XVS250 advice?

Chugaboom
This post is 5692 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello,

I just passed my test and after years of oggling the XVS125 from afar, now suspect that its power/weight ratio (not to mention my own power/weight ratio!) may mean it would labour a little more than would be comfortable, so I thought the 250 might be my best bet. ( I want to do my real learning on a smaller bike for a couple of years before getting anything really powerful)

That said, they seem to be really thin on the ground.

Has anyone got any suggestions beyond Bike Trader and MCN for finding one?

Also, does this mean spares are likely to be difficult to get hold of?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer, especially as technically I am a fraud, not yet being an owner of a Yamaha, or any other bike for that matter :rolleyes:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Do some Google searching.

That's where you find all the best deals.

Should be able to find several XVS125s for less than £1500, even in the height of 'summer'.

Never tried a 250, but I bet I could.

Hello,

I just passed my test and after years of oggling the XVS125 from afar, now suspect that its power/weight ratio (not to mention my own power/weight ratio!) may mean it would labour a little more than would be comfortable, so I thought the 250 might be my best bet. ( I want to do my real learning on a smaller bike for a couple of years before getting anything really powerful)

That said, they seem to be really thin on the ground.

Has anyone got any suggestions beyond Bike Trader and MCN for finding one?

Also, does this mean spares are likely to be difficult to get hold of?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer, especially as technically I am a fraud, not yet being an owner of a Yamaha, or any other bike for that matter :rolleyes:

..i'd consider a dragstar 125 if you agree with the following statements:

1). You're happy with a maximum speed (flat, medium wind) of 60mph.

2). You're not too bothered about acceleration (or ability to over-take) and are content with cruising.

3). You're willing to view the bike and it's abilities within its intended area of expertise (i.e. 125 learner-legal, but still being the absolute best-looking 125 available).

I've modded mine to the max and am more than happy with what i now get from the 125, but saying that i'm on a long-term plan to move up through the dragstar range to it's big brothers (and I mean big).

Regards,

Mark.

I could get 75mph out of mine.

Overtakes are very possible, but the 125 Drag will train you to do it with timing, rather than relying on power - A very good habit for riding bigger bikes.

I'd suggest not modding it as they keep their resale value and you'll want a big bike very soon. 125 to 650 is quite an easy transition.

Thanks Ttaskmaster and Markyboy

I will have another think about the 125. I'm no speed merchant, but I think I am more comfortable with having a quick(er) response from the engine, should I need it. I prefer to have a little in reserve.

Your point about overtaking discipline is very good though, and given the point of me going for a smaller bike intially was to start to learn the finer points of riding in a more controlled environment, then there is some value in going for the smaller bike. It's not something I had considered, so I appreciate your suggestion, and will give it some thought.

I did wonder this morning whether it is viable to get a 650 restricted to 33bhp, and who could do it/how much would it cost?

Does anyone have any experience of this? I suppose it makes a test ride problematic though?

Yes, it's viable.

The 650 is only 40BHP anyway, so dropping down to 33 doesn't make much difference unless you're racing against an unrestricted 650.

Cost is about £140 all in and can be done by any independant mechanic, so long as they supply official certification of the restriction.

Incidentally, the 125 Drag is about 12BHP, so you will notice the difference when riding a 650. It won't blast away like a Hayabusa but, by comparison, it ain't slow!!!

Slow control will be easier and cornering will feel more stable.

However, you will miss out on being forced to time your manoeuvres and all the other subtle delights of owning a 125.

If you do get a 650 and have never ridden anything larger than a 125, then take it easy.

Small adjustments on the controls, eh!!

I bought the 125 Dragstar, no regrets great bike ok not the fastest in the world but from 1-3 gear to gets to 40 mph pretty quickly for a 125 but I have to say if your learning to ride a motorbike I found this spot on. Finally after many years riding bikes decided to go for my full license test tommorrow because this bike gave me tons of convience. And ya if I do pass its 650 for me. I found best sitting your test on a 500 means you can drive any bike.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online