Stopping...Taking Off..??

77500Xs
This post is 5667 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Is there anything I can do to improve my balance when stopping and taking off? It always seems as though I need to go back and fourth when slowing down and taking off to keep secure balance on the bike. I was using one foot to balance but now am starting to use both feet when coming into a stop for better balance. I guess I am asking what most people are using for the best combination of braking and balancing when stoping and taking off. I have been riding for a couple months now and am trying to refine the smoothness in this process; it's a lot harder then what most non-bikers think! I have a 77 500 xs with vertical controls. Thanks guys.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Some advice....

1/. Take it easy.

Bikes can "Take Off", but they are not supposed to be ridden like a jet fighter.

2/. Relax.

Add a bit of throttle, s-l-o-w-l-y ease out the clutch and find the biting point.

Now...

It'll be a few millimeters difference, but every time before moving off try and feel the biting point.

Spend a few moments on your front drive or wherever you ride off from, just keeping the throttle at a few extra revs and gently easing the clutch into and then back out of the biting point.

If you're doing this right, the bike will ease forward just a couple inches and then roll back again when you pull the clutch in.

This may seem like meditation-talk, so I apologise.

What you're doing is teaching your muscles to subconsciously know where the biting point is.

Once you've done this for a bit, you can pull away without even thinking about it.

And yes, I was sat like a twat doing this myself until I got it down pat!!

It works.

2a/. So, having put some revs up and got the clitch to biting point, add a few more revs and pull away gently. Get your feet up on the pegs as soon as is reasonable, so you can be more balanced.

3/. Stopping.....

Do all the things you were taught for teh test, down-shift, brakes more down-shifting etc.

As you come to the last few yards of stopping distance, swap to the back brake (being gentle and braking progressively, of course).

This will allow you to extend your left foot and keep it just above the ground, ready to put down as the bike stops.

This has two other benefits.

1 - It gives the vehicle behind another visual clue that you are actually stopping, as your brake light says.

2 - When you press the rear brake pedal, your weight shifts ever so slightly to the right side. It's more noticable on a Cruiser. Putting your left foot out a touch evens up the balance.

And for the finale - When you come to a complete stop, the left foot tips the bike back towards the left and down onto your waiting foot. Hey presto - a cool, balanced, controlled stop.

4/. Braking Normally - Assuming dry roads.

Front brake first, applying a little pressure then gradually more as neccesary until you are almost stopped. Consider a bit of back brake once you are going very slow.

The key to braking is to make it progressive. Don't jam them on like you might with a car.

Bit of pressure to feel the bite then gradually more until you can feel the stopping power.

Hope that helps.

Hope you also liked the Americanised spelling - I put an extra bit of effort in :D

I'd also suggest extra training with an instructor - partly because I'm not one and partly because there may be other things he can help you with.

Ride safe, buddy!!

Woody.

What he said.

I put both me feet down anyway - always have done, but then again i am a shortarse and both feet give me extra confidence so i know im not going over :lol:

Oddly enough, I find I can't actually pull away properly unless I have my right foot up on the peg!!!

That's muscle memory for ya!!!!

Whereas (in a futile attempt to completely muddy the waters), I always have my RIGHT foot on the deck when pulling away or stopping, purely to prevent the "Hendon two-step". Having your left foot down (Assuming you're in neutral at this point) means then putting down your right foot and raising your left to select first. You then put your left foor back doan and put your right foot on the peg. Thus the Hendon two-step, which looks most amusing from behind. (For the non UK members, Hendon is where the UK's Police college is located.)

I used to have the left foot down until I had the practice beaten out of me at a BikeSafe day. Well, they told me to try and break the habit, anyway. Which I have.

All other bits about the feathering out of the clutch etc. constitute sound advice, as far as I'm concerned.

Wow, thanks for all the great advice guys and gals. Ttaskmaster that was a great write-up, thanks. I have the clutch and throttle combination down pretty well as far as recognizing the "biting point". I'm still using the two feet approach when stopping and taking off; I would still like to break that habit though. Most times I take notice of putting my feet down too early when coming to a stop! It probably looks hilarious from behind as I probably look like the road runner trying to keep my feet up to the pace of the bike! Lol. I guess practice makes perfect...

I normally do not have a problem when taking-off in a straight line, it's usually when making an immediate turn left or right from a stop. That also probably gives great entertainment to others! Lol. I don't think I'm using the handlebar steering properly yet at slower speeds as that gives a totally different feeling/control. Last night I was practicing a lot of this in an empty parking lot just trying to get more comfortable with the bike's actions and reactions. There's actually an inclined intersection on my daily route that I'm extremely paranoid to use because I already stalled once from a go on it. I had to push the bike off to the shoulder and re-start it; talk about an embarassing experience!! <_<

I used to have the left foot down until I had the practice beaten out of me at a BikeSafe day. Well, they told me to try and break the habit, anyway. Which I have.

Out of curiosity and genuine interest, is there any particular reason NOT to do the Two-Step?

I haven't done a Bikesafe yet, but I am working through Roadcraft, so I'm intrigued.

When starting off from Neutral, I hold it with the front brake and stomp it into first (yes, in a manly Cruiser fashion), put my right foot up, transfer the braking if neccesary and then pull away in a DSA-friendly fashion.

At junctions etc etc, I'm stopped in 1st, back brake on and all that.

it's usually when making an immediate turn left or right from a stop.

Ah, OK.....

Something I read about in an advanced book, which I see being done by riders whose ability I respect;

Before moving off, lean the bike over slightly in the direction you wish to turn.

This helps to move in a smoother line and lessens the chance of hitting the opposite curb.

I don't notice the effect much on my big-ass Cruiser, but I do on bikes with a lesser rake angle on the forks - Like yours!!

Try it a few times somewhere quiet and see if it works for you!!

Every rider is different. I use to have to put only one foot down. Thanks to drag racing I now keep both feet on the ground. I find it easier. As far as take off goes, I now have to keep my right foot hanging in the air inorder for me to not stall out. So I feel your pain.

Should I be leaning for the turns during lower speeds and at take-offs or actually turning (the handlebars) for them?

For moving off as I described, lean the bike over slightly.

Not yourself, just the bike.

For slow turns, turn the handlebars.

Different bikes require you to lean in/out/stay upright. The only way to figure out what works best at which speeds is to practice somewhere and develop the feel for your bike.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online