idiots in shorts

forest
This post is 5679 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Thats me - and im almost 40 :lol:

Lies! :angry:

would love to go see Thailand from my little Dt50, either that or Australia, not too sure about wearing all that leather in the Australian sun though.

i spent my holidays in Mijas, Spain. there you couldn't move without getting flattened by people wearing only a helmet for protection (stop sniggering...) its no surprise mopeds have such a bad reputation

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for shorts I wear them. My natural body temp is 100.2. So i'm always hot and it sucks. I do ride with shin guards and knee pads just in case. Not to mention I live in brunswick georgia and it's HOT here.

As for riding like a "twat" i don't know what that is. But when the speed limit is 50 mph and you and your friend are having a conversation at 45 mhp and i'm behind you. All I got to say is watch out. Cause i'm commin straight up the middle. Besides if you're over 65 you don't need a damn license. there's no road from your bed room to the kitchen.

As for shorts I wear them. My natural body temp is 100.2. So i'm always hot and it sucks. I do ride with shin guards and knee pads just in case. Not to mention I live in brunswick georgia and it's HOT here.

As for riding like a "twat" i don't know what that is. But when the speed limit is 50 mph and you and your friend are having a conversation at 45 mhp and i'm behind you. All I got to say is watch out. Cause i'm commin straight up the middle. Besides if you're over 65 you don't need a damn license. there's no road from your bed room to the kitchen.

This thread has become a bit tedious but briefly mention I think we are very safety conscious in UK. Just back from france and italy playing spot the Brits. Easy they are the ones in the protective gear sweating their nads off. Everyone else is in shorts and short sleeved shirts or similar and that includes on the motorways. The biker police do not wear protective gear either just helmets. Seriously, the risk of heatstroke has to be considered and the ability to ride must be impaired by being so hot with all that gear so whats the answer. They are all wrong- no i dont think so! Certianly blown away my conviction on wearing all the gear- at least in that heat.

This thread has become a bit tedious but briefly mention I think we are very safety conscious in UK. Just back from france and italy playing spot the Brits. Easy they are the ones in the protective gear sweating their nads off. Everyone else is in shorts and short sleeved shirts or similar and that includes on the motorways. The biker police do not wear protective gear either just helmets. Seriously, the risk of heatstroke has to be considered and the ability to ride must be impaired by being so hot with all that gear so whats the answer. They are all wrong- no i dont think so! Certianly blown away my conviction on wearing all the gear- at least in that heat.

Thats why you plan your journey carefully with plenty of stops. Wearing a t shirt under leathers in a hot country often keeps you cool - something i can vouch for whilst riding in Portugal a couple of years back! It was boiling hot, but none of us suffered heat stroke or any other adverse effects caused by over heating. Theres plenty of gear made for wearing in hot weather you can buy - draggin jeans, vented boots and gloves, jackets and trousers with flow-thru mesh that allows for rapid cooling, heck you can even buy a helmet liner - which although it wont stop your head from sweating, it will keep it dry by wicking away moisture. So all that "i dont wear them cos its too hot" is just a shit excuse IMO.

As for the thread being tedious - it might have gone off topic a little (guilty as charged) but its back on track and theres been some good posts - as the old saying goes - if you dont like it......... :rolleyes:

Riding like a 'twat'..... replace 'twat' with prick, dickhead, irresponsible motherfucker, gawd-damn sonofabitch or similar Hollywood description.

Basically someone who'll get what's coming to them :D

Frank Thomas 'Tourino' vented leathers - End of line sale - Was £360 for the set. Now £80!!

Get 'em while ya can - I did :D

I always try and wear full gear all year round regardless, even when I was on my 125, if you come off at 60 it's gonna sting whatever you're riding.

Before my missus got her leather trousers she was out on the back of mine in jeans so I would wear jeans as well, then I'd make even more sure than normal that I didn't do anything stupid, it's not fair to protect myself and not her as I think you feel slightly less vulnerable (and i use that term VERY lightly) with full gear on and if you are reminded all the time of how unprotected you are you allow for it. We have kids to think about.

Shorts are one thing but on the other hand, like I said, on the few times I have been out not fully protected I think I tend to take it easier, I don't want to come off anyway, especially not just in jeans, so I'm more mindful of it.

Shorts, twatting it down the road and blindspots, now THERE'S a combination I can rant about....

