1982 xs 400

neal
This post is 5661 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My nuetral and oil light stays on with the switch off. Plus the starter will not turn over. I can only crank it with the kick strart. It will even start with the switch off tha t way. Do I have a short and where would I look first.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Take the headlight off, to reveal all your wires.

check every single wire anyway for shorting or loose connections, and make sure the right colours are connected, (example, Blue wire with red stripe connected to a solid Blue wire)

Then Lift up your seat check all your connections clean all connections if poss, bit of graphite paper does the trick/wire brush.

and make sure all earths have good conenctions.

Start with this :)

My nuetral and oil light stays on with the switch off. Plus the starter will not turn over. I can only crank it with the kick strart. It will even start with the switch off tha t way. Do I have a short and where would I look first.

which switch turned off ? main or kill ?

regards Jim

Both switches turned off for the lights to stay on. It will crank with main switch off. The kill switch will kill the engine like it is designed to do. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Both switches turned off for the lights to stay on. It will crank with main switch off. The kill switch will kill the engine like it is designed to do. Thanks for any help you can give me.

how good r u at electrics ? I can give you a walk thro on testing but I would need you to know basic principles

Regards Jim

Good, I use to be a electrian. I work maint. at a hospitol or for one more night any way. I have been there for 5 yrs. on graveyard five nights a week. It was time for a change and enjoy life a little. I took a full time slot at an Ambulance Service that I have been work partime over the past year as an EMT-B .

Ok, I know it is somewhere between my Nuetral switch and alternator. I have isolated down to that portion of the sytem. But I made a mistake I cut the end off my alternator lead now I don't know which white wire goes to which white wire. I knew better. I was taking a short cut an secued up.

Ok, I know it is somewhere between my Nuetral switch and alternator. I have isolated down to that portion of the sytem. But I made a mistake I cut the end off my alternator lead now I don't know which white wire goes to which white wire. I knew better. I was taking a short cut an secued up.

How did you trace it to there ? I hope it was a bit more tech than just unplugging the genny and the lights went out. with regard to the 3 whites it doesnt matter

regards jim

Yes and no to the unpluging till the light went out. I omhed the main switch out to make sure it did not have a short it was good. so even with the light unpluged it was still drawing amps. so I started unpluging every thing one at a time until it quite drawing amps. the old bike bike had so much grease behind the cove that could not tell what was what. I have come to the conclusion that the nuetral switch has short in it when it is the neutral position. But after reading that out loud that does not makes sense. why isn't my main switch cutting the power off? What else could keep the the circuit closed. I guess I realey did solve anything but cleaned up some grease. My guess would to be finish omhing out all the relays. Thanks for all your help.

Oh, I thought that the whites did not matter but I just wanted to make sure.

Yes and no to the unpluging till the light went out. I omhed the main switch out to make sure it did not have a short it was good. so even with the light unpluged it was still drawing amps. so I started unpluging every thing one at a time until it quite drawing amps. the old bike bike had so much grease behind the cove that could not tell what was what. I have come to the conclusion that the nuetral switch has short in it when it is the neutral position. But after reading that out loud that does not makes sense. why isn't my main switch cutting the power off? What else could keep the the circuit closed. I guess I realey did solve anything but cleaned up some grease. My guess would to be finish omhing out all the relays. Thanks for all your help.

You have a 'back feed' or faulty earth you need to start again do you still want the walk thro or ru ok to work it out ?

regards Jim

I'll take th walk thru. It has been along time since I have had to troubleshoot anything. I could figure it out but I would like to finish it. And I never like to to turn away a willing hand with lots know how like you. Agian thanks for the help.

nuetral switch has short in it when it is the neutral position. But after reading that out loud that does not makes sense. why isn't my main switch cutting the power off? What else could keep the the circuit closed. I guess I realey did solve anything but cleaned up some grease. My guess would to be finish omhing out all the relays. Thanks for all your help.

What relays have you got to test ? ok US modal has the annoying bit that you cannot switch the lights off (maybe a relay there) but whats left ? nowt ! if the neutral switch shorted you would not have the problem unless the US modal has a side stand switch ? to test the n/l switch disconnect the sky blue wire off the other plug from the engine (may appear nearly green with age) and see what happens ... or disconnect the starter switch (from memory royal blue wire & red with a white trace in a D plug). Ok seen new post I'll do the walk thro !!!

regards Jim

Ok, Jim I will check that out. I will let you know what I find. If I don't get it today it will be another week before I can get to it. I've got to go out of town. I can tell you realy know a lot about this bikes.

Ok, Jim I will check that out. I will let you know what I find. If I don't get it today it will be another week before I can get to it. I've got to go out of town. I can tell you realy know a lot about this bikes.

It was my job !! I left the M/c industry in '89 which was not my doing ! my parents had a Yamaha shop & paid for me to be trained to a good standard but as I had health problems they sold it (no one to leave it too)now I'm an old git & fixed health wise I would like to help people with problems from machines I grew up with !!!!

Regards Jim

I'll PM the walk thro if thats ok

Ok, I set up my PM. Butif is ok with you we can wait until next week. I had to work last nite and I have to keep my kids this afternoon. while my goes to work. I think I going to try and get a little sleep in. By brain has had enough for one day. Thanks for the help. If I happen to work on it later I'll let you know what I find. I'll let you know when I get back into town. I'm pretty sure I am going to need the help. Once this is fixed I can finish painting it and puttin it back together. I am going to have to upgrade my membership so I can post pics.

Ok, I set up my PM. Butif is ok with you we can wait until next week. I had to work last nite and I have to keep my kids this afternoon. while my goes to work. I think I going to try and get a little sleep in. By brain has had enough for one day. Thanks for the help. If I happen to work on it later I'll let you know what I find. I'll let you know when I get back into town. I'm pretty sure I am going to need the help. Once this is fixed I can finish painting it and puttin it back together. I am going to have to upgrade my membership so I can post pics.

no probs !!

Regards Jim

The neutral switch should have a short when it neutral IIRC. That's how it turns on the light, by providing a ground for the light when in neutral.

I'll take th walk thru. It has been along time since I have had to troubleshoot anything. I could figure it out but I would like to finish it. And I never like to to turn away a willing hand with lots know how like you. Agian thanks for the help.

You know, it could be the rectifier or regulator causing the problem.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online