring about parts...do you still have the SRX250? I just bought one that needs some parts (new front tire being one of them) but I've had really awesome luck finding everything I need so far...have the stars aligned or is it too good to be true? I found a tire at cheapcycleparts.com (Dunlop 90-90/16 48s Bs) - think it's any good? Anyone have any thoughts? Also if anyone needs to know where to find parts for their old '87 SRX250's let me know!

Yep, actually I do. Despite it being two years, I've had minimal time to actually work on it. We (my son and I) took it out of the garage this past weekend and are trying to get really started on it. Definitely need new carb boots... maybe just a new carburetor, but they're pretty expensive.

Need new handlebars/clip on... took thegas tank off and it's clear I can't pound out the dent, but may just putty over it and paint over everything, though I need to figure out how to clean out the tank and get a newcover for it.

• 6 years later...

Hi to all .Just signed up as a new member . Just found your post RavenHawk on your purchase of the SRX. Not long purchased a 1985 SRX 250 myself , but it definitely needs a rebuild in every way.Just curious if you still have yours ?.

Gary

This post started in 2008 and the last message was in 2010, your chance of a reply are pretty small. Try saying hello in the new members section, then ask about anyone else who might have a SRX.

Ravenhawk  hasn't been on the site since 2010 so guess he's either moved on to other things or just fed up and walked away.

Hi Slice.Thanks for the reply. Was aware that this post is super old , but these little bikes are so rare and not much info is out there so i'd thought to try and make contact with RavenHawk. Off Topic, Just finished reading your post about your dad, very interesting story. That would have blown your mind, it's the last thing you would expected to see on TV.

• drewpy locked this topic
This post is 2623 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.