Well back on subject, in my case if I'm doing a ride full protective gear. But here bikes are a way of life. Not just for sport. So if you want to go get milk and ride 2 klms to get it. Ya I will wear shorts but I never skip the Helmet. You get in to traffic down town, the speeds will definetly be slow, cause traffic is slow.

If I'm going to do a ride like I used to do in my work days weekend sort of thing. Minimum of boots levis and long sleves shirts. I purchased a safety jacket, with the web venting, man that sucker is hot. Especially if you get stopped at one our four Min. red lights. If I could actually find something that was cool I definetly would wear it. But so far nothing. My wife has one and she is Thai, they never go out with out being covered, it about dark skin not safety and even she can't take the heat in the safety jacket when real heat hits. A common heat index during that period is above 100 F. that is your in the shade, once you step into the sun evreything changes dramatically

I think the difference is I essentially live on the equater, the sun is the most intense here than anywhere I have ever been.

I was originally a Desert Rat from the Palm Springs area, where temps in the summer are common at 120 F. I lived there for 23 years, it is hot in the summer no doubt it. But the intensity of the sun here far exceeds it. Worked in Kuawit for a short period temps can hit 140F and it was humid. But the intensity of the sun didn't even come close.

We are coming into our cool season and the wife I and I will be in full leathers for about three months. But that is our ride time here cool and no rain. The rides in between are really sanity rides. At the moment you try to get your errands done in the morning when it's cool. Back in the airconditioner play on the computer and wait for the sun to go down.

So if you guys know of something that provides protection and helps to stay a bit cooler, I would really like to know about it. But I wont be dressing out in leathers to go get milk ;)

I own a full size pickup as well with air in it, but the reality is the roads in the downtown area were never meant for a large amount of cars. They were meant for bikes. So for me the dailey things that people do is done on the bike it is just easier. But the speeds when your down town rarely get over 25 Klms, and less most of the time. It's a different world.

Ya I can put up wiht minor road rash, but the helmet, that is a totally different beast.

So if you guys know of something that provides protection and helps to stay a bit cooler, I would really like to know about it.

Vented leathers, perforated leathers etc etc.

Textiles, also with vents, perforated sections etc....

All come with armour and all are good.

Bear in mind these things:

1/. Sweat cools you down. Vented/perforated clothing allows the airflow to cool you.

2/. Sliding down the road at 40mph, your exposed flesh will be grated off (yes, just like a cheese grater) at the rate of 1 inch depth per second.

3/. Ground off flesh (fat, muscle, whatever) does NOT grow back.

Feel free to go riding in shorts, sandals or whatever you want.

Ain't gonna be skin off MY hide.......

Vented leathers, perforated leathers etc etc.

Textiles, also with vents, perforated sections etc....

All come with armour and all are good.

Bear in mind these things:

1/. Sweat cools you down. Vented/perforated clothing allows the airflow to cool you.

2/. Sliding down the road at 40mph, your exposed flesh will be grated off (yes, just like a cheese grater) at the rate of 1 inch depth per second.

3/. Ground off flesh (fat, muscle, whatever) does NOT grow back.

Feel free to go riding in shorts, sandals or whatever you want.

Ain't gonna be skin off MY hide.......

I ride with a Scorpion jacket. Its like a mesh material and it breathes. It costed about $400 american due to the fact that it has a zip-out rain liner and a zip-out thermal liner aswell. most of the time i just use the main jacket without the liners. due to it being so hot. However when it gets REALLY cold (where i live its about a week long) i will don the thermal liner and the jacket. if it's still cold i just throw on a hoodie.

Im 24 and i wouldnt ride in anything less than my bike jacket, and denim, always with proper boots. and full gloves.

but if i know im gonna give it some then no matter what the weather ill wear only one piece leathers.

you get loads of arguments in mcn defending it, i honestly believe that there is no argument......its not a case of being a free country, or helping the government to have more rules for us. its a case of common sense, and decency. cos i sure as hell dont want the person riding with just shorts on to get treatment on the NHS not as long as im paying into it.

People who ride in shorts.........

have OBVIOUSLY never gone done yet! :rolleyes:

Just remember:.....................It only takes ONCE! :unsure:

One final thing, shorts people.....

Google up Brittany Morrow.

'Nuff said.

As has already been said. Its common sense.

If you dont wear the right gear, whether it be boiling hot, freezing cold, whether you're going 200 miles or 2 miles - you are a fool - end of.

Dress for the fall - not the ride.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online