MT-03 - Not popular?

ulster exile
This post is 5526 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Perhaps, but I can't see myself really needing all that much power. I want a bike to be nippy round town and in traffic and capable of getting me up to the speed limit comfortably on a motorway.

Hi UE,

I'm a 5'4'' female, ride a few different bikes but having read through this thread I think you will love the MT03. I nearly bought one as a daily commuter (6 mile from country into town, park at station) and for nipping around town at weekends. For town work, twisties, urban and rural A and B roads, its the dog's danglies. Nimble, fairly light, very manoeverable (certainly out U-eys an R6 :lol: ) and as you say an upright riding position, best for your wrists.

The only thing having read the last bit you wrote above is comfort on motorways .... not it's strong point. You will feel the full force of the wind on your chest, it's a totally naked bike so will be a colder, nore exposed ride than a faired bike. It's also a single, and a bit underpowered, I'm not talking about being able to do 150mph, but with top speed around 90mph, it's not the bike for motorway work. If you're just concerned about maintaining nat speed limit for 20 mile stretch of dual carriageway, then it would be fine, but not the best long haul work.

Now for the best bit .... you should be able to pick up a nearly new second hand one with a few extra goodies on, pretty cheap. :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi UE,

I'm a 5'4'' female, ride a few different bikes but having read through this thread I think you will love the MT03. I nearly bought one as a daily commuter (6 mile from country into town, park at station) and for nipping around town at weekends. For town work, twisties, urban and rural A and B roads, its the dog's danglies. Nimble, fairly light, very manoeverable (certainly out U-eys an R6 :lol: ) and as you say an upright riding position, best for your wrists.

The only thing having read the last bit you wrote above is comfort on motorways .... not it's strong point. You will feel the full force of the wind on your chest, it's a totally naked bike so will be a colder, nore exposed ride than a faired bike. It's also a single, and a bit underpowered, I'm not talking about being able to do 150mph, but with top speed around 90mph, it's not the bike for motorway work. If you're just concerned about maintaining nat speed limit for 20 mile stretch of dual carriageway, then it would be fine, but not the best long haul work.

Now for the best bit .... you should be able to pick up a nearly new second hand one with a few extra goodies on, pretty cheap. :)

All more reasons why I wish this bike was available in the USA.

Excellant review slippery and thank you for taking the time to write all of that! You're right, the bike has what I want. Little bit disapointed with what you've got to say about the motorway - although 95% of my riding is likely to be in traffic, I'm sure there will be a few longer trips on the cards (say 150 miles) occasionally depending on how often the oh feels he *has* to see his family lol. We'll have to have a think about that.

Thank you very much :D

I rode an MT-03 back in 2006 while there was one on demo at a local dealer. Plenty of torque to keep you out of trouble and the power delivery is not too ferocious which makes it brilliant for newcomers to big bikes. Being a single cylinder engine, the power range is fairly limited and I was nearly spat over the front when the rev limiter stepped in. Top speed I saw on the clock was 139km/h.

The seating position is far more upright than a sportsbike and if you're not after monster speed then this is a pretty good bike to consider.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your opinion Willenium, much appreciated :D

I'm loving this thread, not just for the great opinions people are giving me but also for that gorgeous pic posted by oldgitonabike!

Cheers all :)

Ive had my mt03 since passing my test in March and having stopped loving it yet. great bike, absolutly perfect for town riding, A/B roadsare just made for this bike. great to razz through the gears and when you have you are still within "sensible speeds"

i have to agree with the others on the motorway riding, it can do it but it isnt fun,

mines been spot on since day 1 and if youre still after a bike to do what you have said earlier in the year then the MT is well worth it.

Happy christmas

ps youre right about that pic, its a bobby dazzler.

Hi ya,

I have an '07' Orange MT-03 single seat,I've done 9400miles on her....not my first bike by any means but it's got something others just dont seem to have anymore and that's FUN.

We have our own club MTOC where you can get lots of help redarding mt-01 and mt-03.

you mite be unlucky and get a 'friday built bike' as those Italians can be a bit slack on quality control I've had my oil tank replaced twice paint flakes off as soon as you get the bike!! A massive oil leak occured after first service 600miles.

And the magnelli tacho gets condensation in it making it hard to see what speed your doing.... replaced that once already,need another one soon.

The tyres you get on it are crap in the wet (pirelli scorpions)sliding every which way can be scarry!!,change'em to BT-021 much better trye,dont know what the Michelins are like they are also on the bike sometimes.

I would recommend an mt-03 whether or not to a newbie I'm not sure it can be a lively little thing even to me sometimes as a found out spilling it (someone pulled out on me) doing only 27mph..rear peg goes into engine case,r/h footpeg bent,R/h & L/h Rad sheild smashed,scratched tank,handle bar bent brake lever broken.

Total cost of this spill £1100.00, not to mention the damage to me!! get all the crash bungs you can!!

As for the handle bars you mite find the vibes coming from them abit uncomfortable and you need to have big'ish hands to reach the clutch/brake lever,you can put shorter bars on 'Rizoma' with new levers are a good worthwhile upgarde costing only in the £230mark.

I'm not trying to put you off cause it's a great bike,but as you are short you mite save urself from dropping it if you get a shorting kit.

