wot is the best yamaha of all time

forest
This post is 4392 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Surely the XS650 has to be in there as it was Yamahas first real large capacity bike and without it they may remained a bit player compared to the other jap makers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO DOUBT! B) ....

Haga_LS_2000.jpg

Myself, I'm rather partial to these B) ......

Rainey_Replica.jpg

that bike if fuckin sexi ! shit me

i want one

2 stoke? YAY

Ok. The case for my bike...For many years the best mass produced small trail bike ;)

If ever there was a case of the right bike at the right time it was the Yamaha DT175MX. In 1978, everyone had a baby Yam in their garage because they were dirt cheap and the greatest biking bargain ever. They were also idiot proof and maintenance consisted of adding petrol and oil. Best of all, the DT was all things to all men. Learners passed their test on them (Yes you could ride up to 250cc then). Road riders commuted on DTs, and enduro riders thrashed them like thoroughbred race bikes.

The early twin shock DTs were desperately ordinary bikes and sales were not impressive. But after Yamaha had pioneered long travel, monoshock rear suspension after taking Belgian Lucien Tilkien’s novel idea to production things were set to change. The system revolutionised motocross and Yamaha won the 1973 250cc World Motocross championship with the first monoshock racer. It was about to have the same impact on trail bikes. It was one of, if not the first bike for the masses to have this monoshock suspension, and mine although thirty years old this year, still has the original damper fitted.

The DT’s reed-valved motor, and six-speed gearbox were also lifted from motocross technology. In 1978, Yamaha put all their racing expertise into a trail bike package - and then added everything needed to make the machine fully road legal. The bike was revolutionary and re-wrote the standards for dual purpose motorcycles.

Newcomers to motorcycling just loved the DT. It could be started hot or cold with one half-hearted prod of the kick-start and all the controls were feather light and utterly non-threatening. The 173cc engine needed a good handful of revs to make any power and beginners found this very comforting.

Best of all, everything worked on the bike. The gearbox was so sweet that the clutch never needed touching for upward changes, by standards of the time the drum brakes were powerful and waterproof, and the lights actually had some (Edit...Slim) chance of showing you the way.

But there was another side to the bike too. It had astonishing performance when ridden hard and was capable of taking unimaginable abuse without complaint. Almost as soon as it was launched, DTs began appearing in serious enduros. Many an expert, riding a thoroughbred enduro machine, was humbled by a youngster hurtling past on his DT with the throttle nailed to the stop. In fact, the DT was so good that a number of motocross racers had their first taste of competition aboard this incredible little trail bike.

that bike if fuckin sexi ! shit me

i want one

2 stoke? YAY

Spondon framed RD500 done as a Rainey replica ShoKz. ;)

Very High Drool factor! :yeah:

Being a former DT owner ('73 125 w/electric start) :huh: , I've got a hard time arguing with that OldGit. ;)

i"l second that yamhead. but according to O.Git am desperatly Ordinary[ :lol: twinshocker] i wud be a hypocrit if i said otherwise [ the old DT400 HAS ARRIVED IN ABERDEEN from georgia ] 7 months . its took. i think i cuda swam over atlantic quicker :lol:

can not believe nobodys mentioned the yzf750r!....kin awesome bike.even now it will stay with the big guns even on the track.

to start the ball rolling my favourite yammy is the fj 1200. totaly reliable very quick. mines 16 years old but still goes like the clappers and no signs of slowing up. built to last. hopeing to hear from all you bike nuts out their. with your nominations. for wot you believe to be the best yammy. new or old

For me it has to be the 2007 FZ1abs and like your FJ is faultless I would like a beger fairing and screen that said it to is a flyer with 150+hp and one need to use the 12k rmp unless wheelies are requied. navi :)

to start the ball rolling my favourite yammy is the fj 1200. totaly reliable very quick. mines 16 years old but still goes like the clappers and no signs of slowing up. built to last. hopeing to hear from all you bike nuts out their. with your nominations. for wot you believe to be the best yammy. new or old

For me it has to be the 2007 FZ1abs and like your FJ is faultless I would like a beger fairing and screen that said it to is a flyer with 150+hp and one need to use the 12k rmp unless wheelies are requied. navi :)

If its not Ballistic then its Boring.

My favorite is the 85 VMax that I still own (owned and sold several other years, but the 85 stays!), the most scary Yamaha I've owned is an 02 R1....with a front brake lever that failed on me at speed!

My best performing Yamaha mx bike has been the 99 YZ250. I've owned several others since then, but I had the best results racing that one/that year.

I have the 09 VMax coming in, and am a bit excited for that!

anyone got a RD500?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online