Just dont pay full price I think you could get 1 a new for £4500.00,

if you shop about and bargain hard, I payed £4650.00 o.t.r, plus I got carbon monoseat £145.00,fly screen £99.00(a must for the look) carbon rad shields £140.00 for free.

Or their are some nice secondhand ones around for about £3200.00 mark.

All in all these are things most riders put up on any bike,my Ducati was worst for paint coming off engine/frame.

MT-03's great for town and A-roads,small bits on m/ways and cheap to run being a single,fill up the 15 litre tank and you should get well over 130 miles,the reserve light comes on at around the 80-90miles and then you have at least 40 miles if you ride sensibly which can be hard sometimes!!

Insurance around £500 mark.

Get the new one for '09' yellow&black tank,black swingarm and forks A Lovely looking bike!! any questions??

MT-03bob. if you go down the MT-03 route... 'Welcome to the torque-sport revolution'!!

I've been wanting to find one (and an MT-01 too), but looks like the MT-03 is Europe only, and the MT-01 is Europe and Canada only (I'm in the USA).

I'll send you one over the pond for a small fee if you want a Mt-03 or MT-01?

03 better too send in a crate weighs less he he!! plus you get the vat back!!

my friend has it, he loves it

it has tonnes of torque, is also a wheelie machine.

my friend was doign stopies on it and wheelies within a week of buying it.

only down side to it is that has got alot of electrics, a alarm etc, so not a bad thing. I would strongly recomend one, they can be very loud with a arrow exaust on them!

maybe not the most pillion friendly bike in the world, but it doesnt stop me going on the back! and riding it

insurance is pretty good aswell, and it looks proper good.

here is a pic i took one night

DSC00103.jpg

get your friend to rub some autosol on his exhaust pipes letting them go rusty tut tut!!

I'll send you one over the pond for a small fee if you want a Mt-03 or MT-01?

03 better too send in a crate weighs less he he!! plus you get the vat back!!

Lol

Don't tease me!

Another excellant review, thanks!

I joined the MTOC forum a few months ago and have been reading up on this some more (and drooling some more). Although the MT03 has been top of my list (especially after the NEC show), the poor performance on the motorways concerns me. OH informs me that he plans for us to do some longer trips to get away from the city so I'd need something with was happier on a motorway.

No2 on the realistic list was an ER6-N (unrealistic list had the 2009 FS650 for just how comfortable it felt), but looks like I may even have to consider the ER6-F for the fairing, but it just doesn't fit in with what floats my boat (as you'd imagine since I love the looks of the MT-03 *sigh* )

If you can get last months Ride magazine you'll see a page that a lady rider wrote about her first trip on her new MT-03 with her boyfriend on his bike,she knew nothing of where they were going, drove 200miles to Dover and ended up in the French Alps,not bad for a first trip.

This bike will travel fine on a motorway at the legal speeds,you dont need to get hung up on size of engine,top end power cause when you get on the twistys It's you who'll be at the top having a cuppa waiting for those oversized sluggish bikes to catch up!!That's the problem with some poeple here in the U.K. it's all about engine size and power,why??

you'll be grinning and thanking God you deceided to buy an MT-03!! Also you can put all your luggage on your husbands bike and say it's cos it keeps the look of the bike.Only joking bike looks ok with topbox tank bag and cargo nets.

Go for it if you love it what's the worst that can happen?

could be done I'm sending one mt-03 to B.W.I (500miles off coast of maimi) or you could get one in brazil they sell em there. :lol:

Any idea what the price would be like for you to get one and send it here? What else is involved?

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same conundrum, first big bike after 15 year break so was a little nervous. Did my research and just loved the looks of the MT03 as well as the weight and handling.

Put my neck on the line a bought one after a days refresher course and I absolutely love it.

Not many around so it is a real head turner.

I am not a speed freak so the top speed is not a problem, the only drawback for me is the small tank so not a long range if you are looking to tour but for a commuter and first bike it has been ideal.

Even look forward to going to work!!

• 1 month later...

I had the same conundrum, first big bike after 15 year break so was a little nervous. Did my research and just loved the looks of the MT03 as well as the weight and handling.

Put my neck on the line a bought one after a days refresher course and I absolutely love it.

Not many around so it is a real head turner.

I am not a speed freak so the top speed is not a problem, the only drawback for me is the small tank so not a long range if you are looking to tour but for a commuter and first bike it has been ideal.

Even look forward to going to work!!

totally agree with you there kennyB at least we mite save points on our license. ps what colour you got?

Cheers for the input Kennyb - didn't see this although I couldn't find the thread when I was looking for it a few days ago.

Anyways, still interested in this bike, but my main reservations about it remain - I probably will be going on motorway/dual carriageways and an=m wondering more and more about lack of a fairing.

Plus, 2nd hand price of these seems to be high in comparison to the cheaper alternatives - admittedly I'm comparing apples with oranges, but at the end of the day all I'm after is a good "first big bike".

PS if the weather hadn't been so poo, I may have been having a happier discussion about this - missed one day's DAS training and my test thanks to it, so I was hoping to be posting from a "woo-hoo, passed my test, which big bike" kind of view point :rolleyes:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online